Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know what plant this is?

• 31-07-2013 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

I'm not sure...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

I'm no expert and this is only a guess but it could be boxwood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

camellia? does it flower?
    Any chance of a daytime pic or a close up of a leaf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,674 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd be inclined to second camellia - the bog standard pink one - its looking a bit starved in that pot though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

Yup definately Camellia, agree it looks a bit stunted and starved, plant it out asap or at the very least pot it on in a bigger pot and feed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Linto

Thanks folks.
    We've just bought a new house and this was left there out the back. Not sure whether to plant it or dump it. Now that I know what it is that helps :)

Do these things grow to be big trees or are they only shrubs? Worth keeping?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Linto wrote: »
    Thanks folks.
    We've just bought a new house and this was left there out the back. Not sure whether to plant it or dump it. Now that I know what it is that helps :)

Do these things grow to be big trees or are they only shrubs? Worth keeping?

Shrubs - 2/3m tall at most and they flower for ages in early spring when there's not much else about. They can be easily clipped if they get too big. It really needs to be in the ground - looks a bit starved. Dig a nice large hole and make sure its well watered if we get any dry spells over the next few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,674 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agree with lottpaul, the basic one, the pink one I mentioned, will make a biggish bush, nice glossy leaves and loads of showy pink flowers in spring, though they do tend to hang on as they fade and can look a bit scruffy till they fall. Worth having for the nice splash of colour early though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

don't dump it anyway. If you don't want it give it away. A camellia that size would cost a good bit to buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'd also say camellia and you'll probably need to plant it somewhere it doesn't get morning sun. Apparently/Allegedly if in winter after a night's frost, the morning sun melts the frost too quickly the flowers will fall off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

peadar76 wrote: »
    don't dump it anyway. If you don't want it give it away. A camellia that size would cost a good bit to buy

40-50 euro....maybe more,depending on where you buy from.

• Advertisement
Advertisement