Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interest in starting a running club/group in Callan area

Options
  • 30-07-2013 4:43pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well lads,
    Just thought I'd throw this out there,

I see plenty of people running around the area and whilst there is Harriers in Kilkenny not everyone wants to travel into Kilkenny to run with a group of people.

So, anyone interested in starting a running group/club in Callan area?

Its great motivation to have other people to support you regardless of your level, if its trying to run your first 1km or your first marathon.

There is a running club of sorts in Callan which is operated privately but they charge money to take part in the runs, this group wouldn't be in anyway about money.

Anyway I guess I should explain who I am,
    Well I live around the area and I started running back in February 2010 when I took on the coach to 5k training plan. At the time it nearly killed me to run my first 1km non-stop so I know what its like to start running from scratch!

Since then I've gone on to run half marathons, marathons and ultra marathons. So if I can do it anyone can :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

I'm not from your area but would like to do the same in Graignamanagh, let me know how you get on. Though looking at the replies id say its not going too well !

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

Stoneyford AC grew out of a direct result of the stoneyford 10k challenge.. we started a couch to 10k programme in conjunction with the race.. 2 years later they have a AC club with approx 50 adult members and a good underage section. as a direct result of a community working together to raise funds. so it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 joker jonboy

Cabaal wrote: »
    Well lads,
    Just thought I'd throw this out there,

I see plenty of people running around the area and whilst there is Harriers in Kilkenny not everyone wants to travel into Kilkenny to run with a group of people.

So, anyone interested in starting a running group/club in Callan area?

Its great motivation to have other people to support you regardless of your level, if its trying to run your first 1km or your first marathon.

There is a running club of sorts in Callan which is operated privately but they charge money to take part in the runs, this group wouldn't be in anyway about money.

Anyway I guess I should explain who I am,
    Well I live around the area and I started running back in February 2010 when I took on the coach to 5k training plan. At the time it nearly killed me to run my first 1km non-stop so I know what its like to start running from scratch!

Since then I've gone on to run half marathons, marathons and ultra marathons. So if I can do it anyone can :)

did you ever get this up and running?? id be intersted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

The by-pass is awash with walkers, perhaps trying a 5k walk/run for starters.
    What with the two senior schools, it might just be a great idea. Good Luck

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

did you ever get this up and running?? id be intersted

Nope, never got any interest...I'm afraid
    Infact you'd be the first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Is this not a weakness with Boards, seeing Callan is a border town with Tipperary, those living the other side probably do not look at Kilkenny, I do not look at Tipperary, never have done.
    If it was Kilkenny and borders it might just make a difference to quite a lot of things, those places near to Callan are too far from Thurles or Clonmel, coming to Kilkenny could be a natural move.
    Foxy

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Is this not a weakness with Boards, seeing Callan is a border town with Tipperary, those living the other side probably do not look at Kilkenny, I do not look at Tipperary, never have done.
    If it was Kilkenny and borders it might just make a difference to quite a lot of things, those places near to Callan are too far from Thurles or Clonmel, coming to Kilkenny could be a natural move.
    Foxy

Thats certainly not the reason,
    Plenty of clubs exist in other places that are very near two large centers of population,

Take Gowran for example, it has a running club, does a 10mile race each year and yet its between Carlow & Kilkenny.

I think its more the fact that nobody ever started a club in Callan,

Advertisement