Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from after hours

Options
  • 31-07-2013 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was banned from After Hours by whoopsadaisydoodles for this post:
    I'm surprised so people would not be ashamed of their parents for being a 20+ year leach on the state. A short time I understand, but a lifetime?

The thread is in after hours.

I don't believe I was trolling - never-mind "more trolling". If you follow the course of the discussion thereafter you will see that I substantiated and backed-up my point. It was an opinionated observation based in fact.

We've spoken by PM and I was advised to bring it up here.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Hello Enda.

Step one here is to contact the mod with relation to your ban via PM.
    Do that and if you still have a problem come back here and I or one of the other C-mods will check into this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

enda1 wrote: »
    Hi,

We've spoken by PM and I was advised to bring it up here.
    Hello Enda.

Step one here is to contact the mod with relation to your ban via PM.
    Do that and if you still have a problem come back here and I or one of the other C-mods will check into this for you.

Thanks for your reply. Like I mentioned in my OP, the mod directed me here.

Hello.

I've taken the time out to read through the thread in question.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85768740#post85768740
    titled:
    "Would you be ashamed to say you were reared in a Council house?"

In which you posted, amongst other things but this is definitely the worst example
    I'm surprised so people would not be ashamed of their parents for being a 20+ year leach on the state. A short time I understand, but a lifetime?

To be fair, you linked to this in your first post here. But I'm just framing the context a little better.

That sentence is a calculatedly barbed response which appears designed to goad in my humble opinion.

any additional input on thread (which I've also checked out) does not gloss over the reality that that sentence comes across as nothing more than trolling and attempting to provoke a negative reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Hello.

I've taken the time out to read through the thread in question.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85768740#post85768740
    titled:
    "Would you be ashamed to say you were reared in a Council house?"

In which you posted, amongst other things but this is definitely the worst example

To be fair, you linked to this in your first post here. But I'm just framing the context a little better.

That sentence is a calculatedly barbed response which appears designed to goad in my humble opinion.

any additional input on thread (which I've also checked out) does not gloss over the reality that that sentence comes across as nothing more than trolling and attempting to provoke a negative reaction.

It was phrased in an attempt to provoke a reaction. The thread had been a "let's pat each other on the back" thread about the virtues of a subsidised lifestyle. I was trying to shock people back to the reality that their upbringing was subsidised. It really wasn't an attempt to troll in a traditional sense, but only the fact of countering their argument would be seen as trolling.

If the same question had been phrased as "I've been on the dole for 20 years and its great" would a similar response to mine have been treated so harshly? Because I don't think of the two topics as a whole lot different which is what I was trying to portray.

enda1 wrote: »
    It was phrased in an attempt to provoke a reaction.
    It was phrased to provoke a negative reaction.
    It's shock-value posting. It's trolling.
    The thread had been a "let's pat each other on the back" thread about the virtues of a subsidised lifestyle.

That's a depressing way of looking at it.
    I was trying to shock people back to the reality that their upbringing was subsidised. It really wasn't an attempt to troll in a traditional sense, but only the fact of countering their argument would be seen as trolling.

If the same question had been phrased as "I've been on the dole for 20 years and its great" would a similar response to mine have been treated so harshly? Because I don't think of the two topics as a whole lot different which is what I was trying to portray.

The question wasn't phrased that way though and the manner in which you posted was purely to goad others and for that, with your history into account, I believe that the ban is justified tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement