Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activities for the week starting 5th Aug

Options
  • 31-07-2013 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi folks,

First time posting in the parenting section so go easy on me guys.

I’ve two very energetic little boys, the eldest is 2 years 8 months and the baby is 9 months of age. Our eldest is off from crèche next week (5th -9th Aug) so I have decided to take the week off from work to do activities as a family.

I’m looking for suggestions on what to do. We are located in the Meath/Cavan border and travel is not a problem.

Some plans I have are as follows:

-Tayto park
    -Dublin Zoo
    -Dublin City for Dart/Bus ride ( it’s a novelty and has never been )
    -Imaginosity in Sandyford

What else is out there that we can go and see/do... We are a very active family so open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Desperate Dad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I'm not sure if there would be time to get it, but Tesco clubcard vouchers do a deal for €3 adult entry into the zoo. Your kids will be free anyway as they are under 3.
    What about a petting farm? I think there's one called Red Mountain, in Meath or Louth, that's meant to be good.
    GrabOne were doing a deal last week that might still be on for entry to the National Stud. The Botanical gardens and I think a butterfly place are close by to there too, so you could get a few days out of that!
    Enjoy the week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

IF you were getting the DART anyway you could go to the Aquarium in Bray. I don't think it takes much time to get through it but it would be a nice little outing in addition to the DART.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Something for your 2 yr old; the Ark Theatre in Temple Bar have workshops on at the moment for 2-3 year olds. They're on a Thursday morning and the theme is the Circus. I'm bringing my son tomorrow to one and I've another booked for 2 weeks time.

If you're going to the Phoenix Park and the weather is ok why not rent the bikes at the main entrance and have a cycle around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

laurpat wrote: »
    Hi folks,

First time posting in the parenting section so go easy on me guys.

I’ve two very energetic little boys, the eldest is 2 years 8 months and the baby is 9 months of age. Our eldest is off from crèche next week (5th -9th Aug) so I have decided to take the week off from work to do activities as a family.

I’m looking for suggestions on what to do. We are located in the Meath/Cavan border and travel is not a problem.

Some plans I have are as follows:

-Tayto park
    -Dublin Zoo
    -Dublin City for Dart/Bus ride ( it’s a novelty and has never been )
    -Imaginosity in Sandyford

What else is out there that we can go and see/do... We are a very active family so open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Desperate Dad

You could try Funtasia waterpark in Drogheda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

How do you get zoo tickets through Tesco Clubcard for €3? Sounds great :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Something for your 2 yr old; the Ark Theatre in Temple Bar have workshops on at the moment for 2-3 year olds. They're on a Thursday morning and the theme is the Circus. I'm bringing my son tomorrow to one and I've another booked for 2 weeks time.

If you're going to the Phoenix Park and the weather is ok why not rent the bikes at the main entrance and have a cycle around.

How did the ark go how strange? Was thinking of bringing my almost 3 year old.

O was very shy and clung to me for a lot of it but you could see the 3 yr olds loved it. They were less inhibited or something. It was lovely and 45 mins per session which is just right. He's been talking about it ever since though.

I love the Ark and can't wait until he's older to bring him to more things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Don't forget the Dublin Event Guide:

http://www.dublineventguide.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Just to let you know the Zoo is now €4 in clubcard points for an adult ticket, rather than €3. Not much difference I know.

Liliq mentioned Red Mountain Farm in Meath. We went there about 2 months ago on a deal we got - Dealrush maybe? Not great at all - hardly any animals there, we'd seen them all in 5 minutes. A nice green area with a playground where you can have a picnic, a little train made out of barrels, a few sand pits & some rideons. Only that the playground appealed to our 1 year old, we would have been finished seeing it all in 20 minutes, after driving from Tallaght & paying 4 tolls. Definitely not worth it, even with a deal.

I'd thoroughly recommend Lullymore in Rathangan - an absolutely great day out - there's so much to see & do there - a pet farm, a heritage walk, playgrounds for small & big kids, crazy golf, a zipline, a train & a huge indoor ball play centre. We spent 3 hours there back in April, but didn't get to see everything.

Newbridge Farm in Donabate is supposed to be great, as is Glenroe Farm in Wicklow.

Corkagh Park in Clondalkin has a free pet farm. There's pigs, turkeys, geese, ducks, owls, parrots, other small birds and sheep. It's actually perfect for smallies as its not overwhelming.

The playground there is great and probably best suited to older children although there are things for smallies.

Lots and lots of open space, paths and some lakes too. There's a fishing lake there which seems quite popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Yeah we love Corkagh Park, never think of suggesting it, probably as its so close to us, I wouldn't consider it as a day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Dublin Horse Show is on this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

laurpat wrote: »
    We are a very active family so open to any suggestions.

Perhaps this post I wrote awhile back will be of use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

What a great review. Will be next place we bring our 15 month old on a sunny sunday afternoon if its not too far a drive.
    She has already been to the zoo, fota wildlife park and 2 pet farms. She just loves animals. And the price is brilliant. Going to have a quick google on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭laurpat

Guys, thank you all for your suggestions...

We ended up carrying out the following activities...

Tayto Park

Lough Key Forest Park - Boating etc

Malahide Castle - Inc small train journey

Dublin Zoo

I'm now tired!!!

Advertisement