Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog sitting in your own home?

• 30-07-2013 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭

Hi all... Now, before ye all think I'm some sort of fruitcake... I'm a designer and used to thinking 'outside the box' on most things.

So, to our upcoming holiday... It'll be the first in over 2 years that we won't be either A. Taking Hugo with us OR B. have family to look after him (as we're all off together).

Does such a thing exist in the Limerick or surrounding area where someone will come to your home, let out your dog and walk him/her twice daily, feed and put to bed at night?

Or would anyone have experience in letting a young neighbour or family friend do this (paid of course) in place of kennelling him? It's only for 5 days - and I'm exploring non-kennel ideas.

As odd as it sounds, I'd happily let a stranger into my home (like the holiday house swaps you hear of) for 5 days - so long as Hugo got to keep his routine. They'd get a 5 day break in and around the mid-west and I'd get a dog sitter...

I've just heard so many horror stories in regards to kennelling (escapes, mistreatment, poor feeding, etc...) that I'm looking to keep Hugo in his familiar environment to avoid any issues during or after kennelling...

Thoughts A&PI peeps?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

There's http://www.petsit.ie/ or http://www.petsittersireland.com/. You might find a local company or person listed there.

I would also go to your vets and ask them have they anybody that they could personally recommend. My vets has a large noticeboard with all things pet related, kennels, boarding, pet sitting, walking, grooming etc. It helps then if the vet knows them personally, should they attend the clinic etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Yep, definitely this exists...you're not mad! :D I did it for almost 8 years and it never ceased to amaze me how some people were more than happy to hand over the keys of their home. I think i had a very honest face :p
    I would also go to your vets and ask them have they anybody that they could personally recommend. My vets has a large noticeboard with all things pet related, kennels, boarding, pet sitting, walking, grooming etc. It helps then if the vet knows them personally, should they attend the clinic etc.
    +1 This is the best way to start as you will have guaranteed references straight off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

I dog sit regularly for two of my neighbours but this is really only becasue they know I am an animal lover as I have two cats and dote on them. I must be as for the boxer dog I look after I had to learn dog language in Turkish to communicate which him. I can now tell a Turkish person to sit, or give me their paw, etc.

A neighbour of a friend however did this and unfortunately the dog was not looked after, they did feed it but it was just left in the back virtually everyday. If you are leaving them with a neighbour you really have to trust them that they do care about animals. The fact that they are young would not make a difference whatsoever. Your local vet will probably have details of people he is aware of but as my neighbours say, they are so glad to be living next to me as the dogs know me very well which makes it much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I no longer send my dogs to kennels when we go away (which we dont often do any more, cos of the dogs, hens, horse :rolleyes:) The dogs MUCH prefer to stay in their own homes/environment than go to a kennel (although, we were lucky and had found a very nice/safe/friendly/small kennel/setup) After much experimentation - we did 'swops' with friends - I mind ur dog when ur away, then u mind mine type set up - but now we have found a woman who is a dog lover, we pay her to come to our house twice a day, walk them twice/day, feed etc then bed them down in the house, with the radio/lights on. They are at home at least, granted with no humans, and is as good as we can come up with (which is why we dont go away very often and then not for very long)

Since Hugo is on his own, would it be easier for him to have him go to someone in their house rather than leave him at home all day alone, or is he used to that if you work? I know a woman who boards dogs in her home - crates in the sitting room, dog beds everywhere - thought using her but my dogs are nuisances and dont mix well :rolleyes:

You are lucky you can leave him with family usually, but finding someone that you trust, that Hugo trusts/likes that you can pay to come and mind him is a great option - during school hols an animal lover teenager (my own teen daughter is tending/feeding 3 dogs/2cats/6 horses for someone twice/day at the moment) is good if you can find one. Otherwise I would advertise in local supermarket, ask at your vet, ask at any local rescue centre if they know an animal lover who would be glad to earn some money minding your dog. I would recommend that you have the person come visit Hugo with you at least once, then maybe have them take Hugo for a walk or something another time (without you) and see how he's looking/behaving with them afterwards.

good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Hooked wrote: »
    Hi all... Now, before ye all think I'm some sort of fruitcake... I'm a designer and used to thinking 'outside the box' on most things.

So, to our upcoming holiday... It'll be the first in over 2 years that we won't be either A. Taking Hugo with us OR B. have family to look after him (as we're all off together).

Does such a thing exist in the Limerick or surrounding area where someone will come to your home, let out your dog and walk him/her twice daily, feed and put to bed at night?

Or would anyone have experience in letting a young neighbour or family friend do this (paid of course) in place of kennelling him? It's only for 5 days - and I'm exploring non-kennel ideas.

As odd as it sounds, I'd happily let a stranger into my home (like the holiday house swaps you hear of) for 5 days - so long as Hugo got to keep his routine. They'd get a 5 day break in and around the mid-west and I'd get a dog sitter...

I've just heard so many horror stories in regards to kennelling (escapes, mistreatment, poor feeding, etc...) that I'm looking to keep Hugo in his familiar environment to avoid any issues during or after kennelling...

Thoughts A&PI peeps?

Care to share some of the stories you've heard ?
    Maybe 'name & shame' the kennels you've used & where these things, to your certain knowledge, have happened ?

Hope you can find someone who can provide some companionship & affection as well as feeding & letting Hugo out to toilet twice a day while you're on holidays :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Hey Hooked, i'm thinking about the exact same thing with Cooper at the moment. I have found a great airfare hime to Oz for Xmas, but the dates mean i'd be gone almost 3 weeks :( i don't know how i feel about leaving him for so long at a relatively young age and really don't want to kennel him for that long. Let me know if you manage to find someone you are happy with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Howdy all... Just adding to this old thread.

Returned yesterday, having spent 6 nights in Spain. Decided to leave Hugo at home (as opposed to kenneling) and have him looked after (fed and walked) by a trusted family member.

Bar Hugo going absolutely 'circle turning' crazy when we arrived home last night - he seems otherwise unphased by our absence.

I just spoke to my elderly neighbour who confirmed that there wasn't a peep out of him out back all week. Bar when his servant arrived to feed and walk him.

I know kenneling isn't the 'worst' option in the world. We reckoned it was best for Hugo to stay in a familiar environment - with the only 'variable' being his servant for the week.

Seems we'll be a little less hesitant to be 'greedy' and spoil ourselves in the future. Knowing Hugo is happy - once he has his routine, the person walking and feeding him seems irrelevant.

Just wanted to share our experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

hi mel b what breed is your dog and is he a happy dog i could help you out if you like i have 3 dogs and thye have a daily routine i could keep him for you ,3 weeks is too long to keep him on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Thanks puppyperson for the offer. I would never leave him for 3 weeks alone -i worry about him even during the day while i am at work! A work collegue has kindly offered to have him while i am gone :)

Advertisement