Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for people who didn't do the LC

• 30-07-2013 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I am 16 years old. I am supposed to be going into 6th year this year. But I only went in a handful of times over 5th year because of medical issues that stopped me from going in. Sadly, things are not better and they won't be better any time soon. I was given the option of repeating or going into 6th year. But I don't see any other options.

The way I see it, I would repeat the year. But this time next year I would be in the same position again. What is the point of doing that?

I didn't complete my cooking assignments because I wasn't in. I was not able to stay in school. I was not able to go into school. I just wasn't.

So I was wondering if there were other options for when I do get sorted. It's killing me to not complete it. But I would fail more than one subject. My JC I got 1 A, 1 B, 3 C's and a D (English HL). I missed less time, but still a great deal of time, and I had to drop science. But I could count on one hand the number of days I was in 5th year.

Are there other options for people who didn't do the LC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

Call up a few Plc courses see what they require:) in some cases you can get in on interview alone although its quite late to apply now you could do a fetac this year then go on to a plc course next year or would you consider youthreach programme for the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 TrishaHarry

Dublinfan wrote: »
    Call up a few Plc courses see what they require:) in some cases you can get in on interview alone although its quite late to apply now you could do a fetac this year then go on to a plc course next year or would you consider youthreach programme for the year?

I had looked at Youthreach. But attendance would be a major issue... I would just finish school if I could attend. It's not going to happen, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

I had looked at Youthreach. But attendance would be a major issue... I would just finish school if I could attend. It's not going to happen, though.

Unfortunately Attendance is A big Thing For Both Fas/fectac courses you wont get paid or lose your place if you miss time

If your serious about though and put your mind to going everyday find a plc course or something your interested ask them what you need to get in without lc and work up from there

Dublinfan wrote: »
    Unfortunately Attendance is A big Thing For Both Fas/fectac courses you wont get paid or lose your place if you miss time

If your serious about though and put your mind to going everyday find a plc course or something your interested ask them what you need to get in without lc and work up from there

It wouldn't be this year. But thank you for the advice! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

No matter what options you look at, attendance is going to be important.

It may be down to taking this year easy, and getting your health back on solid ground ... in which case repeating 5th or just taking a year out may be the only viable options, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

You are only 16 so I would really recommend repeating fifth year. I have had a number of students repeat this year due to medical reasons so it is possible. Go to your principal with your parents and discuss your options. Perhaps also seek advice with your school counsellor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I would look into Youthreach, I attended one and was very pleased with and got a lot from experience, they are more understanding when it comes to circumstances that prevent you from attending, I missed one of my exams through no fault of my own and the rescheduled it for me. They will help you work around your medical issue. Set a meeting with the co-ordinatior of your local centre and speak to them, explain your situation, they should be willing to accommodate you. A student who was there when I was had a serious personal issue which meant them missing a hell of a lot of time, they were accommodated by the staff who helped in any way they could and graduated just like the rest of us.

Also don't believe what everyone tells you with regards to them being full of scumbags, I was a very quiet person, wouldn't say boo to anyone, I did receive some light bullying at the start from some of the bitchy girls but one of the other students put a stop to that by having a quiet word. I was later told by the co-ordinator that they thought I wouldn't last a week in there, by the time I left I was student council president and had made some life long friends. It can be a very rewarding experience.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I would look into Youthreach, I attended one and was very pleased with and got a lot from experience, they are more understanding when it comes to circumstances that prevent you from attending, I missed one of my exams through no fault of my own and the rescheduled it for me. They will help you work around your medical issue. Set a meeting with the co-ordinatior of your local centre and speak to them, explain your situation, they should be willing to accommodate you. A student who was there when I was had a serious personal issue which meant them missing a hell of a lot of time, they were accommodated by the staff who helped in any way they could and graduated just like the rest of us.

Also don't believe what everyone tells you with regards to them being full of scumbags, I was a very quiet person, wouldn't say boo to anyone, I did receive some light bullying at the start from some of the bitchy girls but one of the other students put a stop to that by having a quiet word. I was later told by the co-ordinator that they thought I wouldn't last a week in there, by the time I left I was student council president and had made some life long friends. It can be a very rewarding experience.

Thank you. I might just do that. :) I am glad you enjoyed it!

Pang wrote: »
    You are only 16 so I would really recommend repeating fifth year. I have had a number of students repeat this year due to medical reasons so it is possible. Go to your principal with your parents and discuss your options. Perhaps also seek advice with your school counsellor.

Thank you for the advice (sorry I didn't see this). But I would end up in the same position if I repeated. I won't be better before September and it would not be very likely that I would be in a better position this time next year.

No matter what options you look at, attendance is going to be important.

It may be down to taking this year easy, and getting your health back on solid ground ... in which case repeating 5th or just taking a year out may be the only viable options, really.

Yeah, there aren't a lot of options really...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

You know yourself that you don't really have a lot of options when you can't attend classes of any kind on a day to day basis.

At 16 you could take a year out and then repeat 5th year. You are still very young.

decisions wrote: »
    You know yourself that you don't really have a lot of options when you can't attend classes of any kind on a day to day basis.

At 16 you could take a year out and then repeat 5th year. You are still very young.

It is an option... Not one I am very keen on if I am being honest. I would rather look at alternatives for afterwards. Thank you, though. :D

I also wanted to add, I have the support of my mother. No matter what I do. But I just wanted to see what options would be there for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I also wanted to add, I have the support of my mother. No matter what I do. But I just wanted to see what options would be there for me.

That's good, it's important that you have your mam backing you, especially with your health problems. The truth is that in the grand scheme of things the leaving cert really isn't that important, now don't get me wrong everyone should do it where possible, I'm not suggesting that everyone drop out and throw caution to the wind but when you have health issues then you need to take care of and manage that first and foremost, it is far more important.

The leaving cert is just a stepping stone, to college, a job whatever. But there are other routes that you can take if that's was necessary that will get you tp where you want to go. Perhaps take a year out and see of you can mange your condition or like I said look into Youthreach which will be far more understanding when it comes to absenteeism than a mainstream school. Regardless of what you choose to do you come across in your posts as intelligent young woman who I am sure will do well.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    That's good, it's important that you have your mam backing you, especially with your health problems. The truth is that in the grand scheme of things the leaving cert really isn't that important, now don't get me wrong everyone should do it where possible, I'm not suggesting that everyone drop out and throw caution to the wind but when you have health issues then you need to take care of and manage that first and foremost, it is far more important.

The leaving cert is just a stepping stone, to college, a job whatever. But there are other routes that you can take if that's was necessary that will get you tp where you want to go. Perhaps take a year out and see of you can mange your condition or like I said look into Youthreach which will be far more understanding when it comes to absenteeism than a mainstream school. Regardless of what you choose to do you come across in your posts as intelligent young woman who I am sure will do well.

Thank you. You gave me a great option there.

Advertisement