Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Premier League any other business thread

• 30-07-2013 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

If the lower levels can have one why not the top flight? Not every story fits an existing club super thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Soooo....any other business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Could have started with some news...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

JPA wrote: »
    Could have started with some news...

yes what is the news?

BT are trying with no luck yet to get access to the changing rooms for match coverage, god I would love that

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Because if there's on thing the EPL doesn't have, it's enough threads ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

yes what is the news?

BT are trying with no luck yet to get access to the changing rooms for match coverage, god I would love that

I remember watching a documentary and there was footage of Graham Taylor during his time as England manager on the touchline and you could hear everything he said. It was hilarious, if BT found a way of getting a mic on every Premier League manager then I'd buy their product in a heartbeat.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I wonder what KevIRL thinks of this thread..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why should he think anything?

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I wonder what KevIRL thinks of this thread..

An even lower low!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What would be a story that doesn't fit that clubs superthread?

RasTa wrote: »
    What would be a story that doesn't fit that clubs superthread?

Hmm,

Stories about TV rights etc. like the one mentioned above.
    Stories about Premier league officials
    Stories about the culture of the premier league, rise of branding stadiums
    Stories about financial fair play and its effect on the league
    Stories about daft ideas like the 39th game in a revenue making location.
    Stories about the fitness regimes of premier league players

basicaly stories which may be originate within a club but have a wider appeal, or stories which affect multiple pl clubs.

I'm not saying its a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Would like to see a playoff for the 4th place CL spot actually after thinking of things to put in this thread.

Liam O wrote: »
    Would like to see a playoff for the 4th place CL spot actually after thinking of things to put in this thread.

That would actually be amazing but so cruel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hmm,

Stories about TV rights etc. like the one mentioned above.
    Stories about Premier league officials
    Stories about the culture of the premier league, rise of branding stadiums
    Stories about financial fair play and its effect on the league
    Stories about daft ideas like the 39th game in a revenue making location.
    Stories about the fitness regimes of premier league players

basicaly stories which may be originate within a club but have a wider appeal, or stories which affect multiple pl clubs.

I'm not saying its a good idea.

thumbs_down_gladiator.gif

Stories about Stoke and Hull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Who the hell wants to read about Stoke and Hull?

When Sparky gets sacked and Bruce get sacked on the same day (possibly after the two meet and draw 0-0 while 8 points adrift!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

mike65 wrote: »
    When Sparky gets sacked and Bruce get sacked on the same day (possibly after the two meet and draw 0-0 while 8 points adrift!)

That would be magic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Play-off for CL is a daft idea, how about a play-off for the title while we're at it, and sure throw in play-offs for relegation and Europa League too. Completely negates the point of a league.

I tend to agree, but I know why it exists - the help create more diversity in the Group Stages. The problem for UEFA is that it rarely actually works out that way as the Arsenals and Schalke 04 of this world (this season) will beat the likes of Molde or Legia Warszawa 9 times in 10 over two legs.

BBC1 London 11:05pm-11:45pm tonight (check local press for regional variations)

Swansea City: The Fall and Rise

Documentary exploring the football club's rise, which culminated in last season's League Cup triumph - a decade after the team almost dropped out of the Football League, but managed to avoid relegation with a victory on the final day of the 2002/03 season. Since then, the club have gone from strength to strength, moving to the Liberty Stadium in 2005 and rising up the divisions into the Premier League, and next season will compete in the Europa League
    Category Football - Club
    Producer Craig Withycombe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

THFC wrote: »
    Play-off for CL is a daft idea, how about a play-off for the title while we're at it, and sure throw in play-offs for relegation and Europa League too. Completely negates the point of a league.

Sign me up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

What did ye all make of the preview show last night on Sky if anyone watched it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

RasTa wrote: »
    thumbs_down_gladiator.gif

In roman times if the emperor put his thumb down he thought it was a good idea. The Romans did it opposite to us.

Free LOI Fact of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I remember watching a documentary and there was footage of Graham Taylor during his time as England manager on the touchline and you could hear everything he said. It was hilarious, if BT found a way of getting a mic on every Premier League manager then I'd buy their product in a heartbeat.

He may not be manager, but just a mic on Joe Kinnear this season would be enough for me

PL veteran Louis Saha retires at 35.

Was just reading about Paolo Di Canio and his teams language problems
    After the arrival of 14 signings this summer, 13 of them foreign, fluency in English has become a precious commodity at the Stadium of Light.

"It's driving me crazy," said Di Canio, whose side's haul of one point from three Premier League games is largely attributable to defensive howlers prompted by poor communication, undermining some pleasing overall play.

"Every single training session I spend five minutes on this [vocabulary]," he acknowledged. "Every session you can see that everything is going OK, then when we practise something, there's a misunderstanding. A British player says: 'You squeeze up,' and the French player or the Italian can't understand. I stop the session. I tell them to learn five key words that are for the back four – squeeze up, cover, drop, hold. If they say a key word in a foreign language I stop.

At Liverpool things are not too bad as Rodgers speaks Spanish (and Italian) to a pretty fluent level. This summers arrivals speak English as a second language or Spanish. Phillippe Coutinho (Brazilian Portuguese) didn't speak English when he arrived but seems to have a few words now plus he has Lucas who can act as a translator.

One wonders how much gets lost when tactics are discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

di canios english isnt great either, compounding matters

Its Southampton v West Ham bet you can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

retalivity wrote: »
    di canios english isnt great either, compounding matters

Di Canio has perfect English from what I hear, never stuck for a word. It's just his awesome heavy accent that makes it sound difficult.

• Advertisement

A. Boruc José Fonte D. Lovren N. Clyne L. Shaw A. Lallana M. Schneiderlin V.Wanyama J. Rodriguez P. Osvaldo R. Lambert

J. Jääskeläinen G. Demel J. O'Brien J. Collins W. Reid K. Nolan M. Noble M. Jarvis M. Diamé R. Morrison M. Maïga

Very light up top for West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Thank **** its not on BT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They really need to sort out this TV team quotas thing. Matches like Southampton-West Ham shouldn't be on TV as a non 3pm game. It is 3 games into the season and both teams are pretty much playing for mid table mediocrity. I am only watching because my Fantasy Football h2h game is dependent on it.

Will somebody win? Probably not
    Does anyone care? No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

They really need to sort out this TV team quotas thing. Matches like Southampton-West Ham shouldn't be on TV as a non 3pm game. It is 3 games into the season and both teams are pretty much playing for mid table mediocrity. I am only watching because my Fantasy Football h2h game is dependent on it.

Does anyone care? No

I'd say WHU and Soton fans do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Does anyone care? No

Fans of the teams probably care. And tbh, if it was to be the likes of Utd-Chelsea and Utd-Liverpool week in, week out, Sky would run out of customers quickly due to off **** nature of those matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Does anyone care? No

Yall end up with a la liga problem if sky/bt were to only show games for the top 6.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Fans of the teams probably care. And tbh, if it was to be the likes of Utd-Chelsea and Utd-Liverpool week in, week out, Sky would run out of customers quickly due to off **** nature of those matches.

At least those rubbish games actually mean something. Matches like this mean nothing in the grand scale of things. Nobody cares apart from Southampton Fans, Hammers fans and players of Fantasy Football. And to have the game as a stand alone sunday fixture as "Super" Sunday is pretty shabby.

At least those rubbish games actually mean something. Matches like this mean nothing in the grand scale of things. Nobody cares apart from Southampton Fans, Hammers fans and players of Fantasy Football. And to have the game as a stand alone sunday fixture as "Super" Sunday is pretty shabby.

Ah sure make the league of only 6 teams then so all matches will mean something.

Mushy wrote: »
    Ah sure make the league of only 6 teams then so all matches will mean something.

It should be the big 6 teams (Man U, Man C, Chel, Arse, Liv, Spurs) playing against the useless clubs or each other on TV. And then throw in special interest games like derbies and relegation 6 pointers in to fill up their quotas.

It should be the big 6 teams (Man U, Man C, Chel, Arse, Liv, Spurs) playing against the useless clubs or each other on TV. And then throw in special interest games like derbies and relegation 6 pointers in to fill up their quotas.

That's what it mainly is, but relegation 6 pointers don't happen at this stage of the season. Can ya imagine as the title race heats up they can't be shown on TV just to hit the quota for teams in relegation battles. Like what you suggested is what they normally do, but there were no major matches this weekend so perfect time to chop down the quota.

Some good Southampton play in this, WH are very hatchet at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

Southampton v West Ham. I can't believe I actually watched this. Utter sh*te and further proof of how weak the Premiership actually is.

• Advertisement

Ardent wrote: »
    Southampton v West Ham. I can't believe I actually watched this. Utter sh*te and further proof of how weak the Premiership actually is.

I'll see your Soton v West Ham and raise you a Rayo Vallecano v Almeria for example. Okay that would probably feature a few goals through comedy defending. It was always going to be tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

I guess I was spoiled having watched the Villareal/Madrid thriller last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Hughton's finally found his best midfield imo.

Is anyone a bit boggled that Chris Hughton is on thin ice already? What do owners of clubs like Norwich expect? Europe? The top half? Just surviving is a triumph these days.

Norwich 1 up at HT.

Why on earth is a game like Stoke-Norwich allowed on live tv???

Begovich has just scored against Soton! (wind assisted)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

mike65 wrote: »
    Begovich has just scored against Soton! (wind assisted)

Just seen it, mental :pac:

whoever has him in the FF is sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Just seen it, mental :pac:

whoever has him in the FF is sorted.

tell us more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Beg on my bench, boruc in goal :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement