Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beach House

• 30-07-2013 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭

Have only gotten into this band now but they are the best thing i've heard in quite a while.
    Listening to Bloom there.
    Every song is beautiful IMHO.
    Victoria's voice is unique. Some people might describe the dream-pop sound as samey but that's the thing- each song is also so well crafted and with such interesting variation (not a great description but can't think how else to put it).
    Really surprised there isn't a huge buzz about this band (even in the mainstream media).

Any Beach House fans here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Yeah love them, latest album is a gem. Had ticket to see them in Dublin last week but raging I couldn't go, will catch them another time I hope. Not too gone on their first 2 albums, but Teen Dream and Bloom are different class.

This short movie is good too

Some people might describe the dream-pop sound as samey but that's the thing- each song is also so well crafted and with such interesting variation (not a great description but can't think how else to put it).

That sameyness would be the main problem I have with them tbh. As much as I love Victoria's voice I find it difficult to listen to an entire Beach House album without feeling a tad bored. There are other dream-pop artists who I find much more versatile/less samey; of course if you believe Wikipedia the range of artists you can describe as being dream-pop is huge! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dream_pop_artists Seeing R.E.M., Animal Collective, Crystal Castles and Ellie Goulding all under the same category is a tad strange.

Anyway I think Beach House are great at what they do, I just wish they'd be a bit more adventurous or experimental or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Not a band I binge on regularly but when I do they're fantastic. I loved Bloom and Teen Dream but their first two do nothing for me. Even though they have much the same sound on all their albums I think they refine and improve upon it from album to album. However I would like to see them try something very different for their next album as I think they've taken their sound as far as it can go. Something that will catch the listener off guard.

And yes the dream-pop sound is anything but samey, it's a very loose term. A.R. Kane sound a million miles away from Mojave 3 who sound a million miles away from A Sunny Day In Glasgow. But all are linked by a blissful, ethereal feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

loved Teen Dream but the new one is just more of the same, and not quite as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I agree with loyatemu. Bloom sounds like the songs that didn't make it on to Teen Dream. Happens a lot with bands though, once they hit on something that sells they repeat it again and again. Constant touring can also result in the follow up to a successful album not receiving the amount of time and attention it needs. I'd love to see something completely different for the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 ladysadie

They really do encapsultate 'dream pop', I always feel like im in a bubble away from reality when I listen to them...
    Anyone see them in the Iveagh gardens recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

I would be a big fan of certain songs. Songs like Gila, Norway, Zebra etc are amazing. They do only seem to function at one tempo though and I thought their most recent album was a disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

Bloom is a great album. I loved Devotion as well. Teen Dream I need to listen to more. Yeah all their songs do sound much the same but with some bands thats a good thing. I really like albums that stick to a certain mood and feel, of course there's room for variation, but within certain parameters. Some fast punky tracks in the middle of Bloom would have ruined it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭WhirlEsme

I'm just getting into them, but liking what I'm hearing so far. Myth was the first song I heard by them (Shazamed in some random shop!). Really like Bloom - really laid back. Going source Teen dream next. Their style reminds me of another band - one which I can't recall now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

WhirlEsme wrote: »
    I'm just getting into them, but liking what I'm hearing so far. Myth was the first song I heard by them (Shazamed in some random shop!). Really like Bloom - really laid back. Going source Teen dream next. Their style reminds me of another band - one which I can't recall now.

they remind me of a cross between Mazzy Star and the Cocteau Twins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Bloom is probably the most beautiful album i've ever listened to.
    I can't think of anything that comes close.

/off to listen their back catalogue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

They were incredible at Iveagh Gardens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

Well I've listen plenty to Teen Dream. It's great, Bloom is still my fav album of their's.

Advertisement