Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

En-suite vs larger room-What's a fair split?

Options
  • 31-07-2013 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭

Myself and 2 other people are currently looking at a house to let and we're just wondering what the fairest method of splitting the rent is. So the story is there are 3 bedrooms. 2 of the bedrooms have en-suites. Whoever is in the third bedroom would use the general bathroom in the hallway. All three bathrooms have showers, basins and toilets. The general bathroom shower is inside of a bathtub.

The area of the rooms (not including the en-suites) are:

Bedroom 1: 12.7 sq m
    Bedroom 2: 14.5 sq m (no en-suite)
    Bedroom 3: 11 sq m

The rent is 1200 pm for the house

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭I dont know

I've shared different houses with lots of people, from 6 others down to just one other at the moment and we've always just split the rent equally and left room selection to a draw. No one has ever suggested different rent amounts depending on their room size.
    Currently living with one other, I have an en-suite, he has a slightly bigger room and the main bathroom outside his door all to himself. We both pay the same rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

On that limited information, I would not venture an opinion.

If you all seem to think that there should be some differential, why not auction the rooms between yourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

3 people , 3 bathrooms the larger room being the non en suite one. I cant see any reason for the rent not to be split evenly on the proviso that the main bathroom cannot be used by the other housemates or their guests.

But if you guys think there should be a discrepancy I think the idea made by P Breathnach is a great one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I would also go for an even split.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Id be inclined to agree that it sounds like an even split is pretty much in order. The only issue might be that the main bathroom is obviously going to be used by guests etc and is not going to be private, so perhaps a slight consession could be made for that. Up to yourselves really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

djimi wrote: »
    Id be inclined to agree that it sounds like an even split is pretty much in order. The only issue might be that the main bathroom is obviously going to be used by guests etc and is not going to be private, so perhaps a slight consession could be made for that. Up to yourselves really.

Or is someone is having guests they have to tidy the main bathroom before or after they leave, providing the person who "owns" it keeps it reasonably clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do these areas include the area of the en-suite?

Is there a separate toilet for use by visitors?

Area shouldn't necessarily be the sole determinant. Someone might 3want a room away from street noise or some such criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

I've shared different houses with lots of people, from 6 others down to just one other at the moment and we've always just split the rent equally and left room selection to a draw. No one has ever suggested different rent amounts depending on their room size.
    Currently living with one other, I have an en-suite, he has a slightly bigger room and the main bathroom outside his door all to himself. We both pay the same rent.

There will always be somebody who will have a preference for a box room in order to save cash and when one person moves out, there's often some "rebalancing" of rent required to entice a new person into the house. Last house I was sharing (some years ago admittedly), we split it something like this:
    570 each for 2 double rooms with en-suites
    430 for plain double
    230 for box (and it was a proper box room)

If we tried splitting it 450 each and having a draw, we'd never have got somebody for the box room.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The area of the rooms (not including the en-suites) are:

Boy-oboy ... 12.7 sqm .. don't forget that's not quite 13 sqm ..

If that's the level of detail you're going to before you move in - then I hate to think what the cleaning roster is going to look like!

Seriiously, unless one room is vastly inferior (and I mean like 1/2 the size or blasted by street noise, not just a measly problem like having to take three steps down the hallway to use the loo), then an even split is the only way to go.

Advertisement