Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting ESB in My Name

Options
  • 31-07-2013 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭

I am new to this rental stuff, moving into a new place on Thursday and the land lord wants me to put the ESB in my name, which I know is normal, but how do I go about doing that and will it include having to pay for the electricity that was used before I moved in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

You need to call the ESB and tell them you wish to put your name on the account.

If things were handled correctly before you moved in, the previous tenant would have closed their contract with them. The Landlord should then have taken over the account until you moved in.
    Now you take it over.

You shouldn't be liable for any charges whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

fussyonion wrote: »
    You need to call the ESB and tell them you wish to put your name on the account.

If things were handled correctly before you moved in, the previous tenant would have closed their contract with them. The Landlord should then have taken over the account until you moved in.
    Now you take it over.

You shouldn't be liable for any charges whatsoever.

Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Xenji wrote: »
    I am new to this rental stuff, moving into a new place on Thursday and the land lord wants me to put the ESB in my name, which I know is normal, but how do I go about doing that and will it include having to pay for the electricity that was used before I moved in.

You need to take a reading from the ESB meter! Don't rely on any reading the Landlord gives you, demand to see the meter yourself!

You can then ring the ESB/bord gais/airtricity etc and set up a new account in your name, you will need the MPRN which will be on any old bills, plus the current meter reading.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    You need to take a reading from the ESB meter! Don't rely on any reading the Landlord gives you, demand to see the meter yourself!

You can then ring the ESB/bord gais/airtricity etc and set up a new account in your name, you will need the MPRN which will be on any old bills, plus the current meter reading.

Yeah I got them to take a picture of it today and I took one as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Yeah I got them to take a picture of it today and I took one as well.
    Then all you need is an old bill with the MPRN number or the meter number off the front of the meter will do if you don't have any old bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,418 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You need to decide what supplier you are going to use and what tariff.

Unless you have an existing account, some suppliers insist on a deposit and/or that you pay by direct debit.

Victor wrote: »
    You need to decide what supplier you are going to use and what tariff.

Unless you have an existing account, some suppliers insist on a deposit and/or that you pay by direct debit.

Thanks, anyone I asked wanted me to set up a direct debit with them, and they were all quite pleasant, although I am sure that will change when they actually start taking my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,886 ✭✭✭✭L1011

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Then all you need is an old bill with the MPRN number or the meter number off the front of the meter will do if you don't have any old bills.

Meter number and model number - which some very old meters simply don't have. Try to get the mprn

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

although I am sure that will change when they actually start taking my money.

Nope. They stay pleasant, unless you get behind on payments. then they turn snarly...

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭rtron

What would happen if you fall behind in payments? If you were a resident in a house and the Esb was in your name and not the house owner would the bill liability lie with the resident and not the owner(landlord).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

rtron wrote: »
    What would happen if you fall behind in payments? If you were a resident in a house and the Esb was in your name and not the house owner would the bill liability lie with the resident and not the owner(landlord).

The bill liability is with the person who is named on the bill. It has nothing to do with who owns or doesn't own the property. You have a contract with the provider, so would be liable, as the user of the service, for the bill.

Mod Note: No need to re-open a thread over three years old. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement