Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD vs Research Masters

Options
  • 31-07-2013 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭

Hi guys;

Just looking for a bit of advice. I am currently on a PhD program in Ireland studying chemistry/biology. I am finding myself less and less motivated as time goes by. I have done two years of the PhD and I am considering packing it in and writing up a research masters.

Now I have no interest in continuing with research in my future. I don not want to post doc. My main concern is that the lack of a PhD may make my employment prospects worse. Does anyone have any advice they could offer in this area?

I really don't see myself finishing out the PhD and that does disappoint me, but I'm sick of being broke and dreading coming into work, but if I quit this and go into industry I could be in the exact same position in a years time saying o I wish I finished that PhD.

Advertisement