Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long do crocosmia last?

• 31-07-2013 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

how long do crocosmia grow for?I know that they are perrenials but how many years can i expect a plant to last in my garden?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Forever unfortunately, they are almost impossible to get rid of once established. No matter how many of them i dig up next year another few pop up! could be worse things though, they are not the most ugly of plant as long as kept under semi control, its a war of attrition!
    That said the lucifer variety is rather nice and doesn't seem to be as virulent as the more common orange one (dont know its name)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Unless they are killed by something like a very heavy frost, being waterlogged for a long period, being in a shady corner etc crocosmia are very long lived and tend to regenerate themselves and spread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,674 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lucifer are very big though. I seem to have some where lucifer has crossed with the orange one and I have got smaller lucifers. I could be wrong about that, I haven't examined them very closely, maybe they are just not vigorous. Agree with the other posters, once you have them you will never be rid of them.

Advertisement