Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus strike from Sunday 04/08 [called off - service resumes 07/08]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭StreetLight

No, the courts will decide, but they haven't as no case has been brought about it. I'm sure it's easier to accept the status quo and hand over your union fees than take legal action, especially when the unions did so well for themselves during boom years.

But the status quo in that regard has existed during non-boom years also. Since it has not (as far as I know) been challenged, at any point regardless of the country's financial state, can it be assumed that it serves its purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

just one question on this strike, i live in ringsend road and there is bus depot close to me. today, the guys on strike are outside the depot and they parked the car along the street. no leaving space for others who want to use the pay parking meter. the clampers dont seem to be clamping them but for them to take pay parking spots without paying is also not right. are they allowed to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

just one question on this strike, i live in ringsend road and there is bus depot close to me. today, the guys on strike are outside the depot and they parked the car along the street. no leaving space for others who want to use the pay parking meter. the clampers dont seem to be clamping them but for them to take pay parking spots without paying is also not right. are they allowed to do this?

In a word .. no, whether or not you agree with the strike, just because they are on strike doesn't mean they are above the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

But the status quo in that regard has existed during non-boom years also. Since it has not (as far as I know) been challenged, at any point regardless of the country's financial state, can it be assumed that it serves its purpose?

You'd have to know exactly who is on these contracts that require union membership and what that membership does for their members. In a semistate like DB, the unions are effectively bargaining with the government and have won so many times during FF years that they believe they're in a strong position to continue fighting. This belief would likely filter to the members and would be unlikely to take on a case against the unions if they think they can keep a good deal with them.

If the unions fail it could be a different story with disenfranchisement from members feeling they're not getting what they pay the union fees for. Although, IMO that would be a naive belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    By who?

The strikers. This things is a tinderbox as it is. Nothing better than a confrontational escalation, such as sending in Army drivers, to turn normally mild mannered workers, picketing lawfully, into a mob.

Dont you remember the contract driver in Cork during the Bus Eireann dispute who was blockaded and man-handled and was made to disembark his passengers? That was after just one day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

According to radio 94% of DB staff voted for Industrial Action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The strikers. This things is a tinderbox as it is. Nothing better than a confrontational escalation, such as sending in Army drivers, to turn normally mild mannered workers, picketing lawfully, into a mob.

Dont you remember the contract driver in Cork during the Bus Eireann dispute who was blockaded and man-handled and was made to disembark his passengers? That was after just one day.
    It's a lot easier to intimidate one driver with a bus full of passengers than the army. If those boys can keep their head in war zones a few DB guys won't concern them.

it's a moot point anyway - the army cannot be called in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

ax586 wrote: »
    I know of a driver this morning that was sitting at a,set of lights in his car when a member of the public came over to him and spat at him

I saw an on-strike bus driver hitting an old woman over the head with his placard after she asked him if he knew when the buses would be running again.

I saw an on-strike bus driver hitting an old woman over the head with his placard after she asked him if he knew when the buses would be running again.

Really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

What are the chances of this strike running into tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Really.

Really.

About 100%. The way its looking there's about a 70% chance we'll still be here in a week and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

90%, but would require something special for that 10% chance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No one can answer that right now - just keep watching the news.

Until the LRC intervenes, the strike will continue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Basically, you should consider it on, until you hear for certain it's off.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,307 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That's a lie. Why would you lie? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That's a lie. Why would you lie? :(

I think you missed the point he was making - that both stories are pretty unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,307 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I think you missed the point he was making - that both stories are pretty unlikely.

:o:rolleyes:

Yep, missed that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I fully support Leo's V decision not to get involved with this action. Best decision he has ever made and if he did he would be just playing into the NBRU hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

I agree with what they're doing here in some respects, but they really need to get their acts together - there's only so long you can ask a colleague to come out of their way to collect you! (And no there is no train/DART/luas near me - I live on the 4/13 routes :/)

• Advertisement

Dont worry, if it keeps up there wont be a DART near anyone by the end of the week.

At least the one good thing the FF'ers did was make sure LUAS was run privately on a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

Dont worry, if it keeps up there wont be a DART near anyone by the end of the week.

At least the one good thing the FF'ers did was make sure LUAS was run privately on a contract.

So I heard! If that goes ahead Dublin is rightly f*ked!

If only the LUAS was any good to me! A few people on here have suggested Taxi's to get to work like it's nothing - it wouldn't be worth my while getting taxi's in and out - I'd lose money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

About 100%. The way its looking there's about a 70% chance we'll still be here in a week and beyond.

And drivers will lose in wages what they would have - maybe - lose in perks. Genius move.

mhge wrote: »
    And drivers will lose in wages what they would have - maybe - lose in perks. Genius move.

They'll certainly suffer this week, however they obviously feel protecting remuneration in the long run is worth it.

They'll certainly suffer this week, however they obviously feel protecting remuneration in the long run is worth it.

By racking up several more million in losses :>

Apparently. Industrial action always seems counter-productive on the face of it but the bigger picture is for a sustainable future for company and employees alike. Too many babies have been thrown out with the bathwater since this economic collapse, if more citizens generally had acted against the governments in a way that said 'stop, no further' perhaps the country wouldnt still be dying the slow death that it is.

That said, I preferred the idea mentioned in the last few days of carrying on the bus service but not charging passengers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If the drivers don't strike, they've no other way to oppose. By starting a bus, they will be de facto agreeing to the terms they are disputing.
    Apparently. Industrial action always seems counter-productive on the face of it but the bigger picture is for a sustainable future for company and employees alike. Too many babies have been thrown out with the bathwater since this economic collapse, if more citizens generally had acted against the governments in a way that said 'stop, no further' perhaps the country wouldnt still be dying the slow death that it is.

That said, I preferred the idea mentioned in the last few days of carrying on the bus service but not charging passengers

They aren't allowed to "Work to Rule." It's been mentioned either in this thread, or the one over in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 JohnInDublin59

I keep hearing this type of thing, incl from the NBRU – ‘we won’tstand idly by’, that sort of drivel.

I'm genuinely curious. I don't know a lot about labour law but I assume they'd have to have astrike ballot in Irish Rail and give proper notice.

I just wonder – is that sort of ‘sympathy strike’ legal?

Also the IR workers would have to go on strike not over THEIRpay or conditions but over the pay and conditions in a different company. (OK, they're all CIE, but still a separatecompany.) It just seems ludicrous to me.

If the drivers don't strike, they've no other way to oppose. By starting a bus, they will be de facto agreeing to the terms they are disputing.

They aren't allowed to "Work to Rule." It's been mentioned either in this thread, or the one over in AH.

There are plenty of ways such as rolling limited strikes, taking out routes for a day etc. If they want to go full on just to keep perks average commuter can dream of, all they'll get is continuing trend in falling numbers once it's over, plus a bigger hole of their own creation. Making ordinary people shell out for taxis or risk their jobs to keep 2.5x overtime, great stuff. Racking up several more million when they can't talk about the hole they already have, brilliant.

We are inconvenienced at home but let them strike all they want. Privatisation's next and they have just shown the public why it's badly needed...

• Advertisement

There are plenty of ways such as rolling limited strikes, taking out routes for a day etc. If they want to go full on just to keep perks average commuter can dream of, all they'll get is continuing trend in falling numbers once it's over, plus a bigger hole of their own creation. Making ordinary people shell out for taxis or risk their jobs to keep 2.5x overtime, great stuff. Racking up several more million when they can't talk about the hole they already have, brilliant.

We are inconvenienced at home but let them strike all they want. Privatisation's next and they have just shown the public why it's badly needed...

Once they drive a bus, there's no going back on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement