Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Betting Thread Part III - Insert witty title here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Wish I'd put a lot lot more on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

All Blacks vs Argentina. No value to be had in this game but I'm going with Richie McCaw for a try @ 9/5 as a loyalty bet - it's Paddy's money anyway. :D

JwEryLs.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Alright lads, threw a speculative accum on at start of summer over a few sporting events and am waiting on nz to win the wc for 900 euro from 25 quid bet, not that knowledgeable on rugby should I let it ride or maybe cover it ? Wouldn't mind locking in a bit of profit , any advice on this ? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I have allowed myself a little bank to play with this World Cup - will track the bets on here. Beginning with a bank of 100 units, my first selections are:

Fiji +25 1/1 5 units
    Tonga 1-12 8/5 5 units
    Italy +17 1/1 5 units
    SOB try in 80 mins 7/5 5 units
    Louw try in 80 mins 5/6 5 units
    Creevy try in 80 mins 6/1 5 units

Fuming when Argentina kicked the points near the end of the first half with a man advantage in the pack - that was Creevy's time to crash over!

Oh well, small profit to kick things off:

Fiji +25 1/1 5 units WIN 5.00
    Tonga 1-12 8/5 5 units LOSS -5.00
    Italy +17 1/1 5 units LOSS -5.00
    SOB try in 80 mins 7/5 5 units WIN 7.00
    Louw try in 80 mins 5/6 5 units WIN 4.17
    Creevy try in 80 mins 6/1 5 units LOSS -5.00

Profit/Loss 1.17
    Balance 101.17

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Alright lads, threw a speculative accum on at start of summer over a few sporting events and am waiting on nz to win the wc for 900 euro from 25 quid bet, not that knowledgeable on rugby should I let it ride or maybe cover it ? Wouldn't mind locking in a bit of profit , any advice on this ? Cheers.

Can you cash out early? I'd imagine the odds on NZ winning WC were considerably low so I'm guessing if you could cash out it would be around 550-650 mark?

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    Can you cash out early? I'd imagine the odds on NZ winning WC were considerably low so I'm guessing if you could cash out it would be around 550-650 mark?

No cash out available unfortunately, was thinking maybe sticking a few quid on England and auz.

OPTION A:

Kiwis can be laid (layed?) to win the WC on Betfair at 2.24.

Assuming that 900 includes your initial stake (i.e. 875 profit) your acca was worth 35/1 (decimal 36.0).

You can guarantee yourself £365 regardless of what NZ do in the WC if you lay them now for a £411 backer's stake.

The only drawback with this, is that you'll need to put £510 into a Betfair account to cover your liability, until the end of the WC.

OPTION B:

A more risky option, but one that would get a better return, would be to make a dutch bet on the other teams likely to win the WC. For simplicity I'm going to assume your acca was 36.0 here.

You essentially now have NZ to win the WC at 35/1, £25 stake.

Let's assume (not a guarantee!) that the winner will either be NZ, England, Aus, SA, Ireland, France or Wales.

Make the following bets at the following prices on Betfair:

England: £132 @ 6.8
    Australia: £102 @ 8.8
    South Africa: £82 @ 11.0
    Ireland: £78 @ 11.5
    France: £64 @ 14.0
    Wales: £23 @ 40.0

Assuming one of these teams (or NZ) win the WC you will profit £394 (minus BF commission of 5%).

Benefit with this method is that you only need £481 to cover things and you get a slightly higher return (around 370 after commission).

Drawback would be if someone like Argentina win the WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

you could fairly safely remove Wales from that bet

If i had that NZ bet i would have a saver on england to Cover me and let the rest ride

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

you could fairly safely remove Wales from that bet

If i had that NZ bet i would have a saver on england to Cover me and let the rest ride

No need to remove Wales from the cover bet yet, he can wait a couple of weeks and see which two teams will go forward from that group. NZ will will get through to the QFs, so he can wait. If it was me I'd be tempted to just bet against NZ in the QF, SF and final. NZ will be favourites in every match so there will be plenty of scope.

On another note, Japan are 30/1 with PP to top Pool B. Their win against SA was no fluke and at 30/1 they might be worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Beauden Barrett starting at 10 vs Namibia and is available at 11/10 to score a try. Seems overpriced to me. I'd expect him and Slade at 15 to play the full game, Ben Smith is on the bench but I imagine he may not be used.

Edit: Gone to 8/11, luckily I hoped on in time.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the advice lads, still not quite sure what to do. Will wait a couple a couple weeks maybe and see how the tournament develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭closcriobh

Japan +17 at EVS for me tomorrow in the hope that their win wasn't just fluke.

Fiji +26 evens 5 units
    Japan +17 evens 5 units
    John Hardie Try in 80 mins 11/4 5 units

New balance 86.7 units.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Scotland vs Japan -- over 49.5 points. I just feel the Scottish won't take the Japs for granted and they are a bit more creative now under Cotter. The Japenese kicker is decent and they should score their fair share of points too.

Oz vs Fiji -- Aussie -25 and over 54.5 points. I think the Fijians showed up well against the English first time out but I'd expect the Australians to have too much for them here and I think they might put up a lot of points on the Fijians.

• Administrators Posts: 53,765 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm tempted to do every favourite between now and Friday at their handicap.

Argentina -21
    France -38
    Scotland -16
    NZ -77
    Australia -25

Works out at an accum of about 28/1. Couple of worrying ones there, I am not sure Scotland would win by 16 and I am also not sure if NZ can hit a 77 point differential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

awec wrote: »

Argentina -21
    France -38
    Scotland -16
    NZ -77
    Australia -25

Works out at an accum of about 28/1. Couple of worrying ones there, I am not sure Scotland would win by 16 and I am also not sure if NZ can hit a 77 point differential.

It basically boils down to can the number one ranked team in the world score 11 unanswered tries against the number 20 ranked team... yes..they can do this as with the refs being told to watch everything at the breakdown/clearouts etc i see namibia getting battered and shipping at least 2 yellows in the match and tiring badly. I think the handicap is a bit skinny to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Fiji +26 evens 5 units
    Japan +17 evens 5 units
    John Hardie Try in 80 mins 11/4 5 units

New balance 86.7 units.

Those anytime try bets are being successful for you so far chief, fair play! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Argentina -21
    France -38
    Scotland -16
    NZ -77
    Australia -25

Might have been a different day had Mafi stayed on the pitch. Game on.

• Administrators Posts: 53,765 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

beertons wrote: »
    Might have been a different day had Mafi stayed on the pitch. Game on.

I am raging, I switched from Scotland -16 to Japan +16 at the last minute :mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I am raging, I switched from Scotland -16 to Japan +16 at the last minute :mad:

No way. I copied your bet.

• Advertisement

skippymac6 wrote: »
    Those anytime try bets are being successful for you so far chief, fair play! :D

Thanks man, got a bit lucky today though. As predicted he anchored their maul (my strategy, in a nutshell), but he actually scored a try from open play. Having said that, I think Japan were unlucky to lose by as much as they did (costing me the spread), so things balanced out.

Fiji +26 evens 5 units WIN
    Japan +17 evens 5 units LOSS
    John Hardie Try in 80 mins 11/4 5 units WIN

Nice profit today brings the balance to 110.45 units.

So tomorrow I will be hoping for a lot of tries!

btw all prices I get are on PaddyPower unless otherwise specified.

Codie Taylor Try in 80 mins 7/5
    Liam Messam Try in 80 mins 8/5
    Beauden Barrett Try in 80 mins 11/10 (Unibet)

All 5 units, bringing the balance to 95.45 units.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Old Balance: 46.49 units

- 2.5 units (10/11) England vs Fiji over 55.5 points :mad:
    - .25 units (15/2) Leone Nakarawa try in 80 minutes :mad:
    - 1 unit (17/10) Keith Earls 2 or more tries :mad:
    - 1 unit (17/10) Iain Henderson try in 80 minutes :D
    - 1.5 units (evens) Ireland vs Canada second half over 4.5 tries :mad:
    - 2 units (5/6) Gareth Davies try in 80 minutes :D

- 3 units (4/1) Julian Savea top tournament tryscorer

New Balance: 35.24 units
    Balance: 41.61 units

- 2.5 units (11/10) Beauden Barrett try in 80 mins
    - .25 units (6/1) Beauden Barrett 2 tries or more in 80 mins

- 3 units (4/1) Julian Savea top tournament tryscorer - open bet

New Balance: 38.86 units

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

I very rarely bet handicaps but New Zealand -75 at evens looked too good to pass by.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,542 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I very rarely bet handicaps but New Zealand -75 at evens looked too good to pass by.

namibis first game out, whereas NZ played 4 days ago

id bet the other way myself

5nPHnG8.jpg

My bets for the next few games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Why hide your stakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Nib wrote: »
    Why hide your stakes?

Stakes are your own business really, that's why people use the points system.

• Advertisement

Nib wrote: »
    Why hide your stakes?

To prevent the begging letters when i win big ;)

Advertisement