Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening a web based business

Options
  • 30-07-2013 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies in advance if these answered have been answered before; I couldn't find them through search.
    I am planning to open a web based business, selling women's accessories online. I won't have any premises or a business location as such, this will only be me accepting online payments & delivering products by post/courier.
    1) What legal actions do I have to do, like register as a sole trader, register my company name, fill out self tax assessment forms etc?
    2) Do I have to have receipts of stock purchases available when importing goods? Some stock will be imported from EU wholesale hypermarkets, some ordered online from China.
    3) Do I legally have to adhere to/create policies for returns, refunds etc. ?

Any information will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Try the following search terms in the "search this forum" link at the top of the main 'Entrepreneurial & Business Management' page:

Start a business
    start a company
    register company
    import china
    importing china
    accounts
    accounting
    book-keeping
    distance selling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

It would seem that you are a very long way from actually being in a position to start a business as you are clearly not aware of even the basics of what is needed to startup, let alone run one .
    Have you identified a market and done the research?
    Have you the budget to promote and take on the big retailers already in this online space.
    Have you the budget to design and build a knockout eCommerce website?
    Most online only stores take 2-4 years of trading losses with no income for the promoters to reach a financially viable trading level, have you factored in this level of working capital.
    Or perhaps it is just a hobby type businees you are looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭nobodiez

Hi Peter, thanks for your reply. We have identified a fairly large market, mostly based for East European customers who have difficulty buying clothes/accessories that they used to buy back home.
    Budget is sorted for now, obviously we won't have huge lots of stock, but no business starts huge.
    This is not a hobby business, but a chance to make a dream come true, and try out an idea, even if it fails, which is obviously a possibility, it's not the end of the world since we have other sources of income.
    It would seem that you are a very long way from actually being in a position to start a business as you are clearly not aware of even the basics of what is needed to startup, let alone run one .
    Have you identified a market and done the research?
    Have you the budget to promote and take on the big retailers already in this online space.
    Have you the budget to design and build a knockout eCommerce website?
    Most online only stores take 2-4 years of trading losses with no income for the promoters to reach a financially viable trading level, have you factored in this level of working capital.
    Or perhaps it is just a hobby type businees you are looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Good luck with your business. Interesting to see you doing a counter direction trade compared to all the used clothing etc that is going the other way out of Ireland!

Advertisement