Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Betting Thread Part III - Insert witty title here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Old Balance: 44.24 units

- 5 units (5/4) Munster to win
    - 2.5 units (10/11) Ulster to win
    - 1 unit (12/5) Isa Nacewa try in 80 minutes
    - .5 units (4.71/1) Munster, Leinster and Ulster to win

New Balance: 35.24 units

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I had Nacewa for a try last week and he let me down so I'll give him another chance this week. Ulster to win probably my only other bet.

I hope my recovery starts today. Disasterous start to the season betting wise.

Old Balance: 44.24 units

- 5 units (5/4) Munster to win :D
    - 2.5 units (10/11) Ulster to win :(
    - 1 unit (12/5) Isa Nacewa try in 80 minutes :(
    - .5 units (4.71/1) Munster, Leinster and Ulster to win :(

New Balance: 46.49 units

My first woeful weekend for a while. Nacewa failed again yesterday; Munster couldn't manage more than 8.5 in the 1st half and at HT I reckoned that they were beat so went with Ospreys to win.....serves me right. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭typhoony

My first world cup bet today, I can see Georgia putting it up to the Tongans in the 1st half, they've had some good first half performances over the last 12 months and they brought in some professional trainers to prepare them for the World Cup, I think the 12/5 to win the 1st half is worthy of a bet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Looking at the England - Figi game and the 26 point spread on PP seems generous. Figi are no walkovers and all the pressure will be on England in opening game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I think England will hockey them. Fiji take decent form from the Pacific Nations Cup but the level of that competition is very poor. Full team out from England they'll want to lay down a marker. Last Autumn France put out a weaker team against Fiji and were still 24 point favourites (won by 25). Now England, who are better anyway, have a stronger team, more incentive to thrash them are only favoured by 2 more points. England -26.5 1.98. If it's a strong enough team from South Africa then they should very much cover the 44 point spread too against Japan. 38 points the Irish handicap, if we field a half strength team it's probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

My experience of the last world cup was that, more often than not, the underdogs cover the spread in the first round of matches. To that end I've taken Fiji, Georgia, Japan and Argentina

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

The English game I think will be a blowout. I think if Fiji are going to be competitive, then it will be in the first half where they can frustrate England and keep the margin to about 7-10 points at ht. However, the second half when England become more confident and the pressure is off a bit more, is where I'd imagine that they'll cut loose. Fiji are in good heart after the Pacific Nations Cup win and the 47-18 win over Canada but I think they will be put to the sword by 30+

If Ireland play a 75% strength team they will win by in and around 35 points. Canada have lost their last 12 tests to the likes of USA and Japan (three times each), Samoa (twice) and Tonga. Last time out, they were beaten well by Fiji as I mentioned above. They are a country that concentrates on sevens nowadays and a lot of their 7s players such as Dala, Moonlight, Mack, Hearn etc will be doubling up in the RWC. I think Schmidt might send a close to full strength team to play Canada and then rest a few players against Romania before the big ones against Italy and France. 39 points is a lot to give up, but if the Canadian form is anything to go by, they should certainly be well capable of covering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I have allowed myself a little bank to play with this World Cup - will track the bets on here. Beginning with a bank of 100 units, my first selections are:

Fiji +25 1/1 5 units
    Tonga 1-12 8/5 5 units
    Italy +17 1/1 5 units
    SOB try in 80 mins 7/5 5 units
    Louw try in 80 mins 5/6 5 units
    Creevy try in 80 mins 6/1 5 units

Old Balance: 46.49 units

- 2.5 units (10/11) England vs Fiji over 55.5 points
    - .25 units (15/2) Leone Nakarawa try in 80 minutes
    - 1 unit (17/10) Keith Earls 2 or more tries
    - 1 unit (17/10) Iain Henderson try in 80 minutes
    - 1.5 units (evens) Ireland vs Canada second half over 4.5 tries
    - 2 units (5/6) Gareth Davies try in 80 minutes

- 3 units (4/1) Julian Savea top tournament tryscorer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Laying England at 1.03 for 10 units.

Fiji to win 16/1; Fiji more than 6.5 in the 1st half and Nadolo to score a try 9/5.

Ireland to win the RWC 9/1 - well at that price, you gotta give it a lash. :D

Happy days. It could have been a disaster, but Paddy Power's system crashed and prevented me from placing a bet on England to score than 38.5 during the game. There is a God. :D

England%2Bvs%2BFiji.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭closcriobh

Just backed Ireland at 12/1 on the Betfair Exchange. Surely could be a great trading opportunity if they do well in their group (as they should).

closcriobh wrote: »
    Just backed Ireland at 12/1 on the Betfair Exchange. Surely could be a great trading opportunity if they do well in their group (as they should).

They're only wins against France and Argentina away from a nice profit, nicely played.

Conor Murray a try @ 5/4

and Jamie Heaslip a try @ evens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Had no bet myself but a mate had 1,100 on Ireland -43 so by not going for the 3 easy points they have cost gamblers 100's of thousands.
    You got to wonder sometimes....

• Subscribers Posts: 41,542 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Had no bet myself but a mate had 1,100 on Ireland -43 so by not going for the 3 easy points they have cost gamblers 100's of thousands.

Your mates an eejit

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Your mates an eejit

Yeah after he told me i said you could of got Ireland -41.5 on Pinnacle, got to shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What have you got to wonder? They should have taken 3 points cause your mate had over a grand on them?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,542 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah after he told me i said you could of got Ireland -41.5 on Pinnacle, got to shop around.

Could have got them -38 earlier in the week

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Conor Murray a try @ 5/4

and Jamie Heaslip a try @ evens.

Easy come, easy go.

Back on the horse with SA more than 24.5 @ 10/11 :D

mfceiling wrote: »
    What have you got to wonder? They should have taken 3 points cause your mate had over a grand on them?

Not just him but thousands of others.
    I have seen blatant shaving of points often on College Football as a example, im not saying this is the case here but it is widespread in a lot of sports.

Easy come, easy go.

Back on the horse with SA more than 24.5 @ 10/11 :D
    Where are you getting those odds! ?

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Where are you getting those odds! ?

Sorry, should have said SA more than 24.5 in 1st half.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Not just him but thousands of others.
    I have seen blatant shaving of points often on College Football as a example, im not saying this is the case here but it is widespread in a lot of sports.

Yeah but what team captain instructs his team to take points because of what a lot of gamblers are backing?

Sorry, should have said SA more than 24.5 in 1st half.

Ah unlucky with that one. SA have phoned it in so far

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Ah unlucky with that one. SA have phoned it in so far

SA%2Bvs%2BBoks.PNG

The team I dislike most beaten is an added bonus. :D

Advertisement