Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Medion Desktop - "Configuring Windows Features"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

vicwatson wrote: »
    Bought this last Thursday...

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-specialbuys-25th-july/products-detail-page/ps/p/multimedia-desktop-pc/

On Friday I was booting it up and got a message "Configuring Windows Features" and a progress icon, it took about 15 minutes for it to load to login page.

It did the same today, can you tell me what this is all about? What is it configuring exactly?

And is this going to do this every few days where I have to wait 15/20 minutes to be able to login?

Any help appreciated

It sounds like your windows is downloading upgrades and installing them everytime you turn on your computer. It should happen less after a while once it has caught up with the upgrades to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ezra_pound wrote: »
    It sounds like your windows is downloading upgrades and installing them everytime you turn on your computer. It should happen less after a while once it has caught up with the upgrades to date.

Even if its a brand new windows 8 machine used just 3 times?

Maybe its the norm??!

What actually happens with it when it is "configuring windows"

Would not logging out correctly contribute to the "configuring windows" boot up???

Maybe its the norm??!

Would not logging out correctly contribute to the "configuring windows" boot up???

There would have been lots of updates to win 8 since the version that was put on your computer. This is totally normal.

I'm not sure what it's actually doing when it's configuring but probably enduring registry details are correct for updates and configuring drivers etc. Not sure really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭dmc17

Maybe its the norm??!

I'd imagine they're releasing updates and fixes for Windows 8 fairly regularly as it's new and once you're up to date it should be fine.
    I re-installed Windows 7 a few weeks back and spent a few days downloading and installing updates. It seems to have settled down a bit now.

Also, you can surely change the Windows update settings to run at preferred intervals such as once a week at a specific time. Or you should be able to stop it downloading/installing updates without first notifying you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

This is happening when the pc is switched on, BEFORE it gets to the LOGIN page.

Yea. That sounds right.

It downloads them when you have the PC on and then to install/configure them you usually have to restart. So, when you turn it off and then turn it on again later it is the same as restarting and it will configure them then.

You can change the settings so it will only do the updates when you want it to rather than have it doing them every time you restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Many have/are having this problem:

Open Control panel / Languages and look to see if you have several Multilanguage packs installed. If yes, remove all MUIs you don't need.

Advertisement