Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet consultation fees too high and off putting

• 31-07-2013 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

Is it just me or do other people find the consultation fees for vets too high? Paid €46 last week for 5 mins and a €7 antibiotic. Have several rescue animals but at this rate won't be able to take any more. My GP only costs €50. What are your vets fees like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭fits

I paid 48 euro last week for an overnight, sedative and four stitches, and 5 days of antibiotics. All with an excellent vet. Admittedly I travel a distance to get to that vet. Shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

That's some difference fits, btw the €7 was on top of the consultation fee. Also I knew all I needed was an antibiotic so if anyone knows somewhere you can buy them over the counter that would be a great help, or even on the Internet. This particular vet has me broke just want to see if they're all similarly priced as I need some neutering done soon, just glad I'm still employed!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

€30 consultation down in Limerick..now I don't feel so ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Don't forget though that a vet has to deal with patients who can't tell them what's wrong and who are usually uncooperative. Not to mention that they are able to treat a wide variety of different species, a doctor only treats one :)

Blazer wrote: »
    €30 consultation down in Limerick..now I don't feel so ripped off.

A bit more reasonable but still quite high I think for anything smaller than a dog. I'm in Dublin but will travel to Kildare or Meath on principle for better pricing. It's that or no more pets unfortunately......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

It's not that expensive. Bear in mind a vet went through the same number of years in college as a doctor, and running a surgery with proper modern equipment is not cheap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Puzzle35 wrote: »
    A bit more reasonable but still quite high I think for anything smaller than a dog.

What has the size of the animal got to do with the cost of a consultation? It's the vet's time and expertise you're buying. That doesn't reduce with the size of the animal treated!
    As already advised, if you're not happy, shop around! But vets have as high, if not higher overheads than human doctors have.

I fully intend to shop around, but thanks for the advice.... My main question is what are others paying around the country, so far it seems only substantially lower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

It is often the case that fees charged by Vets practicing only 'small animal' medicine are higher than those charged by Vets whose practice is primarily 'large animal'.

Those Vets whose primary income is derived from other professions / businesses (farmers, meat factories, horse trainers etc) are not as concerned with the relatively small level of their income derived from treating pet animals, and so are more likely to charge less per item.

The, mostly urban, 'small animal' practices are more likely to employ trained staff & employ expensive technology (scans / xrays / computing software) and don't have a Dept of Agriculture monthly cheque to cover their overheads.

Having said all that, it's vital to have a Vet who is relatively recently trained, provides adequate out-of-hours cover, and can be trusted to provide & supervise a welcoming, comfortable & well equipped enviroment for your pet & you.

Money well spent is never counted.

For paws, I don't disagree with your main points. However, as someone who takes in strays etc, animal welfare at an affordable price is key to me. Were I unemployed, which is common these days, the animal would have to remain with no vet consultation. €46 for 5 mins is highly excessive in my opinion and will deter people seeking treatment for animals. I'm not interested in high technology just a basic vet who can provide basic diagnosis and treatment. Prices around the country anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

For paws, I don't disagree with your main points. However, as someone who takes in strays etc, animal welfare at an affordable price is key to me. Were I unemployed, which is common these days, the animal would have to remain with no vet consultation. €46 for 5 mins is highly excessive in my opinion and will deter people seeking treatment for animals. I'm not interested in high technology just a basic vet who can provide basic diagnosis and treatment. Prices around the country anyone?

Actually thats not true. I'm unemployed and vet care for my cat is very affordable. Since I got her I've brought her in for her checked, got her the 2 shots she needed, got her chipped, got her worm tablets and ear drops for her ear mites and all that only cost me about 70e all together over two visits, I go to the mobile vets run by the dspca. Its very very affordable because its for unemployed people and because of it I am able to give a cat a loving and stable home with vet care if she needs it that she might not otherwise have had. http://www.dspca.ie/mobileclinic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I paid €50 for kennel cough - which is basically a nasal spray. Feel hugely ripped off! Got a reminder that it's due for renewal, but am reluctant to return to same vet.
    My only concern, is that our dog had operation on his elbow and all his records are with this vet. Can I take them with me? (the cost of the op was €3,500)- luckily had cover, thought after all was paid, the ole kennel cough would have been thrown in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

When it comes to paying for treatment for several pets, Vets don't distinguish between 'rescues' and pedigree show dogs.
    That's because it's the treatment that is charged for, not 'the treated'.

The Blue Cross organisation provides less costly care to those who genuinely can't afford it.

All I'm saying is that some Vets (mostly rural) are cheaper than others, and there is a substantial reason for the differential.

Would I prefer a 'basic vet who can provide basic diagnosis', with correspondingly lower fees to a more costly Vet with access to high technology which might enable him / her to accurately diagnose my pet's condition ?

No.

I can empathise with your concerns, but I'm wary of any argument that dissuades pet owners from using Vet services any less.

Maybe bring your views directly to your Vet and ask them why it costs what it does. If he / she is anything like my Vet they will be able to recount the level of unpaid bills, the amount of charitable / pro-bono work they routinely take on, the increases on the bills we all pay (Energy / Rates / PRSI etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fiounnalbe

My GP only costs €50.

Probably one of the most insulting things a vet could hear I would imagine. Do you know how much training they go through?? Not to mention the hours they work each week?

Regarding prices as people said above, depends on the vets you use. Completely small animal practices are always more expensive and imo better to bring your small animals to, well worth the extra money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You should be glad that your pet only needs a 5 min consult - I know I would be. If you pet was sick and needed longer should you be charged more for keeping the whole waiting room waiting ages? Of course not. I pay €42 consult fee in our vets and I have no problem with that at all because my custom is valued and I'm paying for the best care possible for them not the cheapest option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭fits

More expensive does not always equate to better care. I am really happy with my current vet. He owns his premises and didn't spend a fortune upgrading it in celtic tiger years so he has lower overheads than many. I called once on a Sunday afternoon when my dog had injured himself (always the same dog!) and he came in especially, dressed the wound and prescribed antibiotics for something like 28 euro.

Other option close by is a (more expensive!) mixed small and large animal practice and having gone there once, I wouldn't go back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 ugly_mug

Magenta wrote: »
    It's not that expensive. Bear in mind a vet went through the same number of years in college as a doctor, and running a surgery with proper modern equipment is not cheap.

true , the only expense a GP has ( in this country ) are a few magazines every few years

what I really find expensive with pet vets in this country are meds , I got painkillers for my dog for five days recently , 40 euro for fifteen tablets , I could treat 100 cattle for worms for that , I think vets know that non farmers are less cost conscious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

ugly_mug wrote: »
    true , the only expense a GP has ( in this country ) are a few magazines every few years

A vet doesn't risk multi-million Euro lawsuits if they screw up (assuming they're not treating thoroughbred racehorses). I imagine insurance is a lot lower for them . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭foreversky

Vet looked at my lad, (had gastro bug in january) for bout 5 mins, took his temp,got two tablets cost €45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Is it just me or do other people find the consultation fees for vets too high? Paid €46 last week for 5 mins and a €7 antibiotic. Have several rescue animals but at this rate won't be able to take any more. My GP only costs €50. What are your vets fees like?

If you are doing comparisons between Vet fees and GP fees, it is worth bearing in mind that GP fees are VAT exempt whereas Vet fees are subject to 13.5% VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

brrabus wrote: »
    If you are doing comparisons between Vet fees and GP fees, it is worth bearing in mind that GP fees are VAT exempt whereas Vet fees are subject to 13.5% VAT.

Didn't know that about vat.

My vet us a bit like my doctor : if it's multiple visits around the same time or for the same thing, or if I've just been very unlucky they will both be flexible in how they charge me ; and the normal rate card goes out the window - for which I'm always grateful!

If ( vet!) it's covered by the insurance then we always pay the " proper" amount - thou my dog has exemptions and my vet is flexible in pricing around these issues.

Some vets are part covered / work in tandem with the Blue cross - and can offer vouchers for payment or part payment discounts for treatments. Have you considered ringing up the Blue Cross & explaining your situation & asking if there are any vets in the area they work with ? Might be worth your while. You could also use the blue cross vet services for a donation only - might be worth checking out if you qualify .

The poor vets get a hard time - we are paying for their expertise & training. If the kill our dogs we moan , if they cure them too quickly were not satisfied that we got good value. If our pets are quickly & easily treated we complain; but if the treatments is complicated & costly we complain too! The vet still has to book time out for the dog and refuse other appointments regardless - s/he dosn't know in advance how much/ little time it will take !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 ugly_mug

gizmo555 wrote: »
    A vet doesn't risk multi-million Euro lawsuits if they screw up (assuming they're not treating thoroughbred racehorses). I imagine insurance is a lot lower for them . . .

multi million law suits , yeah , that happens to a lot of GP,s :rolleyes:

did neary who butchered women in Drogheda even loose his pension ?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

i have to say i consider myself lucky to have a really great vet that i have been frequenting with my dog over the last 6 years. Her basic fee is 55 euros and she has the most incredible bedside manner i have ever encountered when it comes to handling and treating my dog.
    i have never felt rushed out the door, quite the opposite in fact. i rarely spend less than 45 minutes with her for even a general exam with my older dog. Yep, she goes the extra mile for her clients and i know of many that are as content as i am with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Used the same vet for 28 years (2 different dogs) but when it came to the end 2 weeks ago when the poor dog took a fit I had to look online as previous vet wouldn't make the 5 minute walk to look after him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Didn't know that about vat.

Comparisons have been made in many areas for all sorts of reasons. In the field I work in I always consider the VAT issue as this greatly affects the argument as the argument is usually based on the Gross price which is perfectable acceptable as this is the price we pay at the end of the day from our pockets, the majority would not consider the actual cost or rather net cost or actual fees being taken by the provider. Consider for example, Consultancy Fees in the medical area are subject to 23% VAT, as are for example solicitors fees, accountancy fees. Comparing one to another should really only be made on a Net basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

I attend a vet in Co. Cork. She was recommended to me.
    Thankfully haven't had anything serious with my dogs.

I had one neutered there and got his vaccinations the same day - that was €90 I think - it's a good few years ago.
    I get vac & kc there every year. It's €40 per dog. (25 vac & 15 kc) I've had these administered separately and together and have had the dogs done separately and this year everything for both on same day - the cost structure is the same no matter what combination.

I've taken both of them in with cuts/hot spots/irritations. She examines them, usually gives them a shot and a course of antibiotics. That costs €35. She's very nice and has a great way with them. Neither of them care about going in there and will quite happily lie on floor of her room when she's with other! I also find her very approachable and very nice and she's interested in what I'm doing with the dogs and how they're getting on. For vac & kc I'd be with her about 15 minutes in all - she does a quick exam as well and weighs the dog.

I think her fees are really good and as a result I'm more inclined to take them there - my last visit was definitely a reassurance one for me ahead of holidays!

I do think it's worth shopping around a bit. I know of vets in the vicinity with far higher fees than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

I have a very reasonable vet. It's a rural community and he does both small animal and agri but he doesn't really have a fixed consult fee. If he has to do something or prescribe meds he charges accordingly and if he doesn't he often doesn't charge. He never charges me for a follow up consult. He also doesn't charge for euthanasing - just one of his strong principles. I guess he feels he has had the money from you over the years.
    Best plan as stated before - shop around and ask around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Sk8rchic

My local vet in Dublin is fantastic, they are only a small clinic run by the dspca. €20 consultation fee plus whatever medication the dog needs. Vaccinations are €35 too. Bargain in my eyes the vets do change, but they are usually really good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I go to a very good Vet in Celbridge, recently had to have our fella sent on his way. Add an overnight stay, x-rays, "The Deed" and cremation, we where thinking near €400 or more. Bill comes to less than €250 and they are happy to take payments in instalments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement