Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC customers

• 30-07-2013 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys,

I'm looking to switch to UPC fibre broadband because eircom won't have fibre available in my area till December. . . I want the 50Mb speed one. .

I just want your opinion on their service, be honest, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Havoq wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm looking to switch to UPC fibre broadband because eircom won't have fibre available in my area till December. . . I want the 50Mb speed one. .

I just want your opinion on their service, be honest, thanks.

It's generally fine, it does depends a lot on the quality of cable in your area and the drop into your house but they usually "fix" that (the drop). Generally if you have 50Mb you get 50Mb

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I can confirm that speed has not been an issue for me. If you haven't already seen the various threads you might like to know that you cannot bridge the current modem/router that UPC issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Havoq

dub45 wrote: »
    I can confirm that speed has not been an issue for me. If you haven't already seen the various threads you might like to know that you cannot bridge the current modem/router that UPC issue.

What does the term bridge mean? Thanks for your replies so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

What does the term bridge mean? Thanks for your replies so far.

To be honest if you don't know what it means you probably don't need it...
    but basically bridging means using your own router and the UPC modem just passes all traffic to your router and does no NAT or routing of any sort. Your router looks after everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Havoq

bealtine wrote: »
    To be honest if you don't know what it means you probably don't need it...
    but basically bridging means using your own router and the UPC modem just passes all traffic to your router and does no NAT or routing of any sort. Your router looks after everything.

Ahh. . I'm a gamer so NAT is important to me. I'll need to be able to edit NAT in the router settings. NAT has to be open so I can play online hassle free. Is it possible to edit NAT type in the UPC router?

I've actually done bridging before not knowing that's what it's called.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Anthropology

Great question.

I have been with them since 25mbps was the standard speed.

They did recently increase prices by 5 euro. I was paying 67.50 p/m...not happy because they billed my this price but didn't move me up from 30mbps to 50mbps so called them and spoke at length (45 mins).

Ask to be put through to 'Customer Loyalty' team, they have the power to give discounts etc. Got 5 euro off extra a month for 12 months and got them to waive the 45 euro they wanted to send me a new TV (DVR) box. Now will be paying 56 euro p/m.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭yfaykya

My UPC cable modem does bridge to my router (a WNDR4500). Not sure why people are saying it can't. I have one with the 2 phone jacks (don't know model off hand).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yfaykya wrote: »
    My UPC cable modem does bridge to my router (a WNDR4500). Not sure why people are saying it can't. I have one with the 2 phone jacks (don't know model off hand).

The "current" modem is a Thomson 7200 and doesn't support bridging. The Cisco 3925 does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

yfaykya wrote: »

The current standard modem supplied by UPC (technicolor TC7200) does not support bridge mode, however it does allow you to use your own router in conjunction with it. This is not bridge mode. In bridge mode you completely disable the router functionality of the modem/router so that it functions as a modem only.

What is Bridge Mode?

Bridge mode is the configuration that disables the NAT feature on the modem and allows a router to function as a DHCP server without an IP Address conflict.

Modem has to be bridged before connecting to a router since the applications like VPN, P2P, remote management, etc. requires a public IP Address on the routers WAN port for a successful connection.

Further details regarding the latest standard modem/router supplied by UPC are here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056950728

I had this router but managed to change it to a Cisco EPC3925. I now have a 150Mb package and get the speeds promised by UPC.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The broadband is great but the modem is rubbish (poor wireless coverage, limited advanced options etc.). Same with the TV service. UPC is a great service let down by crappy hardware. I'd try and see what the Vodafone fibre modem is like (probably the same as eircom). If it's good or at least easy to use for bridging, then I'd hold out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

The broadband is great but the modem is rubbish (poor wireless coverage, limited advanced options etc.). Same with the TV service. UPC is a great service let down by crappy hardware. I'd try and see what the Vodafone fibre modem is like (probably the same as eircom). If it's good or at least easy to use for bridging, then I'd hold out.

The Vodafone router is locked down tighter then a really tight thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

In my experience, the vodafone router is rubbish. Had 2 of them DOA on client sites, and the config is limited to changing a handful of paramaters IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 icetronix

Ahh. . I'm a gamer so NAT is important to me. I'll need to be able to edit NAT in the router settings. NAT has to be open so I can play online hassle free. Is it possible to edit NAT type in the UPC router?

I've actually done bridging before not knowing that's what it's called.

You can turn the routers firewall off and you will have an open nat in cod, you also need to have IP flood detection turned off or game server lists will not populate. I have it turned off since day one. The down side to UPC for me as of late is they are throttling my connection to twitch.tv so watching a stream is impossible for me unless i use a VPN. Also their "tech support" is a joke, i got some guy last week who didnt even understand what i was talking to him about. Makes you wonder where they get these people from :/

Advertisement