Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulk buy store

Options
  • 31-07-2013 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hello

I'm looking to open a store selling "bulk buy" items including washing powder, minerals, pet food, confectionery etc etc and was wondering how best to go about it?

I've looked at Hi-Lo and Dealz but was wondering if anyone had ideas on alternative suppliers if I was to "go it alone" and try to work independently?

I feel I have a good location and would do very well with a good catchment area but was hoping for a little help on sourcing the stock!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You occasionally see petrol stations selling the bulk items you are talking about. Most of their products seem to have been sourced from the north/uk. If they are far enough away from your catchment area perhaps you could call into one and ask them where they source their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Thanks - I might try and give that a go.. I've seen some suppliers in the UK as well as the option to align myself with one of the "chains" here in Ireland but think I would be best to work independently of others so I'm not restricted in the products I offer and don't have to meet targets etc...

I know it can be good to work as part of a buying group but guess I'll do some sums first and see how best to proceed!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Petrol stations are buying that stock directly via their symbol group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Big Mouth

This is going to sound very negative but.............. you have no chance in hell of this working.

Dealz (Poundland) and Buy Lo (Barry's) are huge operations that an independent could never come close to matching, forgot this idea and move onto something else as you can only waste time and money exploring any further.

Its an incredibly tough business if you're not involved in it

Its like saying you're going to set up a sports channel to rival Sky Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Big Mouth wrote: »

Its like saying you're going to set up a sports channel to rival Sky Sports

And don't forget that old mantra ;)

If you're not a retailer, don't go into retail !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Won't work? ?? Ridiculous statement when the op has not mentioned the town / area he hopes to set up in!

Dealz need a big population and their product choice is poor away from the 1.49 price point.

Best place to source products us the Autumn Fair in Birmingham. 1st week sept. All the discount guys are together. A day trip is enough time as the fair is next to the airport.

Advertisement