Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread Starting Limit

Options
  • 30-07-2013 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭

Theres a 60 second delay on reporting posts* and for sending PMs, how come there isnt one for starting threads?

I doubt anyone would care if a timer was imposed and A*seholes like this wouldnt be able to mess up the place as much.

*this should really be removed
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

That guy must have a really sad life - how anyone can derive any amusement or pleasure from that behaviour is baffling. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

That guy must have a really sad life - how anyone can derive any amusement or pleasure from that behaviour is baffling. :confused:

I imagine it's more of a BOT than a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Keith wrote: »
    Theres a 60 second delay on reporting posts* and for sending PMs, how come there isnt one for starting threads?

I doubt anyone would care if a timer was imposed and A*seholes like this wouldnt be able to mess up the place as much.

Good idea. Very few reasons why genuine posters (even new posters) would need to start more than one thread within 60 seconds. It's only done by spammers and trolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

A half hour limit would be just about right. Then even genuine newbies who aren't sure of the rules won't get banned as trolls/spammers when they try post a question across a few forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

ken wrote: »
    A half hour limit would be just about right. Then even genuine newbies who aren't sure of the rules won't get banned as trolls/spammers when they try post a question across a few forums.

I'd say 30 minutes would be a bit too much IMO.

But the report post delay should be axed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

MugMugs wrote: »

Ok. Maybe half an hour is too much. Maybe something along the lines of the more posts you have the quicker you can start threads. 1 star 15min. 2 stars 10min. 3 stars 5mins.

Fully agree with the reported posts time limit needing to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The frequency of Reported Posts needs to be controlled using a dashpot to stop numptys reporting every single post made by someone they are in a keyboard battle with. Vindictive reporting can be quite common and the damper of 60 seconds is a good control for that.

A 60 second dashpot on the New Threads might have some merit for real life spammers but the spambots will adjust and post accordingly.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I imagine it's more of a BOT than a person.
    Case of mistaken identity so, I was thinking of someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Report post delay can't be axed because it creates a new post. So it's really the delay on posting that causes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Orim wrote: »
    Report post delay can't be axed because it creates a new post. So it's really the delay on posting that causes it.

Its actually a new thread thats started.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Its actually a new thread thats started.
    As is the case with yellow and red cards - don't know if it's possible but Mods would need to be excluded from any time limits for starting threads

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Keith wrote: »

No. The delay is there so you put some thought and effort into the reported post message.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Why are threads generally limited whereas individual posts are not?
    If I'm talking in a pub or on a bus with people, I'm free to swing the conversation in what ever direction I feel like, as fast as I like.
    Now with boards I'm quite hindered from the get go. There's already a massive language barrier on here so to speak with people wrongly interpreting things. I don't know if the answer lies with more smileys or what could be the solution.
    I think Dr. B said it best when he pointed out that this is the internet, and while a private company, it is a public forum....isn't it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Why are threads generally limited whereas individual posts are not?
    If I remember correctly (as the question has been up before regarding reporting posts and possibilities to not have to wait 60s) it was down to technical limitations. A post require a lot less from the DB then a new thread basically so the limitation was put in to ensure the DB would not be overwhelmed.

That's from foggy memory though so may be wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If I'm talking in a pub or on a bus with people, I'm free to swing the conversation in what ever direction I feel like, as fast as I like.
    Now with boards I'm quite hindered from the get go. There's already a massive language barrier on here so to speak with people wrongly interpreting things. I don't know if the answer lies with more smileys or what could be the solution.

Because Boards isn't the equivalent of five people sitting around a table in a pub, and just because one person wants to swing the conversation in whatever direction they want, doesn't mean everyone else does. It confuses things, makes things harder for other people to join the discussion, results in more than one conversation at a time when there's the perfectly valid and much preferred option of simply starting a new thread for a new discussion.

Some discussions can have dozens of people engaged in it. Someone trying to swing the discussion in a direction they want is disrupting the discussion for those other people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Perhaps a one month wait between Feedback threads would be more useful. o_O

Advertisement