Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nighlife Waterford

Options
  • 30-07-2013 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭

Flying into Waterford city tomorrow and staying there tomorrow night. Can anyone recommend good place to go out have a few drinks and chat up women?:D Never been out there

On my own and visit is for pleasure so no work the next day.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Flying into Waterford city tomorrow and staying there tomorrow night. Can anyone recommend good place to go out have a few drinks and chat up women?:D Never been out there

On my own and visit is for pleasure so no work the next day.

Cheers
    Stay away from our women!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Dignity is good for a bit of "crack"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

why not try out the maryland i hear the service there is quite good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Dignity is good for a bit of "crack"

Yeah I know that's a gay bar..looks a bit contrived though..a bit like the "Orish" bars abroad.

Is it any good though?

Seriously people....I am depending on your judgement!!

BTW...I am Irish...just returning for friends wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Yeah I know that's a gay bar..looks a bit contrived though..a bit like the "Orish" bars abroad.

Is it any good though?

Seriously people....I am depending on your judgement!!

BTW...I am Irish...just returning for friends wedding.

Dont know what Wednesdays are like (normally a students night during college term)

Personally I like the Tap Room on Ballybricken
    You also have Alfies Hales and the Exchange up there

The main pub areas you have Geoffs, across the road is the Kasbah

Then you have Shortts, Revolution and Sinnotts, The Woodman and The Front Lounge and the aforementioned Dignity - where you probably have a better chance than any of the others of chatting up a bird (genuine not a drag queen!!)

All of these are more or less in the same area

That's the gist of it really

As to how much in the way of single women will be out, I couldn't say but given it's a week night I'd say very few

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

I'm returning home myself for a couple of days at the end of August. Is the 'Mojo Lounge' still going?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Dont know what Wednesdays are like (normally a students night during college term)

Personally I like the Tap Room on Ballybricken
    You also have Alfies Hales and the Exchange up there

The main pub areas you have Geoffs, across the road is the Kasbah

Then you have Shortts, Revolution and Sinnotts, The Woodman and The Front Lounge and the aforementioned Dignity
    - where you probably have a better chance than any of the others of chatting up a bird (genuine not a drag queen!!)

All of these are more or less in the same area

That's the gist of it really

As to how much in the way of single women will be out, I couldn't say but given it's a week night I'd say very few

your main stops i reckon. Woodman tends to be a bit quiet at start of night.

Thanks for replies

Well I had my night out in Waterford and I must say that I am less than impressed.

Where do I start..might as well start at the airport.

Arrived at 8am on my flight. Cldnt see any info about a bus link so queued up patiently to speak with the young girl behind the desk...

Me: "Where is the bus link?"
    Girl: "There is none...you can get a taxi outside but if there is none there come back in and you can phone"
    Me: "So there is no taxi rank. I just got to hope there is a taxi outside. Right. Where is the ATM machine?"
    Girl: "There is none. The taxi will take you to one."

So here we have an airport with no direct bus/shuttle to the "city", no taxi rank and no ATM. Brilliant.

Next stage:

Got into a taxi. Friendly enough chap. Mid-50s grossly over weight. You get the picture. First ATM was broken outside a Tesco..so then drove around looking for another one. He asked if I was a "langer"...WTF!.....He thought I had a Cork accent. Asked about night life etc. Informed me that place will be quiet as students not around. I thought, I gave up my student days years ago so that should not be an issue.

This is a "city" afterall. I have lived in Cork, Dublin, UK and US and so a Wednesday night during the summer should be fun somewhere. Students or no students.

Eventually go to the quay side accom where I was staying and duly paid over €20.00 and was informed that my accom was very dodgy and to watch my belongings. Great. The time is still only 9am.

Lets cut to 4.30pm. Met up with two of my friends one of which needed to buy a cabin bag for holiday. Off we went to Dunnes where we saw a mid aged lady stuffing school trousers in her handbag and legging it.

10 mins later in Boots...same thing. This burly, red hair dyed (different) lady legging it out with make up stuffed in her handbag..set off the alarms. From never seeing a robbery once in 35 years Ihad now seen 2 in 10 mins.

Right then. Had dinner in Granvilles. Nice no complaints but a lot of coffin dodgers around.

It is now 8pm. I am away from wife and kids and want to make the most of it.

Walked toward John Street (I think) where there is a basically pubs everywhere. I looked into every pub and I would say that 90% were completely empty or had maybe a handful of patrons around a table chatting.

Went for 2 pints in some quasi sports bar across from Dignity. I went in because it had more then 5 people in there (but less than 10) and was the busiest. Had my 2 drinks and left. In desparation I went into Dignity as gay bars can be fun. There was 2 women playing pool. That was it. Left after 1 drink and walked back along the quays deparately looking for some half decent place. VAst majority were completely empty or 2-3 men inside. Then I heard music in a hotel toward the bridge. Looked in the window. All I saw was the usual middle aged man droning on with Irish ballads in front of even more coffin dodgers. Off back to my guest house I went.

I was in my bed by 11.30pm.

Waterford.....is that it? is that the best you have to offer?

I dont care if it was a Wednesday night. That is no excuse for a "city". It is no more than a provincial market town at best. Sorry but it was a fairly crap experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭therealme

"few drinks and chat up women?"

"I am away from wife and kids and want to make the most of it."

Nice! If your wife was away - would you like her going out alone to chat up men...and make the most of it????

Waterford.....is that it? is that the best you have to offer?

Unfortunately Wednesday wouldn't be an ideal night to go out, considering there's a lot of people unemployed who perhaps wouldn't have the money to go out, as well as the Monday - Friday 9 to 5'rs wouldn't be out on a Wednesday. But yes, Wednesday is "student night" September to May.

Unfortunately I don't think the airport could justify having a bus link every day considering you could probably count the amount of flights everyday on one hand.

That was actually an embarrassing account of Waterford (Embarrassing for those who encourage Waterford tourism), I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your visit. I'm flying home tomorrow for a few days to visit family, I'm quite looking forward to seeing how the town actually is, compared to how the likes of the Waterford Business/City Center Facebook page portrays it as.

• Advertisement

therealme wrote: »
    "few drinks and chat up women?"

"I am away from wife and kids and want to make the most of it."

Nice! If your wife was away - would you like her going out alone to chat up men...and make the most of it????

There is nothing wrong with going out and having a laugh. Chatting and flirting with women is not a full blown affair. Get off the high horse.:rolleyes:

Not on a high horse at all - there's a way I like to be treated & for men to treat women.

I have no interest in "flirting" with married men when I am out - or any man in a relationship.

Honestly, I think it is sad if a married man is going out for that reason - clearly you were.

b0ardsUser wrote: »
    Unfortunately Wednesday wouldn't be an ideal night to go out, considering there's a lot of people unemployed who perhaps wouldn't have the money to go out, as well as the Monday - Friday 9 to 5'rs wouldn't be out on a Wednesday. But yes, Wednesday is "student night" September to May.

Unfortunately I don't think the airport could justify having a bus link every day considering you could probably count the amount of flights everyday on one hand.

That was actually an embarrassing account of Waterford (Embarrassing for those who encourage Waterford tourism), I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your visit. I'm flying home tomorrow for a few days to visit family, I'm quite looking forward to seeing how the town actually is, compared to how the likes of the Waterford Business/City Center Facebook page portrays it as.

I was chatting to a guy from Waterford the next day and he mentioned that unempolyment was a major issue. He did that concede that the town is very much down in the dumps at the moment.

With direct flights to the UK it really should try to take advantage...ok not quite a Temple Bar scenario but anything is better than what I saw. Granted it may have just been a bad night but it doesnt sound like it.

Not on a high horse at all - there's a way I like to be treated & for men to treat women.

I have no interest in "flirting" with married men when I am out - or any man in a relationship.

Honestly, I think it is sad if a married man is going out for that reason - clearly you were.

Good for you...take it to another forum please.

Just giving my opinion...though that was one of the points of Boards!

:rolleyes:

Just giving my opinion...though that was one of the points of Boards!

:rolleyes:

Keeping your opinion on topic would be more helpful and not digressing into some moral crusade.

You have not given any opinion on "Nightlife in Waterford" so you really are not helping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

It is said that unemployment in Limerick and Waterford are amongst the highest in Ireland, but by the sounds of it, a Wednesday night in Limerick during the summer would be far better!

I was out in Waterford twice.

Once, a guy was on the ground getting his head kicked in...the gardai walked straight past it. People stood around and let it happen.

The other time I stayed fairly sober and honestly was taken aback at a lot of the clientele! Wouldn't be one of the classier towns - in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Keeping your opinion on topic would be more helpful and not digressing into some moral crusade.

You have not given any opinion on "Nightlife in Waterford" so you really are not helping.

Completely disagree as it seems most topics never stick to the heading...
    She has a point... this thread wasn't about nightlife in Waterford at all anyway, it was about somewhere to suit this "type" of visiter...
    Next time he's around I'd advise he try the Maryland :) ..

but in all seriousness, heading to bed at such an early stage? What did he expect?? The town doesn't REALLY get going until around 11 any night!

but in all seriousness, heading to bed at such an early stage? What did he expect?? The town doesn't REALLY get going until around 11 any night!

thats true. with the major unemployment and people generally watching the pennies/drinking at home etc, its very tough to run a pub outside friday - sunday here. people just dont have the money to be heading out for a few after work and that. its just where we are at the moment. . still though, if I met 2 of my mates in a one pub town, we would have a great night. Shame OP was over on a wednesday night, with students away, im sure it was quiet.

I would urge all again to support the city centre businesses, make the effort, leave the local

• Advertisement

Completely disagree as it seems most topics never stick to the heading...
    She has a point... this thread wasn't about nightlife in Waterford at all anyway, it was about somewhere to suit this "type" of visiter...

Jaysus some people have got complete wrong end of the stick. I was not over to embark on some cheeky one night stand which is what some people seem to think.

The original post was trying to find the best places to go in Waterford as I wanted to let off some steam and have a laugh....and was going perfectly fine until the Holy Mary's arrived.

Are you seriously suggesting that the place would have kicked off past 11 and I missed all the fun? I dont think so. Pull the other one.

This was not Barcelona.

As a matter of interest where should I have gone to witness Waterford in all it's glory on a Wednesday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Sad to say, I have lived in Waterford for the past two years and I have the same impression of the place regarding nightlife and crime.

I like the city, and it has a lot going for it, but it can't really be called just that - a city - because in reality it isn't.

The times I went out in Waterford I have been disappointed at either a) the lack of people , b) the abundance of the wrong people c)the lack of fun in general in the town.

Maybe it's just my opinion as not being from here I view it differently, but it is a pretty boring AND unsafe city at night compared to towns smaller/the same size.

The idea of a 'good night' by Waterford standards doesn't compare much to nights out in a lot of other places, not putting the place down as I said, wouldn't have stayed here if I hated it - but there definitely is room to point out the obvious flaws, and understandably Waterford people will defend it to the hilt, which is fair enough, but at the same time it is the truth and reality and saying things like ' all places have this/that' or 'it's only busy at 11' really doesn't take away from the reality of it. I agree that unemployment is a huge factor, it may have been a completely different place say five years ago, I don't know.

PS - I understand it doesn't make sense to have a full bus service to the airport, but in a 'city' and no link to the airport, I found it terrible.

PPS- 9/10 times I have gone out on the weekend, and it was still as quiet. People mentioning students - yes, they make the place a bit more lively, but they also tend to make life hell for anyone trying to have a good night out without being puked on/walking into a fight/just being a nuisance in general.

Max Powers wrote: »
    thats true. with the major unemployment and people generally watching the pennies/drinking at home etc, its very tough to run a pub outside friday - sunday here. people just dont have the money to be heading out for a few after work and that. its just where we are at the moment. . still though, if I met 2 of my mates in a one pub town, we would have a great night. Shame OP was over on a wednesday night, with students away, im sure it was quiet.

I would urge all again to support the city centre businesses, make the effort, leave the local

I think what suprised me the most was the complete lack of holiday makers/tourists.

I fully expected that a city would have a good vibe/buzz about the place. If you go out in Cork, Dublin and even crusty old Galway you will always finds tourists and holiday makers who bring a great buzz to the place and nightlife and a good night out ensues.

I guess that Waterford is just not in that league. Someone else mentioned
    Limerick having the same problem.

CuriousG wrote: »
    Sad to say, I have lived in Waterford for the past two years and I have the same impression of the place regarding nightlife and crime.

I like the city, and it has a lot going for it, but it can't really be called just that - a city - because in reality it isn't.

The times I went out in Waterford I have been disappointed at either a) the lack of people , b) the abundance of the wrong people c)the lack of fun in general in the town.

Maybe it's just my opinion as not being from here I view it differently, but it is a pretty boring AND unsafe city at night compared to towns smaller/the same size.

The idea of a 'good night' by Waterford standards doesn't compare much to nights out in a lot of other places, not putting the place down as I said, wouldn't have stayed here if I hated it - but there definitely is room to point out the obvious flaws, and understandably Waterford people will defend it to the hilt, which is fair enough, but at the same time it is the truth and reality and saying things like ' all places have this/that' or 'it's only busy at 11' really doesn't take away from the reality of it. I agree that unemployment is a huge factor, it may have been a completely different place say five years ago, I don't know.

PS - I understand it doesn't make sense to have a full bus service to the airport, but in a 'city' and no link to the airport, I found it terrible.

PPS- 9/10 times I have gone out on the weekend, and it was still as quiet.

two destinations out there at the moment, it would be impossible to run a profit even if half of everyone landing there wanted to get a bus to city centre. Its not economically viable so you get a taxi, its not a big deal really. dont think anyone can argue with the fact that is quiet sometimes but i always have a great time when im out. I have lived in other Irish cities and i was wondering, what would you be doing at night in say Cork or Galway that you find it boring here?

two destinations out there at the moment, it would be impossible to run a profit even if half of everyone landing there wanted to get a bus to city centre. Its not economically viable so you get a taxi, its not a big deal really. dont think anyone can argue with the fact that is quiet sometimes but i always have a great time when im out. I have lived in other Irish cities and i was wondering, what would you be doing at night in say Cork or Galway that you find it boring here?

Yeah as I said in my post, I do understand that. It's just annoying if you're a tourist, and it would turn people off coming here to a degree.

It's not about what you are doing, it is the atmosphere of the place and the people that make it great, not necessarily what you're at. I know there will be defensive comments on this thread because a lot of people that live in Waterford don't want to accept that it isn't as good as other places, and will fight to the death to defend it - good to have pride in your city, but that doesn't mean another persons opinion of the place is wrong. Obviously if you've lived here your whole life, you're going to have a different perception than someone that has came here for one reason or another, which I'm presuming is a lot of people in the city.

Careful now ;):D

Surely you dont need a full time bus link. There is only 4-5 flights a day at best so a mini bus parking up a few times a day is surely economical. I mean there must be a underused bus operator locally who could work something out. Better than being parked up in a garage. Knowing what Ireland is like, the local taxi drivers would sabatoge the idea anyway

As regards other cities, for a start live music will always attract a crowd. I can think of numerous venues in Cork, Dublin and Galway every night of the week that will have live music on. Hell I know of certain coastal towns that will have more life. Tourists love the diddly diddle stuff.

CuriousG wrote: »
    Yeah as I said in my post, I do understand that. It's just annoying if you're a tourist, and it would turn people off coming here to a degree.

It's not about what you are doing, it is the atmosphere of the place and the people that make it great, not necessarily what you're at. I know there will be defensive comments on this thread because a lot of people that live in Waterford don't want to accept that it isn't as good as other places, and will fight to the death to defend it - good to have pride in your city, but that doesn't mean another persons opinion of the place is wrong. Obviously if you've lived here your whole life, you're going to have a different perception than someone that has came here for one reason or another, which I'm presuming is a lot of people in the city.

fair enough but you said you find it boring, what would you be doing in galway or cork to be not so bored there? I have lived in Dublin and other places so i don have some frame for comparison.

fair enough but you said you find it boring, what would you be doing in galway or cork to be not so bored there? I have lived in Dublin and other places so i don have some frame for comparison.

As I said, not WHAT you are doing - I have gone out in Cork City, Kilkenny, and even Wexford (which is a small enough town in comparison with not much employment either) and the atmosphere has been a lot better! It isn't about what you can do, Waterford just has a crap atmosphere for the most part, and it is very quiet compared to other surrounding places. Other places have a good selection of venues while most Waterford bars are in and around the same atmosphere, not much jumping out if you're new here. Nothing more or less, just one persons opinion on the place, if you don't agree, fair enough, but I'm entitled to think that.

Will agree above also, the only bands Waterford really tends to have on a regular basis are a few local bands that, although talented, won't suit everyones taste. There isn't a huge amount of variety, and there are no good live music venues that will cater to more than just the average popular music bands that play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Are you seriously suggesting that the place would have kicked off past 11 and I missed all the fun? I dont think so. Pull the other one.

This was not Barcelona.

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying . You obviously didn't wanna give it a chance .. Does the foundry even open before That time ? :s

Advertisement