Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do any of you tune this in?...

Options
  • 30-07-2013 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I have one of these on the roof of my MH...

D2216.jpg

I know that price is no guarantee of quality, but I've seen this dish priced in the region of €1300 so was expecting top quality performance.

It's manually tuned, no motor on it. When I've been in France over the last 2 summers, I've only been able to get a signal on the Hotbird satellite (Polish & German). I only got Aastra 28 for the English channels when I was up the very north of Normandy last year, couldn't get it at all this year.

I'm using one of those decibel readers on the line where the noise picks up frequency as the signal gets better, and the sat box I'm using gives an indication of signal strength for each satellite, so I do have a good idea of how to narrow down the direction I'm pointing/tilting the satellite at.

Its frustrating, as I see other Irish/Brits way down the south-east of France tuning theirs in within 5 minutes or so manually with bog standard dishes you can get in Lidl. The dish is on the small-side compared to others, think its about 14" square. I know the smaller the dish, the worse the signal received - why is this dish so expensive then? Is there any way I can improve the performance in an effort to pick up Aastra 28 throughout France??

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

Short answer is no, there is nothing you can do to improve the performance of this dish for Astra 2. Astra 2 (28) is optimized for the UK and Ireland, so the further south that you go in France the larger the dish size that you will need, Hotbird on the other hand is aimed at Europe so you will have no problem with a small dish.

Finding the satellite signal is all a matter of practice (direction and elevation angle)
    Holidayed in France for many years but had small dish on tripod and often found problems with signal breakup the further south I was.

Why the equipment is so expensive....you pay for the technology, not much help I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

thanks btb - I was more so wondering why this dish is supposedly worth over a grand, when other dish's starting from €40 probably do just as good a job.

wonder can I mount a larger standard circular dish on the bracket I have

Advertisement