Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tplink av200 homeplugs

Options
  • 31-07-2013 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Bought 2 of these yesterday and am having terrible problems setting them up.

I have had homeplugs before and it was literally plug and play but not these..

I am actually having 2 issues, 1 is plug related and 1 is a problem with my iMac.

Anyway the problem with the homeplugs first..

I have UPC at home so its the cisco router 2925 I think, I am on 100mb line.
    When I hard wire the iMac using a long ethernet cable I get 103mb which is fine.

When I tried the homeplugs for the first time I got 15mb?
    I tried different cables etc, tried them on a macbook the speed jumped to 30mb but no higher?

All the lights are on the plugs so there is no issue there, I have got them plugged into extension leads but also had my old ones done that way with no loss of bandwidth.

I have tried them directly into a socket and still the speeds are slow?
    Anyone any advice about these plugs?

My second issue is that the router is not giving my iMac an IP address through DHCP, it gives one to 3 other devices (windows laptop and 2 macbook's) with no problem.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Plug them in beside each other and see if they work. Homeplugs are very hit or miss and depend on the quality of your electrical cabling.

30Mbps is in the window of what you will get with 200Mbps homeplugs unfortunately. Depending on the distance and the nature of your home wiring, I find you typically get 20-40Mbps real world throughput with them. Sucks but that's the nature of the technology.

500Mbps models will go a little bit faster but not the 2.5x faster you would expect. They tend to get higher speeds over short distance but then fall away to similar speeds as 200Mbps over farther distance.

There's a lot of things that can interfere with them and slow them down. Wall warts (phone chargers etc), flourescent lights, halogen lights, LED bulbs, dimmers, certain types of circuit breakers.. I used homeplugs with a HTPC and one time I got a new case with PSU and it completely killed the speed in that room, went back to the old case/PSU and it was fine. The PSU was giving out too much interference.

Unfortunately they are not a guaranteed solution, you don't know how well they work until you try them in your home.

The DHCP issue is unlikely to be related to the homeplugs. They simply work as a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Cheers for the replies lads.

The solwise plugs I had were great, I got the full 100mb from them.
    The tp link ones though don't seem as good.

I will keep messing around in case its down to sockets etc.

As for the DHCP issue its the iMac and not the plugs, I knew that and just need to find a solution.

I was just posting it to give the full picture.
    Thanks again for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sorry for hijacking the thread but what do ye think of these? http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O

Running cable is impossible so thinking of home plugs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

zerks wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking the thread but what do ye think of these? http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O

Running cable is impossible so thinking of home plugs.

I got these and they're great. Some showing 337Mbps. Make sure you have good quality Ethernet cables, though. One bad one in the wrong place can throw things off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement