Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Gas Bottle - German Hose in Motorhome

Options
  • 30-07-2013 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi there,

am wondering if someone can offer some advice. I have a German motorhome with usual German gas fittings. I have a German gas bottle that I use and all is good.

In case of emergency should the German bottle run out while I was touring around Ireland what connections would it be handy to have in the toolbox to enable me to connect an Irish gas bottle.

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭runner2011

howdy . not sure if you can as the regulator is different i believe (not sure) but ill let somebody who is more knowledgeable give you an answer on that . I have the same set up and have two German bottles so that i never run out. you can get one for about €20-€30 .. i got one and have them filled from Gas Distributors in Rathecoole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

You can get a flip top snapon regulator in any good hardware or coop shop,
    together with a few hose clips would sort you out, use a bit of soapy water to check for leaks after you change over.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

Cheers aujopimur but I was hoping not to have to replace the hosing thats already there. Am wondering if there is a workaround where there would be a connector for the top of the Irish bottle that would take the threaded connector thats on the end of the German hose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

T650 wrote: »
    Cheers aujopimur but I was hoping not to have to replace the hosing thats already there. Am wondering if there is a workaround where there would be a connector for the top of the Irish bottle that would take the threaded connector thats on the end of the German hose.
    You don't have to replace any hosing!
    Take the german regulator off,and replace with an irish regulator.
    or buy an adaptor and use that.
    Is the gas butane or propane?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

Hi CJ,

it's butane. I have a Flogas bottle for the BBQ at home that takes the push down kind of connector. I was wondering how I would connect that kind of bottle to the motorhome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hi CJ,

it's butane. I have a Flogas bottle for the BBQ at home that takes the push down kind of connector. I was wondering how I would connect that kind of bottle to the motorhome.
    Change the regulator on the end of the hose.
    Easy job and will be much better for Ireland.
    If you are going continental just swap it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

If your van is like my Dethleffs, it has a bulkhead mounted 30mB regulator.
    When I bought it Pat Horan Motors fitted a Gaslow adaptor [NOT regulator] that fits a regular Irish bottle [called Jumbo I think], and then unscrew a fitting on the adaptor and you've got the fitting ready for a German bottle.
    Best of both worlds and also ready for Spain.

In case of emergency should the German bottle run out while I was touring around Ireland what connections would it be handy to have in the toolbox to enable me to connect an Irish gas bottle.

In case of emergency have a second bottle.
    2 half size your current if you're tight on space.

Several places offer bottle refilling services if you find a few and it'll save you carrying a drawer of regulators.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78929774

Bray Harbour Stores get's my top of that list...mmm propane.
    Mobile number for Tommy is out of date. Landline is his wife who'll tell you he's on a job and come back between 11hr00 and 13hr00 tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

With the Gaslow jumbo adaptor you just tighten the German fitting , nip it up with a pair of pliers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement