Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wacky apple

Options
  • 30-07-2013 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭

noticed the doors shut the past few days when passing up through john street,,any one know whats the story with them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

closed down another pub gone from waterford also alfie hales on barracks street is closing on sunday but reopening as doyles i think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Did it change much after it got renamed the "Wacky Apple"? I hadn't been in there in a long time, but the Rogue was always a great pub back in the day.

Incidentally, why the hell did they change the name? A pub's name is its brand, and everyone in Waterford (and loads who visited) would have known the Rogue and known it as a good spot. Wacky Apple was just a stupid name IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Wacky Shoes is gone aswell, same people owned both business's.

Heard they're in Australia now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Wacky was very apt knowing the owner.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

fricatus wrote: »
    Did it change much after it got renamed the "Wacky Apple"? I hadn't been in there in a long time, but the Rogue was always a great pub back in the day.

Incidentally, why the hell did they change the name? A pub's name is its brand, and everyone in Waterford (and loads who visited) would have known the Rogue and known it as a good spot. Wacky Apple was just a stupid name IMO.

It was completely different. They totally gutted the Rogue and turned it into a trendy bar with big screen TVs. Could not have been more different unfortunately.

I miss The Old Rogue, some pub!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

..Brian.. wrote: »
    It was completely different. They totally gutted the Rogue and turned it into a trendy bar with big screen TVs. Could not have been more different unfortunately.

Place was falling to bits sorely neglected.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

Nypd wrote: »

was still a nice spot of a gig and an pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

..Brian.. wrote: »

Do you remember Bobby McGee's? That too was gutted out and truned into one of those ghastly plastic paddy pubs as I would call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

The Rogue was the business! I used to love the place, once it changed to the wacky i stopped going there, just not my cup of tea.. (or pint)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Nypd wrote: »

So is Downes's, but that's the charm of certain pubs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

My favourite was Ned Kelly's.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Any news on this is it reopening or in the banks or what's the story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Couple of interested parties so I doubt it will be closed that long

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Probably needs a name change for starters. I never really consider going there on a night out. Is it for sale? I wonder what it's worth

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Its due to open for the Oct bank holiday & a name change will happen as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

any idea who is going to run it?

leduke wrote: »

The person running it managed the pub when it 1st opened for 5 years.
    It should be a well run ship now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

leduke wrote: »

Heard it was one of the Freewheelers

thomasm wrote: »
    Heard it was one of the Freewheelers

It's defn not the freewheelers

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭joni1

Hooray, great to hear a bit of good news about the city centre for a change

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

would it be Tom Mullane again or the crowd that opened it up as the wacky first ? do tell

tankbarry wrote: »
    would it be Tom Mullane again or the crowd that opened it up as the wacky first ? do tell

All I know is the person taking it over, managed the pub when it opened 1st as the Wacky Apple :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Worsty ?

cbl593h wrote: »
    Worsty ?

??

Interested to see how this goes in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

great to hear reopening. Its got a bit of character in there, a few dodgy characters in there of late i felt when it was open months back

Max Powers wrote: »
    great to hear reopening. Its got a bit of character in there, a few dodgy characters in there of late i felt when it was open months back

It will take a good strong team to keep the place clean the first few months, but if they manage that it could do quite well, good location and an easy place to fill.

Max Powers wrote: »

Yeah from what I was told there were dodgy characters and others left in their under old management. The pub was not a good place to be in.
    The best thing to happen was that it closed and those dodgy characters found a new place to frequent.
    the new management want it to be over 21's , get a good crowd, good music & good pint.

Over 21's eh, seems to be the goal for every new place these days! Not necessary for me, just keep out the scum and it will be fine

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Over 21's eh, seems to be the goal for every new place these days! Not necessary for me, just keep out the scum and it will be fine

Well I think that they just don't want 16/17 year olds in the place.
    As you said keeping the scum out of the place will be the hardest and the no1 priority

Advertisement