Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fussy Neighbour

Options
  • 31-07-2013 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Set the scene:
    We built a house behind our neighbours, so our Garage backs on to their back garden.
    They already complained to the council about our build but it was too late and the council said we were doing everything right.
    Their house is a holiday home and they are only there on holidays and extended sunny periods.
    Border with their property used to be a huge 10ft+ hedge, they asked us to tear it down as it was growing into their land and they were sick of triming it on their holidays, so we did, it suited us.
    So now they have a fence about 6ft high. Our land is about 3ft higher than theirs so we only have 3ft of coverage if you know what I mean.
    I did offer to build a fence on our side and extend up the boundary but they said no it was fine.

Issue:
    We had a load of pallets around there from the build of our house, meant to get rid but never got around, they gave out to us as they were an eye soar, I removed them when I got time and I moved around the bins and other stuff that I had planned to keep around there out of site, like logs store and 3 traffic cones, that sort of thing.
    I'm just waiting for them to give out about this too. What rights have they about what I keep in my own back yard and about what they can see from their property?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

They have no right to complain about anything that you keep in your backyard, provided its not rubbish (ie a health hazard) or something so extreme as to be blocking their light etc. They have neighbours; if they dont want to deal with that then let them sell up and buy somewhere out in the country surrounded by fields.

Quite frankly, they should have been told where to go with themselves the first time they complained about the pallets. Cheeky gits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

My parents brought a house to get planning for another houses in the garden. They got planning for two small houses from dcc( but every neighbour on the road rejected bar one who brought the house beside out house to build houses too). The excuses were ridculous such we will get rickets( you don't have a right to sun light) to its over development etc.

After 3/4 years of constantly changing plans, my parents built the house. The neighbours thought they could walk on the building site whenever they wanted. My got several planning inspections.

OP the best thing to do is ignore them and their BS. If you keep trying to please them and satisfy their demands. They will just keep coming. Some people are just hateful of others and you can do nothing to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They already complained to the council about our build but it was too late and the council said we were doing everything right.
    they gave out to us as they were an eye soar, I removed them when I got time and I moved around the bins and other stuff that I had planned to keep around there out of site, like logs store and 3 traffic cones, that sort of thing.
    I'm just waiting for them to give out about this too. What rights have they about what I keep in my own back yard and about what they can see from their property?
    Unless you're taking the piss, maybe tell them to f**k off nicely? If they are annoying you, look into building a 6 foot high fence on your own land :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

You probably should have built the pallets into a very nice fence.

I wouldnt even worry about pissing them off; if they only occasional neighbours then you wont have to deal with them for the majority of the year anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'll take the opposite approach... I'd say that your house and garden, to them, looks like a proper tip. A building site with pallets spread around. If I were you I'd do the decent thing and be in their shoes for a few minutes. Then realise what they are looking at and tidy your garden. Being civil and decent will stop most of their complaining and will leave you with a better relationship in the long term.

I'll take the opposite approach... I'd say that your house and garden, to them, looks like a proper tip. A building site with pallets spread around. If I were you I'd do the decent thing and be in their shoes for a few minutes. Then realise what they are looking at and tidy your garden. Being civil and decent will stop most of their complaining and will leave you with a better relationship in the long term.

Its a slippery slope with people like this. They have already told the OP to remove a hedge and move some pallets; if the OP keeps bowing to their demands then where does it stop? They have no right to dictate how the OP keeps their garden; its none of their business. Like I said, they have neighbours; if they dont like it then let them move somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭brendan_donegal

Yes I do see that but it was their decision to cut down the 10ft hedge (which I obliged) and they declined my offer of a higher fence, and then they give out about what they can see? And now I have moved the pallets.
    Surely thats its, actually they did ask to lower the height of the garage after I built it, what do they think I am made of money.......I just would like to know my rights in this situation, Can I store what I like within reason in my back yard, I think I have done everything nicely so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Tell them to mind their own business, once there is no health hazzard there is no issue. Let them higher their fence if they dont want to see into your property.

Being good neighbours is a two way thing if they are constantly complaining they are not worth bothering about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It is your garden op and you can store whatever you like in it as long as it does not alter the usage of the garden, say like storing items commercially would require planning permission.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Neighbours can not dictate what you can or can not do in your garden - does not matter if your own house or renting it

However, if your backyard is a mess and looks terrible - it is a moral issue but nothing they can do about it.
    If your backyard is a rubbish collection site so it invites unwanted visitors like rats & mice, it is a health hazard and they have right to complain
    If you build or grow something what blokes your neighbours sunlight, they have right to complain.
    If you are ****y barbecue chef and burn your sausages regulary spreading unpleasant smoke and smell all over the place then this is a moral issue
    If you smoke cigars or pot in your backyard so specific smell spreads to your neighbours garden and blocks them noses then this is a moral issue
    If you decide to make bonfire or burning rubbish in your back yard and pollute everybodys air they have strong right to complain

I personally would not piss off any of my neighbours but lets pretend that my neighbours complaints are unreasonable and people personas unpleasant I would throw salt on them garden..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Every thread on this forum when someone complains about their neighbours they are told to firstly go and talk to their neighbour. That is what happened in this case and now everyone is outraged :confused:. They are well within their rights to ask for a nuisance hedge to be removed (they were maintaining someone elses hedge! I wouldn't do that). Then they asked for the garden to be tidied as it was (in there opinion) an eyesore (traffic cones???)
    Sounds like a bit of compromise is the solution here. Keep the garden relatively tidy. In future if they ask for something else that is reasonable then comply. If they ask for something that is unreasonable politely decline. Simples.

Im sorry, but if my neighbour, who is only there for a few weeks per year, came over and tried to dictate how I keep my garden then they would be told where to go. They have a right to ask of course, but equally the OP has a right to say no. I didnt get the impression from the OP that they asked politely (terms like "giving out" and calling them an eye sore suggests that they just wanted a rant).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The only issue I would see is the tone that is used. Whether they are there for 1 day or 365 days does not mean they should not approach a messy neighbour.
    Like traffic cones and pallets? Even the OP agreed that he should have cleared them up before.
    As I said if there is a reasonable request then comply. If it is unreasonable then politely decline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭brendan_donegal

Ok so I am well within my rights to store my bins and wood piles and traffic cones in my backyard. So just be nice but clear on my position?

Note: My Garden is immaculate, I am very tidy, even the pallets were stacked neatly, this is not a messy issue it was the items and the fact that they could see them not that they were thrown about the place. They just took exception to them, their personal opinion........

The cones are for protecting my enterance from tourists parking in my drive when it gets busy in the summer, got blocked a few times. I don't just keep mad stuff in my garden to pi%$ off the neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

It sounds like you have been more than accommodating already OP ...

You can store whatever you like in your garden so long as it isn't considered dumping or is unhygienic and it would want to be a right tip for that before the council will get involved.
    Best to adopt a reasonable attitude though and keep everyone onside once they are also being reasonable.

Advertisement