Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lower Irish Yay or Nay?

• 31-07-2013 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I'm doing 7 subjects for leaving cert and irish really isn't my strong point and won't be on my points and I'd also love to free some study time up. However when I put down my predicted grades i don't want colleges turned off because I did lower irish. Or do I just put my top six predicted grades

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Are you applying to the uk? I doubt they would really care you are doing OL Irish, as long as your others matched there min requirements. In a uk application your refrence and personal statement are going to have a much greater bearing on your application.

If your got going for the uk what do you need predicted grades for?

As for dropping to OL Irish, I did in 5th year. It's incredibly easy, probably easier than JC HL.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Qwaszx

decisions wrote: »
    Are you applying to the uk? I doubt they would really care you are doing OL Irish, as long as your others matched there min requirements. In a uk application your refrence and personal statement are going to have a much greater bearing on your application.

If your got going for the uk what do you need predicted grades for?

As for dropping to OL Irish, I did in 5th year. It's incredibly easy, probably easier than JC HL.

Yes. I'm applying to the uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Qwaszx wrote: »
    Yes. I'm applying to the uk

The uk will not be looking for higher irish, if i was you i would drop down and have more time to focus on your higher subjects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

There's a lot of learning in HL Irish for things that are worth very little percentage wise in my opinion. If you definitley think you won't be counting it just drop down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

From a personal POV i'd say do HL because Im a green blooded patriot

But from a subjective POV I'd say drop if you need the time/struggle with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 GreatAnswers

in my opinion, if you are going to do ordinary level in a subject, irish is a good choice. Simply because there is such a great difference in difficulty between ordinary and higher level. I just did my higher level leaving cert this year and there is alot of learning involved.

If you dont necessarily need the points, then i dont see the point in over burdening yourself with unnecessary work.

Unless you intend on doing primary school teaching, because you need higher level irish for that job :)

hope this helped and best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Do the OL. I wanted to do OL but my teacher persuaded me to stay in HL. Therefore sat 7 higher level papers. I nearly had a mental breakdown. If you don't need it, drop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Do it OP. It was my sacrificial lamb subject out of my 7, best decision I ever made :D.

Advertisement