Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Betting Thread Part III - Insert witty title here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sexton will probably start but that's Still a good price for Saints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

5 units on a treble of:

NZ -8
    Wasps +13
    Ulster +3

gives about 7.00

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

5 units on a treble of:

NZ -8
    Wasps +13
    Ulster +3

gives about 7.00

ive added in saints +3 to return about 13.00

sydthebeat wrote: »
    ive added in saints +3 to return about 13.00

Here's hoping she rolls in!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Gloucester -20.5 2.0 1 unit. Firsts out for Gloucester, seconds for Brive. Weather forecast is decent, Gloucester well able to run up the score when on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

matthew8 wrote: »
    Gloucester -20.5 2.0 1 unit. Firsts out for Gloucester, seconds for Brive. Weather forecast is decent, Gloucester well able to run up the score when on top.

Yep I'm also on this. Was thinking -9.5 first half hcap too.

Old Balance: 54.37 units

- 2.5 units (10/11) Gloucester -19

- 5 units (4/9) Munster to win
    - .5 units (21/10) Munster to get try BP
    - .25 units (17/10) Simon Zebo try in 80 minutes
    - .125 units (8/1) Peter O'Mahony try in 80 minutes
    - .125 units (22/1) Paul O'Connell try in 80 minutes

New Balance: 45.87 units

The weather is good in Gloucester, should be covering and hopefully in style.

Yep first half poor but they've well and turkey broken Brive at this stage

What an absolute cruise.

• Advertisement

Connacht -15 1.91 1 unit. If they're any good at all they'll smash the seconds of La Rochelle, probably the weakest Top 14 squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Connacht -15 1.91 1 unit. If they're any good at all they'll smash the seconds of La Rochelle, probably the weakest Top 14 squad.

Not concerned about the weather warning for the west & south this weekend?

wowy wrote: »
    Not concerned about the weather warning for the west & south this weekend?

It's a concern but 15 isn't a massive handicap to cover, Connacht are used to imperfect conditions anyway.

Dragons +14 1.91 1 unit. Cardiff -7 1.91 1 unit.

5 units on a treble of:

NZ -8
    Wasps +13
    Ulster +3

gives about 7.00

Well that didn't last long. :mad:

Taking Munster +11.5 here in play. Think they'll regroup at ht and put it up to Sale second half

What a man Keatley!!!! Saved a few accumulators I'd say! ;)

PHEW! Had also put small bets on a big Munster hcap before and the in play win. They were 9/1 when Sale had that scrum on the stroke of half time. Didn't back that price though.

56.38 with 49 staked.

58.72 with 56 staked. 15.57% yield so far this year. Western Province have a home game for a 2.5 point profit next week, bad start for Northampton's 5 units but they're still shorter than I got them, Bath horrific but hopefully they turn the tables on Toulouse next week and get 5, speculative bet anyway, only tempted by the 5/1.

Old Balance: 54.37 units

- 2.5 units (10/11) Gloucester -19

- 5 units (4/9) Munster to win :D
    - .5 units (21/10) Munster to get try BP :(
    - .25 units (17/10) Simon Zebo try in 80 minutes - refunded as free bet
    - .125 units (8/1) Peter O'Mahony try in 80 minutes - refunded as free bet
    - .125 units (22/1) Paul O'Connell try in 80 minutes - refunded as free bet

New Balance: 45.87 units

New Balance: 57.86 units with .5 units freebet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I can't see past a Wasps win this evening 10/3 with PP. I'm on it, so that should ensure a runaway Leinster win. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

I can't see past a Wasps win this evening 10/3 with PP. I'm on it, so that should ensure a runaway Leinster win. :D

10/3? Thats pretty much bottom price in the entire industry, open a betfair exchange account and you could have got 9/2 or shop around. Dont get ripped off by PP.

See what I did. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

GTO pricing is what's used across the markets (example - look how close all the prices align here - http://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing-betting/wolverhampton/15:20/winner . Markets mean all available exchanges / book keepers etc. Any prices that are out of line widely will present arbitrage (risk free wins) opportunities and so they can't react "to where the money goes". They must reflect the win probabilities (&margin) instead.
    I understand that; I'm just not sure why you think that I thought this was how bookies operate? (anyway, I don't)

Yeah, again, get all that. Arbitrage would be known as 'a middle' by those of us with less fancy educations. Of course one bookie can't be wildly out of step with every else, he'll be cleaned out.

I suppose what I'm really asking is; someone has to set an initial price for this game. You can't look at the next bookie and see what his odds are if no-one has published them yet, so what happens?

EDIT: don't worry about it, this is more suited to the gambling thread.

Eliminating arbitrage opportunities doesn't preclude setting odds based on expectation of where the money will go though. It just means you can't dynamically react to it.

There is also no reason the markets won't come to an equilibrium price that doesn't reflect the "true" value.

(disclaimer - I know nothing about betting markets themselves, just a bit about markets in general).

They set the initial lines on win probability. It's the GTO line.
    All books are two sided, you can't extract extra value without offering value. (If you think price for team A is too skimpy, then price for team B must be generous).

GTO pricing eliminates sentimentality in it's entirety, given that where "the money goes" is independent from the calculation of win probabilities.

As an example - massive horse racing meets. If all the favourites win, the bookies lose massively. Surely if there was a factor of sentimentality in the prices offered that this would not be the case? http://www.racingpost.com/news/sport/punters-hit-the-jackpot-as-favourites-win/1592258/

Leinster to win 1.85 1 unit, Leicester to win 1.91 (!) 1 unit. Those Leicester odds are on sportingbet for those interested, and that has to be the bet of the week, barring some more bizarre challenge cup odds. Also fancy Ulster to get the job done but gonna wait on more odds.

Ulster to win 1.83 1 unit.

Bordeaux have put out a strong side including Avei, Bernard and Talebula for their trip to London Welsh tomorrow. They are -8 on PP. It's a must win after they lost to Edinburgh with a weaker team last week.

What's happened to Piri Weepu - he's not even on the London Welsh bench? No need for the Haka. :D

• Advertisement

Weepu's either injured or rested. The tough one for this match is I'm not sure if either team will be trying. Very reluctant to back a french team -8 away from home if not sure they'll be trying but if they do try you'd have to fancy them beating that handicap. Actually it's out to 10 now so very tough to back.

Advertisement