Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Balrotherys?

Options
  • 31-07-2013 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

I'm doing some research into family history and I've noticed that there seems to be two Balrotherys in North Co. Dublin.

There's the Balrothery just next to Balbriggan and another Balrothery about 5km east of Rolestown.

Is the later still a town, or just a townland? Is the first Balrothery a newer addition?

Any info would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

This is an error with Google Maps (if that is what you are referring to). However, there is another Balrothery that exists near Tallaght.
    Balrothery's original name was Balruddery (it is still called this by locals) but a reason unknown to myself it was changed to Balrothery over 100 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

Dow99 wrote: »
    This is an error with Google Maps (if that is what you are referring to). However, there is another Balrothery that exists near Tallaght.
    Balrothery's original name was Balruddery (it is still called this by locals) but a reason unknown to myself it was changed to Balrothery over 100 years ago.

i was under the impression that the tallagh balrothery, was an estate, that dont use there post codes, an post issued them a leaflet about it because i got 1 houses mail, all there mail, for 3 months.... still get the odd letter from them oce every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

Balrothery(the one outside Balbriggan) has tithe returns from 1833 and it was spelt Balrothery on the returns.

We also have the two Baronies of Balrothery, East and West.

Map of Dublin Baronies 1900
    425px-Baronies_of_Dublin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Below is a link to a 1801 Statistical Survey of Dublin which has Balruddery. I'd love to know in what year the village changed names and also the reason, does anyone out there know?

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/aai-files/assets/ebooks/15_19_Dublin-Statistical-Survey/19%20Statistical%20Survey%20Dublin.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

Below is a link to a 1801 Statistical Survey of Dublin which has Balruddery. I'd love to know in what year the village changed names and also the reason, does anyone out there know?

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/aai-files/assets/ebooks/15_19_Dublin-Statistical-Survey/19%20Statistical%20Survey%20Dublin.pdf

I doubt you could zone it down to a particular year, English changes over the years and with universal education and ever changing local dialects so does spelling. Fingal did have its own language which was a mix of old English, middle English and Old Norse. Often people attempt to connect names with Irish meanings forgetting that many villages and towns were settled by vikings or Normans or Welsh in Fingal.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Planning/ConservationHeritage/HeritageProjects/Final%20Balbriggin%20HLC%2011-08.pdf
    Balrothery
    At the time of the arrival of the Anglo-Normans (1169), Balrothery was held by a family of Welsh origin from Gwyneed. Thirteenth century genealogical collections refer to a Welshman ‘Rhirid ab Owain Gwyneed’ or perhaps ‘Rhodri’ his brother, who held lands in the Barony building on the foundations laid by Edmund Curtis. The Dublin Merchant roles c.1200AD states that the town was named Baliretheri, an Irish form, suggesting that the brothers owned the town before the establishment of the Anglo Norman over lordship (Duffy 1997). Like many of the pre-Norman landholders in Fingal, the Welsh lost control of many of their early estates that they had acquired through their association with the Ostmen of Dublin. The lands were subsequently granted to the newly arrived Anglo-Norman lords, the lands of Balrothery passing into the hands of the de Clahulls and later, the Barnewalls (Duffy 1997). It is also popularly thought that the name may have been derived from the Irish Baile O’Ridire meaning the town of the Knights. Balrothery tower house (DU005-010, RPS 085), located on a natural rise in the wooded gardens of Glebe House to south of the present church and graveyard in the village was a class of Parliament House where the Barons or Lords of the district would gather to take counsel (Donnelly, 1977). Plots of land were appointed to Knights to graze their horses. These are indicated on the early OS map editions as long narrow plots to the east of the main street. Within one of these plots a decorated stone disc was found (NMI 1974:80) which may have been discarded or lost by one of the knights.

This map below of Dublin County from 1837 spells the village and Baronry of Balrothery as Balrothery. Curiously the Barony of Nethercross appears in pockets throughout the Barony of Balrothery
    http://www.mapspictures.com/large_maps/dublin.jpg

Taylor and Skinner Maps of the Roads of Ireland records a "Ballruddry"
    http://digitalcollections.tcd.ie/home/#searchresults

Many other places in NCD have had spelling changes over the centuries
    Rowlestown/Rolestown
    Mallahide/Malahide
    Baldongan/Baldungan
    Lambey/Lambay
    Balskaddon/Balscadden
    Naall/Naul
    Hollywiid/Hollywood
    Brymore/Breemor/Breemore/Bremore