Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in New York?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

MOR316 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ... I feel like I've said this in the vast majority of my posts

For the final time, I have no interest in going to any of those places!
    This is what I've wanted since I was a kid! That's it!

If I wanted out just to go anywhere, do you really think I'd be wasting my time in this thread?

All I want is some help in getting to the place and advice on how to do it! I don't want posts like, "Ugh well it's easier to go to this country" and "You're naive" and "It's ****" because they're not exactly helpful!

If anyone has something useful to contribute, that I can use or you can help me with something, great! :) I'm all ears and I'll be incredibly thankful and appreciative!
    If all you're going to do is spout stuff to try turn me off, don't bother!

You say you want advice on how to get there. You are being given that advice and are being told it’s extremely difficult. No point in throwing a tantrum just because you aren’t getting the answers you wish you could get. Nobody is gonna come along and tell you any magic words to tell immigration to get granted a visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭MOR316

You say you want advice on how to get there. You are being given that advice and are being told it’s extremely difficult. No point in throwing a tantrum just because you aren’t getting the answers you wish you could get. Nobody is gonna come along and tell you any magic words to tell immigration to get granted a visa.

Sorry, I must have missed where, "It's ****" and "Naive" and "Go elsewhere" is really helping me

I know it's difficult! I'm fully aware of this! That's not advice, that's repeating yourself over and over and telling me something I already know.

Sorry, I must have missed where, "It's ****" and "Naive" and "Go elsewhere" is really helping me

You’re being called naive because when you’re being presented with the facts of the situation you just reply with sound bites like “where there’s a will there’s a way”. That might sound good but it won’t get you anywhere in reality. I’m not trying to put you down. I would also love to someday live and work in the states.

If you don’t want to be called naive maybe stop being naive?

You’re being told the same thing over and over because they are the facts. Again, you’re just annoyed because it’s not what you want to hear.

You’re being called naive because when you’re being presented with the facts of the situation you just reply with sound bites like “where there’s a will there’s a way”. That might sound good but it won’t get you anywhere in reality. I’m not trying to put you down. I would also love to someday live and work in the states.

If you don’t want to be called naive maybe stop being naive?

Or maybe, just maybe, the whole "where there's a will there is a way" is me saying, "Yeah I guess you're right but, I'm still going to keep trying no matter what?"

Or, does that go over people's heads?

[QUOTE=BuzzMcdonnell;114698452
    You’re being told the same thing over and over because they are the facts. Again, you’re just annoyed because it’s not what you want to hear.[/QUOTE]

Such a load of ****!

I'm annoyed because that's telling me something I already know and have known!
    It's the equivalent of telling me water is wet.

It's not what I was asking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭HBC08

Jesus Christ... I feel like I've said this in the vast majority of my posts

For the final time, I have no interest in going to any of those places!
    This is what I've wanted since I was a kid! That's it!

If I wanted out just to go anywhere, do you really think I'd be wasting my time in this thread?

All I want is some help in getting to the place and advice on how to do it! I don't want posts like, "Ugh well it's easier to go to this country" and "You're naive" and "It's ****" because they're not exactly helpful!

If anyone has something useful to contribute, that I can use or you can help me with something, great! :) I'm all ears and I'll be incredibly thankful and appreciative!
    If all you're going to do is spout stuff to try turn me off, don't bother!

I think you should buy a ticket and head to the airport. If and when you are questioned you should jump up and down,stomp your feet on the ground and have a childish meltdown like above.
    Report back and let us know how it goes.

Such a load of ****!

I'm annoyed because that's telling me something I already know and have known!
    It's the equivalent of telling me water is wet.

It's not what I was asking

So tell us, what are you actually asking?

HBC08 wrote: »
    I think you should buy a ticket and head to the airport. If and when you are questioned you should jump up and down,stomp your feet on the ground and have a childish meltdown like above.
    Report back and let us know how it goes.

Hey, you've got one "thank you" already. Hope it made your day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Or maybe, just maybe, the whole "where there's a will there is a way" is me saying, "Yeah I guess you're right but, I'm still going to keep trying no matter what?"

Or, does that go over people's heads?

So what have you done towards this goal in the 6 or so months since you first posted to this thread?

So tell us, what are you actually asking?

Why bother?

I asked earlier in the thread and some people were kind enough to tell me ways. I thanked them, am very grateful to them and I'm currently exploring those ways and talking to people I know over there about it

I kept replying to this thread I guess out of politeness and I enjoyed conversation...But, if all I'm getting now is "go elsewhere" "It's ****" "You're so naive" and a poster above ridiculing me, why would I bother?

Constant streams of "yeah it's difficult..." I'm fully aware of that and it's not what I'm asking nor what I'm here for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Well, how about this...

Since I didn't say it and I'm only repeating what a friend told me, I'll PM you his number and you can give him a call and tell him how you feel. That sound good?

Ya good plan, I’ll be sure to call him right away.

They spouted some shpeil out of a Disney movie, then you repeated it, and when questioned you gave his vast travel experience as verification of his views. I don’t need to speak to either of ye to know they are talking through their hoop.

Listen, New York is great, but getting to work there legally is tricky. Easiest ways I know are either the J1 graduate visa, work for a company that openly sponsors people to go (first derivatives in Newry as an example have several hundred New York based staff at any one time if you’re willing to join a grad program and are good at maths), get really good at music or theatre or else look into the O visas.

Other than that you’re going illegally and it’s likely unless you’re willing to overstay an ESTA visit you will fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MudHutInaRut

+1 on J1 graduate or training visa. There's a lot of paperwork involved but it is possible to do the filing yourself. Hardest part is finding a company who will agree to sponsor you for the visa as it is a huge hassle for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Lucky bastards...

Someone summed it up, for me. They've been all over the world, places I never even knew existed.

They said, "It's the one place where everything you've learned in life makes sense to you"

I love New York. Lived there for 9 months and dreamt about going back there for years, similar to you now. I'm not having a go at you but I wish I tried other places sooner because I later found these "it's the one place in the world" stuff to be BS.

I found that out through travel with work to places I would have had zero interest to visit otherwise: Tokyo, Hong Kong and Singapore would be the big three that broke the allure of NYC to me. Tokyo and Hong Kong have a better buzz about them, the hum of day to day life is a level higher than in NYC. All three have better food. If you are a single male, the dating scene is far, far more favorable in those three cities than in NYC (I would say even if you don't like Asian women the dating scene is still better in Singapore and HK than in NYC). The visa situation is infinitely better in all 3 (I believe all 3 do working holiday visas for Irish). The expat scene in all three cities is far more open, more diverse and easier to integrate into than NYC, in short its easier to make friends. Singapore and Hong Kong have unbelieve and affordable short hop destinations, the likes you cannot get from NYC: you can be in paradise in the Philippines or Bali in an hour. All three are safer than NYC and have better public transportation. The weather is much better in all three, especially HK and Sing. New York really only beats them for live sports, flights home, nightlife and culture. Tokyo challenges NYC for nightlife and culture it's really a matter of taste. In fairness the nightlife is unquestionably better in NYC than HK and Sing but that's not to say its poor in either of those places either. Culture New York destroys HK and Sing.

Sorry for the long winded post and I know the Asian cities may not be for you but the point I'm trying to get across is that if you are a single young person, looking for an experience for 12 to 18 months, NYC is not the be all and end all. Hope you find what your looking for.

Ya good plan, I’ll be sure to call him right away.

They spouted some shpeil out of a Disney movie, then you repeated it, and when questioned you gave his vast travel experience as verification of his views. I don’t need to speak to either of ye to know they are talking through their hoop.

Listen, New York is great, but getting to work there legally is tricky. Easiest ways I know are either the J1 graduate visa, work for a company that openly sponsors people to go (first derivatives in Newry as an example have several hundred New York based staff at any one time if you’re willing to join a grad program and are good at maths), get really good at music or theatre or else look into the O visas.

Other than that you’re going illegally and it’s likely unless you’re willing to overstay an ESTA visit you will fail.

Apologies. I've a **** of a sinus infection and my frustration with it earlier boiled over and obviously took it out on this thread. My apologies to anyone I came across badly to.

Thanks for that, appreciate it. If say you were involved in the arts, as you say, how would that stand for you in terms of visas?

The ESTA thing, I was never going to overstay. However, until I do find something more substantial/legal, I will go for 3 months and live it up, as soon as I can. That was my point. Sarcasm was me saying "I'll go for 3 months and then 2 months"

snotboogie wrote: »
    I love New York. Lived there for 9 months and dreamt about going back there for years, similar to you now. I'm not having a go at you but I wish I tried other places sooner because I later found these "it's the one place in the world" stuff to be BS.

I found that out through travel with work to places I would have had zero interest to visit otherwise: Tokyo, Hong Kong and Singapore would be the big three that broke the allure of NYC to me. Tokyo and Hong Kong have a better buzz about them, the hum of day to day life is a level higher than in NYC. All three have better food. If you are a single male, the dating scene is far, far more favorable in those three cities than in NYC (I would say even if you don't like Asian women the dating scene is still better in Singapore and HK than in NYC). The visa situation is infinitely better in all 3 (I believe all 3 do working holiday visas for Irish). The expat scene in all three cities is far more open, more diverse and easier to integrate into than NYC, in short its easier to make friends. Singapore and Hong Kong have unbelieve and affordable short hop destinations, the likes you cannot get from NYC: you can be in paradise in the Philippines or Bali in an hour. All three are safer than NYC and have better public transportation. The weather is much better in all three, especially HK and Sing. New York really only beats them for live sports, flights home, nightlife and culture. Tokyo challenges NYC for nightlife and culture it's really a matter of taste. In fairness the nightlife is unquestionably better in NYC than HK and Sing but that's not to say its poor in either of those places either. Culture New York destroys HK and Sing.

Sorry for the long winded post and I know the Asian cities may not be for you but the point I'm trying to get across is that if you are a single young person, looking for an experience for 12 to 18 months, NYC is not the be all and end all. Hope you find what your looking for.

Nah, don't apologise. I appreciate people telling me their experiences.

NY, is just for me. It's a personal thing. That said, I would gladly go explore the likes of HK and Tokyo after. A culture I'd love to experience and to live in for a time. Only one life, gotta live it. I've mates there too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭NSAman

I lived in New York for two years. It is still my favourite city in the world. Yes I have been all over the world and lived in mud huts in Africa and swanky apartments in various cities.

New York is not an easy city, but once you have the basics sorted, job accommodation, it is a great place to meet people. Its an easy city once the basics are fulfilled. Entertainment, food and social life are currently curtailed as they are everywhere..and getting into the US is mightily difficult at the moment.

I hope you do try to live there. Life is about living and I am currently living in the US in the middle of nowhere and loving it. There is nothing wrong with trying something new, too many people live the grind, without pushing themselves outside the comfort zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I've lived in New York for 20 years, started my own business in the mid 2000s and had to live on roughly 50k (or less) for the first few years - my lifestyle was fine and I was living in a very nice part of Manhattan at that time. Like I say, the vast majority of people in this city do not earn anything like 90k. These days my rent plus all utilities and bills comes to about $1,100 a month. If I was on a 50k salary that would leave about $600 per week for food clothes, recreation, etc. In New York that can go a long way. I go out anytime I like to restaurants, bars, concerts etc - the idea that you need that kind of money to live here is a total myth.

To be fair, your point about 50k may or may not be valid, but pointing out that you were able to manage on 50k 15 years ago is not really proof one way or the other

This site quotes inflation of about 33% over that time. 50k today would buy, on average, what 37.6k would have bought in 2005.

Edit: To add, I misread your post. Inflation over your 20 year period is actually 55%. So your 50k today would buy what 32.3k would have bought in 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ReturningForY

snotboogie wrote: »

In NYC you encounter the "NYC is the one and only place in the world" attitude a lot. Someone once described it to me as a cult, and I think it's kind of true. Some cultish features of it:
    • People living in NY spend a disproportionate amount of time talking about how they love living here.
    • Any negative comments on NYC (for example, about the sometimes crappy subway service) are often qualified with "but I still love it here!"
    • Many people get really uncomfortable when you start listing ways in which Southern California is nicer to live in than NYC. Honestly I just do this to random New Yorkers just to get a rise out of them.

The key is somehow to balance the enormously positive aspects of NY without falling into the trap of thinking it's a special snowflake and that you can't live anywhere else. So +1 to the idea of trying out other cities.

[*]Many people get really uncomfortable when you start listing ways in which Southern California is nicer to live in than NYC. Honestly I just do this to random New Yorkers just to get a rise out of them.
    [/LIST]

And on that comparison between Southern California and New York.... you gotta be kidding...;)

California has to have the most boring, social climbing wanna-be's on the face of the planet!

I have worked there quite a lot and each time I just come home thinking...WHY?

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I'd love to spend time in Newyork, such vibrancy and there's something that draws me there.

A romantic notion of a desire to walk the streets and walk around Central Park, sit in a cafe on a winters evening watching the snow swirl around sipping on a strong coffee..
    People wrapped up in their winter wollies.
    That raw New Yoike accent and the art galleries and museums oh wow.

The absolut immersion in city life, then head upstate Newyork and go on a rural adventure...

Maybe next winter :)

• Advertisement

nthclare wrote: »
    I'd love to spend time in Newyork, such vibrancy and there's something that draws me there.

A romantic notion of a desire to walk the streets and walk around Central Park, sit in a cafe on a winters evening watching the snow swirl around sipping on a strong coffee..
    People wrapped up in their winter wollies.
    That raw New Yoike accent and the art galleries and museums oh wow.

The absolut immersion in city life, then head upstate Newyork and go on a rural adventure...

Maybe next winter :)

Coming home late a night kicking the trash, watching the Rats run wild... pure bliss..;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

NSAman wrote: »
    Coming home late a night kicking the trash, watching the Rats run wild... pure bliss..;)

LOL dressed in a santa suit, covered in stains and a lobster hanging out of the left pocket and a bottle of paddy's in the other, singing the fairy tale of Newyork and blaming my delinquency on an exe from 1994 who broke up with me for the local yoke dealer from Cloughleigh in Ennis...

Saying some day I'll be back in the home country fall up to the apartment and the coors advertisement across the road flashing in background.
    Wake up in the morning and do it all over again

Pure bliss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

NSAman wrote: »
    And on that comparison between Southern California and New York.... you gotta be kidding...;)

California has to have the most boring, social climbing wanna-be's on the face of the planet!

I have worked there quite a lot and each time I just come home thinking...WHY?

:)

SoCal is a big place.

It's not all surfers and pot heads. Try other places in SoCal next time.

SoCal is a big place.

It's not all surfers and pot heads. Try other places in SoCal next time.

Oh I know, been all over California, I personally still don’t get the allure of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Apologies. I've a **** of a sinus infection and my frustration with it earlier boiled over and obviously took it out on this thread. My apologies to anyone I came across badly to.

Thanks for that, appreciate it. If say you were involved in the arts, as you say, how would that stand for you in terms of visas?

The ESTA thing, I was never going to overstay. However, until I do find something more substantial/legal, I will go for 3 months and live it up, as soon as I can. That was my point. Sarcasm was me saying "I'll go for 3 months and then 2 months"

Be careful with the 3 months thing as well. I haven't read the whole thread and not sure what your work situation is but I spoke to a lad on a flight home from the US a few years ago who had spent a few days being held by immigration despite having a return ticket for a week after his outbound flight because he wasn't working and they thought he'd overstay. Flight I was on with him was the first flight home they could get him on. Obviously that's not going to happen with to you with pre-clearence from Dublin (this lad flew out from Belfast so didn't have that luxury) but the point is immigration officers can be tough as feck if they have any reason to believe you'll overstay. I'm not saying don't try it, just make sure you have your story in order.

On a somewhat related note my partner is from the USA and got turned back when coming to visit me here because they didn't believe she would only stay the 3 months. Again I know it's a totally different scenario from yours, it's not even travel in the same direction but the general point is same as the one I gave above - immigration don't feck about.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Be careful with the 3 months thing as well. I haven't read the whole thread and not sure what your work situation is but I spoke to a lad on a flight home from the US a few years ago who had spent a few days being held by immigration despite having a return ticket for a week after his outbound flight because he wasn't working and they thought he'd overstay. Flight I was on with him was the first flight home they could get him on. Obviously that's not going to happen with to you with pre-clearence from Dublin (this lad flew out from Belfast so didn't have that luxury) but the point is immigration officers can be tough as feck if they have any reason to believe you'll overstay. I'm not saying don't try it, just make sure you have your story in order.

On a somewhat related note my partner is from the USA and got turned back when coming to visit me here because they didn't believe she would only stay the 3 months. Again I know it's a totally different scenario from yours, it's not even travel in the same direction but the general point is same as the one I gave above - immigration don't feck about.

When you try to enter under the VWP you actually sign away any rights of appeal against being denied entry. It is 100% down to the CBP officer who you see at the desk. No appeal. They don't have to have any reason, never mind a reasonable or genuine reason. That's not to say that I'd expect many to be stopped unreasonably.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

So what have you done towards this goal in the 6 or so months since you first posted to this thread?

You were never gonna get an answer to this one.

Feenix wrote: »
    You were never gonna get an answer to this one.

With due respect, you're 100% correct. They weren't going to get a specific answer to that.

Aside from not wishing to spread my personal business or what I currently do for a living online, all I can do at the moment is gain as much knowledge as I can on the matter and have been doing so since March. Unfortunately for myself and people in the same boat, moving abroad, especially to America, right now, is a non runner

I do have a room in an apartment I can live in though. That's something I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

Unfortunately for myself and people in the same boat, moving abroad, especially to America, right now, is a non runner

So not quite true.. I moved to the US on Aug 23rd complete with family, all of us are Irish, don't hold green cards and we travel directly from Dublin to Newark and onwards depsite in Ireland for the previous 14 days.. What i'm saying is nothing is impossible and you can work around most things.

But to back up what others have said it's the decision of the CPB officer if you are allowed enter the US and despite getting there on the 23rd to say we'd a pig of a time at Dublin Preclearence is an understatement. So staying for 90 days and looking to return again will prompt questions about how you're funding your travels at the very least. I've traveled to the US many times with work and getting through CPB without getting a grilling is rare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Have had a couple of rough experiences with immigration in dublin past few years, since current WH incumbent basically. I said to one guy who grilled me for a good 20 minutes that surely if i was intending to overstay the visa, I'd buy a weekend or week return and not a 3 month one which would simply draw suspicion on me. I was a bit narked at that point and it did not go down well at all! Was actually surprised he finally relented and let me through and only had seconds to spare to get the flight. Not a pleasant experience at all.

Advertisement