Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigrants, how did you find adjusting?

Options
  • 30-07-2013 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭

I am asking this because I am actually from the US, but live in another part than I am used to, and find some of the things driving me nuts.

It must be even harder adjusting from another country entirely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Took me a loooong time- far longer than I thought- I would say about two years. Part of that was a cultural issue, coming form liberal Dublin where I was by far the most conservative of my friends to Arkansas, where I am considered a hippy, and some... "differences" with my in-laws who live local. What really helped were two things:
    - I got pregnant again and made "mommy friends" with a similar mind set who were into natural stuff etc preparing for the birth.
    - I started volunteering for a cat rescue and so met animal lovers- pet rescue is a great way to make friends from all over the religious and political spectrum who have something in common.

There is still days where I miss my Irish friends (here almsot 5 years), where I realise how much I will never fit in here (for example when I make Terry Pratchett or Monty Python jokes and no-one gets it, the prayers before every public event), and I still miss some of the food. But I am ok now, I wouldn't go back if someone offered me a ticket. Well, unless it came with a big house, decent job and good services for my autistic child...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Didn't take too long, maybe 2 or 3 months. I had already lived outside of Ireland for years, so in many ways it was nice moving to an English speaking country again. I had been in and out of the US for years before due to work etc so things like tipping, service industry etc wasn't a shock. Also I have been a fan of american tv for years (the office, snl etc) so I already was on board with many of the cultural references.

I think my wife (Spanish) found it harder than I did, even though she is fully in to the whole thing now and can't even visualize us moving back to Europe any time soon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Had lived in Paris for 15 years before moving to NYC so was very used to city life and found that it took almost no time to 'fit in'. I'd say that trying to remember how to pronounce 'tomato' over here is the hardest thing I face on a weekly basis :)

Surprised though at the common usage of cheques in banking.

I'd say that I have it easy having moved to NY and my experience would be a lot different in say Dallas or Denver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

It was easy on some level. I moved here straight after college so that transition was going to be new, whether I stayed at home or moved to another country. I was lucky enough (and still am) to have moved to a city of comfortable weather year round so that certainly helped.

I think the hardest part about moving and adjusting is not being around the regular people you see and talk to, which goes for moving from and to any country. You can't call home at any hour of the day, or just stop by. You can't meet friends or siblings whenever suits. You have to make new friends and acquaintances, and similar to Silja, you meet them by volunteering, taking classes, work socials. You have plumbing problems? Car troubles? Anything at all?? You can't call that family friend to come check it out. You have to start making new connections and trusting people you don't know anything about, which was a big issue I faced. It took me 2 years to find a doctor purely because it wasn't my GP from back home. I guess that's why Yelp and such rating companies come in handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Ponster wrote: »
    Had lived in Paris for 15 years before moving to NYC so was very used to city life and found that it took almost no time to 'fit in'. I'd say that trying to remember how to pronounce 'tomato' over here is the hardest thing I face on a weekly basis :)

Surprised though at the common usage of cheques in banking.

I'd say that I have it easy having moved to NY and my experience would be a lot different in say Dallas or Denver.

I am very used to the directness of the east coast and lose patience with the laid backless of the west coast. Also would take NYC obnoxiousness over passive aggression any day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I am very used to the directness of the east coast and lose patience with the laid backless of the west coast. Also would take NYC obnoxiousness over passive aggression any day.

Ha!

Whenever I am in NYC i find the pace and directness of East Coasters off putting, I am used to mellowness of the bay area and wouldn't exchange it for anything! (well ok...NY maybe I could get used to)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Come to the Southwest. We don't say much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

MadsL wrote: »
    Come to the Southwest. We don't say much.

I'm dying to see the southwest. Always wanted to.

You must miss the irish chatter boxes?

Advertisement