Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone heard of a Sprite before?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I've seen a sprite from the ground, years ago. Large thunderstorm cell, about 40km distant, underside hidden behind mountains. Very late dusk in about September, mostly dark adapted as I was out in the countryside since sunset. I saw one flash of lightning and a no-too-dim flash above the cloud. The light above the cloud was seen with averted vision. No colour noted, but there wasn't any high cirrus clouds around and I did note that the flash wasn't a single wide flash, but appeared to have an illumination front that moved upwards from the cloud. The fact it was not a flash but had movement in the extent of illumination was something that bothered me until years later when I saw the video of sprites - reminding me of what I saw that late summer's evening.

I'm fairly sure that what I saw was a sprite. Certainly open to interpretation, but it's the most likely cause of what I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

Ive heard of them. Ive never seen one. There was a program on nat geo a while back about them. Apparently there ten times bigger than a normal lightning strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Sprites were first observed from Space, I believe, changed the relationship we had understood with electricity and storms where weather was confined to the troposphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

It's a poor mans 7 up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

It's a poor mans 7 up

I think you have to reevaluate that statement, like Seven Up is like 70c while sprite is more like €2.80 for similar volumes.

So I am poor, on Job Seekers, so I buy a drink like how many times more expensive, I guess, if I could figure it out I'd not be out of work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement