Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any nice gadgets in the states?

• 31-07-2013 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

Hey heading over the state for work for a few weeks and thinking is there any nice gadgets there which would be worth picking up that are a lot cheaper there than here? I am not looking to spend oodles of money but maybe up to couple of hundred dollars worth.

Things I am not looking for are ereader as recently got a Nook, laptop as have a new ultrabook at present so no need for another laptop. Phones also out as use a work phone so no interest in another phone.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Mark.87

Chromecast and the new Nexus 7 are the big things from Google that everyone seems to be waiting on here but if you are gone for a few weeks then hopefully they will be available here by the time you return!

Roku 3 or other media device. I also hear GoPros are quite a bit cheaper in the US.

Since you are not looking for an ereader, laptop or phone then all I can think of is a tablet, mp3 player or what I mentioned above.

Happy shopping :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

No major interest in a goPro, and the Roku 3 looks like could be issues with what you can view on it in Ireland. Havent done much research on this though.

Any cheap enough tablets worth a look at. Have an ulltrabook which I use mainly and I like it, also have a Blackberry playbook but would rather something Android and then sell the playbook. The known battery issues with them annoy me, bad design flaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

chris85 wrote: »
    No major interest in a goPro, and the Roku 3 looks like could be issues with what you can view on it in Ireland. Havent done much research on this though.

Any cheap enough tablets worth a look at. Have an ulltrabook which I use mainly and I like it, also have a Blackberry playbook but would rather something Android and then sell the playbook. The known battery issues with them annoy me, bad design flaw.

Been there recently...

Nexus 7 tablet "old" one still very good and deals out there (check staples)
    Pebble watch (bit of a gimmick tbh but maybe new Sony one if u have android phone)?
    New headphones? I like Bose ones (plenty of comments too say no but I like)
    Any apple products $ = € price)

Apple shop, best buy, staples, us comp your best shot

higster wrote: »
    Been there recently...

Nexus 7 tablet "old" one still very good and deals out there (check staples)
    Pebble watch (bit of a gimmick tbh but maybe new Sony one if u have android phone)?
    New headphones? I like Bose ones (plenty of comments too say no but I like)
    Any apple products $ = € price)

Apple shop, best buy, staples, us comp your best shot

Ok cool, I like the sound (pardon the pun) of the Bose headphones, will check that option out. i also completely forgot about Staples, massive as it is, mainly was checking Best Buy and Walmart for an idea of things. Going to also head to outlets near here for some clothing.

I also say this galaxy tab 2 in walmart for $129, its a refurb but great reviews from it for a refurb. Think I have seen these refurb models go for €200 at home so may look into that more

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-2-7-Tablet-with-8GB-Memory-Titanium-Silver-Refurbished/21142087

Ended up going for the Nexus 7, bought it today for the $229 dollars, currently setting it up but looks like a lovely machine.

Is there any liabilities for duties back in Ireland bringing this back? Would it be best to dump the packaging?

• Advertisement
Advertisement