Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holidays and unemployment

• 31-07-2013 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello all
    I just lost my job and my last day is tomorrow. I have already started looking for a job but no luck so far. I am going on holidays next Tuesday which was planned when I was still employed. I wanted to register with my welfare office the day after tomorrow - my first day of unemployment - but I am not sure they will accept the fact that I am going on holidays so soon after applying. Even if I have already started looking for a job and can prove that. I am very concerned they may not have a good opinion of me if I tell them I am going on holidays.
    Do you think that I can go and register on my first day of unemployment and say that I will be on holidays or shall I wait until I am back?
    Thank you for the help
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Yes, sign on the first day you are unemployed. You will see from below that you are allowed two weeks holidays annually while on Jobseekers payment. If you have anything like tickets or reservation documentation handy it would be no harm to bring them with you but not strictly necessary.

22. I booked a holiday last year while I was still in employment. If I go on the holiday, will I still get my jobseekers payment?

You may receive Jobseeker's Benefit or Jobseeker's Allowance for two weeks holidays (i.e. 12 days excluding Sundays) in any calendar year. These holidays may be taken abroad.

If you intend going on holidays abroad, you should inform the Local Office two weeks in advance of your departure and complete form UP 30. All holiday payments will be made retrospectively when you return. If you go on holiday for longer than two weeks, you may be paid in respect of the first two weeks, but will not receive payment for any period abroad in excess of this.

The qualified adult of a person in receipt of Jobseeker's Benefit may take up to two weeks' foreign holiday. A disqualification in respect of the increase for a qualified adult will be imposed in respect of any period in excess of 2 weeks. It is not necessary to complete a UP30 in respect of a qualified adult.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/jajbfaq.aspx

Advertisement