Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oddest use of Ireland in a video game perhaps?

• 30-07-2013 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭

So I play War Thunder. Its a lot of fun and I really enjoy it.

But the developers have a strange use for Ireland

1000000_eng_infographics.jpg

http://warthunder.com/en/news/219/current/

Not the first time they've name dropped Ireland specifically

last time it wad to announce one of their maps was *inspired* by the landscape of Ireland
    Pilots!

War Thunder proudly presents first screenshots for the new maps for the Arcade Battles of the upcoming global update!

Meet two maps with working titles «Cliffed Coast» and «Desert Coast»!

Cliffed Coast

Cliffed coast is a quiet rural region by the sea. Walls of an ancient castle rise above the gorgeous rolling lowlands. Small villages are scattered about beneath tall cliffs. The map was inspired by the picturesque views of the green meadows and hills of Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

WE'RE FAMOUS LADS!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've always wanted to shoot down some planes over the skies of Ireland, and in 2013 i'll get my wish :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I might add the map *inspired by ireland* really doesnt look like Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I might add the map *inspired by ireland* really doesnt look like Ireland.

The south half of Westeros, now THAT'S inspired by Ireland.

Broken Sword 2. Probably the worst Irish accents in gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CS Condition Zero's bizarre final level set in a Belfast high rise was pretty damn strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Wasn't Folklore on the PS3 set in Japanese Ireland? The brief few minutes of video I saw of it seemed odd, but not sure if it had anything to do with the setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Wasn't Folklore on the PS3 set in Japanese Ireland? The brief few minutes of video I saw of it seemed odd, but not sure if it had anything to do with the setting.
    Yep. Good enough game to play. Awful accents though. And a talking scarecrow wearing a Union Jack. Feckin japanese :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

One of the regiments in The Witcher 2 - all the soldiers had strong Dublin accents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

It was set in Doolin, it was very odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Broken Sword 2. Probably the worst Irish accents in gaming.

You're thinking of Broken Sword 1 :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah begorrah, he's right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Broken_Sword_Goat.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Nah worst accent has to be in Shadowman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B560lCn5kGU

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There was a video game on the Amstrad called Tir na nOg :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Kiith wrote: »
    I've always wanted to shoot down some planes over the skies of Ireland, and in 2013 i'll get my wish :P

Just pray you don't crash land in Kerry..

Was it 1 or 2 that they went to Ireland? Also, that. fucking goat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Was it 1 or 2 that they went to Ireland? Also, that. fucking goat.

1. Fcuking goat.

Oh and MORE BEER OVER HERE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Clive Barkers Undying took place in Ireland in 1923, FPS horror game, and a dam scary one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

Maybe I'm pulling this out of my rear end, but wasn't Nina from the original Tekken on the original playstation from Ireland? Perhaps Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Over in Korea now. One of my students told me they play an RPG called "Mabinogi" , a lot of Koreans do.

When I had a look into see what type of game it was when I went went home, I was suprised to find out the names of some characters and places in the game

For a start, the world is called "Erinn"

Other place names include Bangor, Sidhe Sneachta, Coill, the Uladh continent, Sliabh Cuilin, Tara, Tir Chonaill, Tir na nOg, and the story starts off about the goddess Morrighan

http://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/
    http://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Generation_1:_Advent_of_the_Goddess

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Lordhogo

In Frederic the Resurrection of Music (a decent mobile rhythm game where you play as the late composer Frederic Chopin and take part in musical duels across the globe), there is a level where you duel a group of Irish Poles/Leprachauns in the Irish countryside to a Celtic type song.

I tried to find a video of the level but no luck. Please tell me I'm not the only one to have experienced this bizarre encounter.

Lordhogo wrote: »
    In Frederic the Resurrection of Music (a decent mobile rhythm game where you play as the late composer Frederic Chopin and take part in musical duels across the globe), there is a level where you duel a group of Irish Poles/Leprachauns in the Irish countryside to a Celtic type song.

I tried to find a video of the level but no luck. Please tell me I'm not the only one to have experienced this bizarre encounter.

Please tell me this is a real game and not an LSD trip!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Maybe I'm pulling this out of my rear end, but wasn't Nina from the original Tekken on the original playstation from Ireland? Perhaps Dublin?

I can't remember if they gave Nina a specific hometown but she was definitely Irish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Yeah, she was Irish.
    Prob not mentioned cause thread is new...but one that always stuck out for me was at the end of Metal Gear Solid

and of course, I knew I was going to like the game, but probably added immeasurably to my love of it when I heard his voice

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

One of the regiments in The Witcher 2 - all the soldiers had strong Dublin accents.

A lot of nordies in it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

wiith the amount of game techs coming out of ireland over the last few years we are bound to get a look in - iirc alot of irish development company's get work for most of the big games coming out, it goes without saying ireland would have decent representation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

I remember when I had the SNES, I got a lend of this racing game (can't remember the title) and there were different characters you could choose to race with!

Anyways, in the booklet that came with the game they had one character who was called Learner Driver or something to that effect and his profile picture was a goofy/clumsy looking fella. To my horror, his nationality was Irish!

I had a quick google for SNES racing games it but couldn't find anything like it in the initial list that I saw but will try again! Talk about insulting!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Yeah, she was Irish.
    Prob not mentioned cause thread is new...but one that always stuck out for me was at the end of Metal Gear Solid

I do not remember that at all. What part of the game was it played in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Yes - to this day I still think it's odd as they never really elaborated on it since the first game, she never had an accent, even though they still list her as Irish in her bio.

I do remember her ending in Tekken 2 was set in a vaguely Irish-looking graveyard but that's it.

Advertisement