Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAA Football Season Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

polaris68 wrote: »
    Ruling stands - Stephon Tuitt ejected from the game!

What did he do? Never heard of targeting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    What did he do? Never heard of targeting

New rule in college ball this year. Hit on defenseless player or hit to the head & your gone

If CJ Mosley doesn't end up a Giant in the draft I'll be sickened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

TJ fupping Jones.

17-7 Bama. Norwood hurt catching the TD. Pardon the pun but they are on a roll now. McCarron is in stellar form tonight

• Advertisement

TJ fupping Jones.

I like him again!

I like him again!

Just saw his TD on the coverage of Bama -LSU & guessed you'd forgive him

17-14 LSU TD. Mettenberger going stride for stride with McCarron.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

All square. Great game. Bama uncharacteristically loose on defence, missing plays they'd usually make.

Bama have the higher ceiling and that'll probably be enough to haul them through at home.

TD Bama. Saban choosing the perfect moment to kick-start his offense with a fake special teams play and extend the drive.

• Advertisement

Bastard ACC officiating crew fūcking us over on that PI call!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Heffo001

Go on TJ!

I like him again!

Think I might love him now!

Farley is a really poor player

It seems that almost everytime Folston has been in the game, they've run a sweep with Jones.

Oh, Tommy, Tommy, Tommy.

Bama have this one pretty much wrapped up now. Only Georgia standing in the way of one of the highest stakes Iron Bowls in living memory.

Now Nix limps off. 7 points down and all going to sh1t 😢

Christ, empty back field again!

ND suffered from some bad calls and have a lot of injuries, but still shouldn't be losing to Pitt.

Tommy reverted back to his 2011 self and I just can't understand why they kept putting the ball in his hands with the game he was having. He went on one good streak of about 7 or 8 completions, other than that he was ****e.

Not sure why Folston didn't get more carries after his effort last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

I'm very disappointed in Coach Kelly,Diaco's and Martin's overall performances this season.
    A few instances include:

-Mattias Farley starting over Max Redfield,Redfield is the highest rated safety recruit ND have gotten since i've started following them ,Farley continues to make mistake after mistake.
    -The unbelievable regression of Bennett Jackson,who looked like a potential NFL starting corner last season into a guy who will struggle to get drafted next year.
    -George Atkinson is a good player and a terrific returner,but he runs far too tall as a running back. He shouldn't be getting carries ahead of Folston.
    -The struggles of Amir Carlisle
    -Running out of the Pistol,it just doesn't work with a quarterback who couldn't outrun a 45/50 year old South Bend cop in the off-Season.
    Kelly needs an offensive overhaul. I wonder would Jeff Quinn leave Buffalo to be the offensive co-ordinator.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,339 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Kelly needs to not have Tommy Rees be his starting QB. That will be rectified next year.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Kelly needs to not have Tommy Rees be his starting QB. That will be rectified next year.

Agreed. For all our flaws, with Golson under centre we might well be unbeaten.
    Hammar wrote: »
    I'm very disappointed in Coach Kelly,Diaco's and Martin's overall performances this season.
    A few instances include:

-Mattias Farley starting over Max Redfield,Redfield is the highest rated safety recruit ND have gotten since i've started following them ,Farley continues to make mistake after mistake.
    -The unbelievable regression of Bennett Jackson,who looked like a potential NFL starting corner last season into a guy who will struggle to get drafted next year.
    -George Atkinson is a good player and a terrific returner,but he runs far too tall as a running back. He shouldn't be getting carries ahead of Folston.
    -The struggles of Amir Carlisle
    -Running out of the Pistol,it just doesn't work with a quarterback who couldn't outrun a 45/50 year old South Bend cop in the off-Season.
    Kelly needs an offensive overhaul. I wonder would Jeff Quinn leave Buffalo to be the offensive co-ordinator.

Farley is a poor player, however the safety position is a difficult position to master. Last year Motta, a very limited player physically, was one of the most important players in the defence simply because of the help he gave Farley and Russell pre snap. I think that may be why Farley is starting this year, despite Redfield being a potential stud. I think with Baratti coming back next year and Shumate and Redfield having a year at the position under their belts, we'll be a lot better off at safety.

Agree on the RB position. I has high hope for Carlisle before the season but so far he's been very disappointing. After Folston's game against Navy I thought they eould give him plenty of touches. I think he had 4 carries and most of the other snaps where he was on the field we seemed to run a reverse with TJ Jones. Atkinson should get 4-8 carries per game.

Also agree that a new offensive co-ordinator could work wonders. The play calling has been improving as the season goes on imo, but I'm still left scratching my head at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

Baylor has fallen back to 5th behind Stanford after the latest BCS. They can jump them again if they win out against the better Big 12 teams remaining (far from a foregone conclusion against Texas and esp. OSU). The computers seem to regard the Pac 12 highly with all teams ranked above their poll positions. People have talked about UCF and Fresno St. being the non major big 4 bowl spoilers but Northern Illinois is up in the rankings with a big game against Ball State in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Lirange wrote: »
    Baylor has fallen back to 5th behind Stanford after the latest BCS. They can jump them again if they win out against the better Big 12 teams remaining (far from a foregone conclusion against Texas and esp. OSU). The computers seem to regard the Pac 12 highly with all teams ranked above their poll positions. People have talked about UCF and Fresno St. being the non major big 4 bowl spoilers but Northern Illinois is up in the rankings with a big game against Ball State in a few days.

Baylor were 6 last week so moved up in the rankings. UCF is in a BCS conference the talk on them is because on non aq eligibility not because they are non AQ

Northern Illinois have no chance of jumping Fresno if both win out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

D3PO wrote: »
    Baylor were 6 last week so moved up in the rankings. UCF is in a BCS conference the talk on them is because on non aq eligibility not because they are non AQ

Well yeah they didn't fall back in position but they are now behind Stanford, a one loss team, who they were ahead of the previous week.

I don't think either Fresno or Northern Illinois have done anything to show that either deserve to be in one of the four major bowls. I've no problem letting a non-BCS conference school in if they're worthy. Fresno State's biggest win of the season is a one point victory over a much diminished Boise State team at home. Yes you can only beat the opponents put in front of you and their conferences don't help but their non conference schedule is weak. Past BCS busting teams have done better putting together a deserving resume but this isn't one of them. I realise that the bowls aren't necessarily about putting together the best 8 (or 10) teams but they've done nothing to show they are anywhere near a top 20 team let alone top 10. Nothing of course except win all their games ... but it takes more than that for me. And I dread to see the wash out bowl match up they'd create (I'm sure these comments will make some root for them more... the underdog and all that... hey if they prove me wrong ... great).

Well yeah they didn't fall back in position but they are now behind Stanford, a one loss team, who they were ahead of the previous week.

I don't think either Fresno or Northern Illinois have done anything to show that either deserve to be in one of the four major bowls. I've no problem letting a non-BCS conference school in if they're worthy. Fresno State's biggest win of the season is a one point victory over a much diminished Boise State team at home. Yes you can only beat the opponents put in front of you and their conferences don't help but their non conference schedule is weak. Past BCS busting teams have done better putting together a deserving resume but this isn't one of them. I realise that the bowls aren't necessarily about putting together the best 8 (or 10) teams but they've done nothing to show they are anywhere near a top 20 team let alone top 10. Nothing of course except win all their games ... but it takes more than that for me. And I dread to see the wash out bowl match up they'd create (I'm sure these comments will make some root for them more... the underdog and all that... hey if they prove me wrong ... great).

On Fresno, I'm fairly sure that lots of NFL scouting/personnel people would love them to get into a BCS bowl to get a handle on how good Derek Carr is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I hear ya but equally you could argue the same about any BCS bowl having a conference affiliation and taking a conference champ. The American conference or whatever they are now calling the Big Easy is a joke the winner of that conference is no more deserving of a BCS bowl berth than a Fresno or a Northern Illinois but they get one.

Same in the basketball some of the teams that get into March Madness have no business there and its at the expense of better teams but you know what they have gone out and earned it so fair play to them. If you run your schedule weather your good bad or indifferent you have earned a shot at a BCS bowl IMO.

I know people argue about non BCS teams only deserving a shot if they are good enough but on the flip side Boise missed out a few years ago because TCU were a top top team (and subsequently went on to win the Rose Bowl) and the rules stated Boise wouldn't get a shot because of it and that Boise team were as good as anything pitted in the other BCS bowls and just as if not more deserving.

So these schools have to live by and die by the sword and sometimes they get the benefit of it and sometimes they don't. This season just so happens they will get the benefit of it.

For what its worth I think Northern Illinois are better than Fresno having seen both play this season but I think both will get spanked in their BCS game.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Just found a pic that you college football fans might find interesting...

4DUBce.jpg

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,339 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

D3PO wrote: »
    I hear ya but equally you could argue the same about any BCS bowl having a conference affiliation and taking a conference champ. The American conference or whatever they are now calling the Big Easy is a joke the winner of that conference is no more deserving of a BCS bowl berth than a Fresno or a Northern Illinois but they get one.

Same in the basketball some of the teams that get into March Madness have no business there and its at the expense of better teams but you know what they have gone out and earned it so fair play to them. If you run your schedule weather your good bad or indifferent you have earned a shot at a BCS bowl IMO.

I know people argue about non BCS teams only deserving a shot if they are good enough but on the flip side Boise missed out a few years ago because TCU were a top top team (and subsequently went on to win the Rose Bowl) and the rules stated Boise wouldn't get a shot because of it and that Boise team were as good as anything pitted in the other BCS bowls and just as if not more deserving.

So these schools have to live by and die by the sword and sometimes they get the benefit of it and sometimes they don't. This season just so happens they will get the benefit of it.

For what its worth I think Northern Illinois are better than Fresno having seen both play this season but I think both will get spanked in their BCS game.

Some people want pure power rankings to decide who gets to play in the big games. They should never get their way.

Advertisement