Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App that will open and position programs

Options
  • 30-07-2013 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭

I open the same four excel sheets, as well a couple of other programs every day. Is there a program that will remember all of their positions and recreate on start-up?

I'm running w7.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Did you try the startup folder.

If you always open the same programs after starting your computer, such as a web browser or e‑mail program, you might find it convenient to have them start automatically when you start Windows. Programs or shortcuts placed in the Startup folder will run whenever Windows starts.

1.Click the Start button , click All Programs, right-click the Startup folder, and then click Open.
    2.Open the location that contains the item to which you want to create a shortcut.

3.Right-click the item, and then click Create Shortcut. The new shortcut appears in the same location as the original item.

4.Drag the shortcut into the Startup folder.

The next time you start Windows, the program will run automatically.

Note
    •You can also make an individual file, such as a word-processing document, open automatically by dragging a shortcut of the file into the Startup folder.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows-vista/run-a-program-automatically-when-windows-starts

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I can use that for certain programs, but I need to open the excel files in different windows which doesn't happen using the start folder. Mainly I'm looking for the ability to auto place programs/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I can use that for certain programs, but I need to open the excel files in different windows which doesn't happen using the start folder. Mainly I'm looking for the ability to auto place programs/

Have a look at THIS

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Cant find anything but this might help with excel files in conjunction with the startup folder.

Here's how to open an Excel file automatically on boot up
    For those of us who use an Excel file frequently this procedure is a big help: First, put the Excel file or a shortcut to the file in your XLStart folder. (My XLStart folder is in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 10) If you put the file in XLStart, future saves will be to the file located in XLStart. If you want to keep the file where it is now and have future saves go to its location, place a shortcut to the file in XLStart. Once this is done the file will open automatically when Excel is started instead of a blank Book1 worksheet. Now put a shortcut to the Excel Application in the Start folder. (Mine is C:\Documents and Settings\walter\Start Menu\Programs\Startup) After this procedure is set up Excel will open automatically when you boot up your PC or laptop and the file in the XLStart folder will be displayed for you to work on immediately. Two or 3 Excel files can be added to the XLStart folder and each one will open when Excel is started. (I haven't tested the limit.) Good luck.
    http://www.excelforum.com/tips-and-tutorials/610813-heres-how-to-open-an-excel-file-automatically-on-boot-up.html
    Another link.
    http://www.microsofttraining.net/article-1414-how-make-excel-open-particular-file-when-it-launches.html

Probably not what your looking for but could be some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭whizbang

just leave them open when you hibernate the pc. i.e. dont shutdown ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

OP, give AutoHotkey a spin.

Advertisement