Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IBT Mistake

• 31-07-2013 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Okay so a few weeks ago I did my IBT, and at the time as impatient as I was I took the earliest date available which was in the A1 category as I convinced myself I was going to start on a 125.

But I have come across a Ninja 250 a bike I've always wanted that falls into my price range. I have an A category learner permit, just only have the IBT in the A1.

What are my options? Is there anyway I can get insured on the 250 or am I going to have to re do the IBT or restrict the bike?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Few issues with your post! You could not do A1 IBT without A1 license AFAIK. Also, your A LP is worthless to you without the IBT.

Are you sure this is correct as your IBT instructor would have to check your LP and make sure it is suitable for the IBT you were doing?

Furthermore, with the A1 LP, the bike max cc is 125, so there is no restriction option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Few issues with your post! You could not do A1 IBT without A1 license AFAIK. Also, your A LP is worthless to you without the IBT.

Are you sure this is correct as your IBT instructor would have to check your LP and make sure it is suitable for the IBT you were doing?

Furthermore, with the A1 LP, the bike max cc is 125, so there is no restriction option.

The OP has a higher permit so of course the could do A1 on an A.
    Hegarz wrote: »
    Okay so a few weeks ago I did my IBT, and at the time as impatient as I was I took the earliest date available which was in the A1 category as I convinced myself I was going to start on a 125.

But I have come across a Ninja 250 a bike I've always wanted that falls into my price range. I have an A category learner permit, just only have the IBT in the A1.

What are my options? Is there anyway I can get insured on the 250 or am I going to have to re do the IBT or restrict the bike?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Contact the RSA and see if they can do anythging but you may need to do the IBT for the correct licence category. If your over 24 do the IBT for the full A not A2, which is the Ninja, as then you won't have to do it for a third time. Just use a school bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

What is the mistake ?
    If you only held an A1 Learner permit, you would be confined to a bike in that category. The ibt instructor would/should have checked your learner permit.
    If you since got an A or A2 learner permit, you will have to do more ibt before you can ride any bike in a higher category than the A1 you have/had.
    Before you do your ibt, you will have to give your permit details to the ibt instructor, so a confirmation code can be got from the rsa BEFORE you do any more ibt training. You will have to do 11hrs more (module 5).

age 16/17= A1 (11kw, max 125cc)
    18/23 = A2 (restricted to 35kw)
    24 onwards = A (unrestricted)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Just thought this might be relevant, I'm in the process of renewing my old type A LP. I had it filled in for the new A2 LP and got the call from the motor tax office questioning if I wanted A2 or new A LP. As they did not know the IBT requirements I was told to call RSA.

I was told, if you get the new A LP, your IBT for your old A LP would not allow you to still ride the restricted bike but you MUST do the module 5 IBT before your new A LP is valid for you to be on the road, regardless of the bike you are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

Del2005 wrote: »
    The OP has a higher permit so of course the could do A1 on an A.

Contact the RSA and see if they can do anythging but you may need to do the IBT for the correct licence category. If your over 24 do the IBT for the full A not A2, which is the Ninja, as then you won't have to do it for a third time. Just use a school bike

Sorry but the first part of this is wrong.

Just because you have A doesn't qualify you to sit tests on lower categories, You would need to also have A1 on your permit to sit a test for that category.

There was a woman in the RSA giving out the same information as above recently, but when it was looked into further it turned out she'd been giving the wrong info out to people. and you in fact need to have the correct category on the permit that you plan to do your test on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Sorry but the first part of this is wrong.

Just because you have A doesn't qualify you to sit tests on lower categories, You would need to also have A1 on your permit to sit a test for that category.

There was a woman in the RSA giving out the same information as above recently, but when it was looked into further it turned out she'd been giving the wrong info out to people. and you in fact need to have the correct category on the permit that you plan to do your test on.

Cat A covers the lower categories : AM/A1, A2 and A
    If you do a bike test, and pass, on a lower category Learner permit, you will only get that category in your full licence.

Advertisement