Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alkaline Trio Aug 26th @ The Academy Dublin

Options
  • 30-07-2013 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Anyone know who is supporting them for this gig? Bayside were their support for the US tour but I don't see anything to hint that they will be joining them for the UK tour..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Always kept pretty quiet who the support is, as far as I can remember I never really knew who was supporting them in Ireland until I went to the gig.
    Off With Their Heads has been touring with them a lot recently, and they are also doing Reading/Leeds so thats a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

GastroBoy wrote: »
    Always kept pretty quiet who the support is, as far as I can remember I never really knew who was supporting them in Ireland until I went to the gig.
    Off With Their Heads has been touring with them a lot recently, and they are also doing Reading/Leeds so thats a possibility.

OWTH are playing two shows in England that day. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Blood Or Whiskey to support Alkaline Trio!!!

http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=4231946&ar=alkalinetrio&cat=all

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

I have to say something about this gig. Matt skiba was completely wrecked, I don't think he knew where he was half the time. I know a lot of his songs are about drink and drugs but its becoming so much more frequent on stage. Have a look at reports from his first 'matt skiba and the sekrets' gig. Its sad to see

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I went with a mate who had a spare ticket, knew nothing of the band.

I only kind of knew one song, but the rest mainly sounded like a wall of music and I assumed the singer's voice was just his style - I didn't realise he was mangled drunk 'til I was told after the gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Pure Loonamus

I actually thought he looked ok last night!! He seemed pretty sober for most of the night, with the exception of when he came out for Radio. He put in a fairly solid performance. Seen them in Chicago this year and he was much more out of it than he was last night.. The reports of the sekrets gig did sound pretty bad though alright..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Was at the gig meself ya Matt was outta his tree and just went through the motions, Dan at least performed like his heart was in it, only played just over an hour though kicked off at 9 over by 10:10 including leavin stage for a few before finishing with Radio. 87 was on setlist but never played, wonder how they get on in Belfast they were due to perform at some record store in the city too prior to gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Dunno how people couldn't tell he was out of it last night. Was pretty obvious from the moment they came on stage, and confirmed the second he started slurring after Private Eye (actually loved how this was drowned out by Dan and Derek playing their instruments every time he went to mumble as the night wore on while he stood there with a bemused look on his face). It wasn't quite on the same level as the sekrets gig...or his revival tour performance with Chuck Ragan, solely because his bandmates saved it from descending to that level. But it did have some highlights including, Skiba throwing his guitar over his shoulder mid song, mumbling about torture, and cannibalism (I think), almost throwing up on himself, and literally falling out onto the stage for the encore.

On a personal level, I have been a big fan of the band for almost 15 years, and had seen them a good few times prior to last night so knew Skiba had previous form for this type of performance but if last night had been my first time to see them I would have been really pissed off.....that's not to say it wasn't disappointing, especially given that they had not played here in 5 years. If Skiba wants to be the rock star and do all the drinking and all the drugs, he should at least have the decency to do the 'job' part of it and provide a decent performance for the people who helped put him in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Was at the gig meself ya Matt was outta his tree and just went through the motions, Dan at least performed like his heart was in it, only played just over an hour though kicked off at 9 over by 10:10 including leavin stage for a few before finishing with Radio. 87 was on setlist but never played, wonder how they get on in Belfast they were due to perform at some record store in the city too prior to gig.

Seemed fairly short, but had a look at setlistfm, and they performed 19 songs. I guess 97 was supposed to be the other song of the encore but a decision was made when they went off stage to cut it down, although I don't think 1 song would have made that big a difference. One good thing of Skiba being so messed up was that it allowed Dan to sing a lot more as I doubt he would have sang as much if he wasn't.

Advertisement