Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tick questions

• 31-07-2013 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

Where i used to live in Australia, we didn't get ticks, but as a new dog owner in Ireland i've just had my first encounter with one :( Cooper is always walked with a lead on and normally in paths, however yesterday evening we ended up doing a bit of bush bashing through some longish grass. I didn't think anything of it, however i've just home for lunch and discovered a tick in his food bowl :( it wasn't there this morning and his bowl is inside. Cooper is an Alaskan Malamute so he has thick fur and he also grooms himself much like a cat. Is it possible then that he has removed it himself or that it didn't attach properly due to his thick fur? What sorts of precautions should i be taking and how would i know (other than seeing one) that he has one?

As an aside, don't look at google images of 'ticks and dogs'...some of the images are pretty horific with the nimber of ticks on the dogs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

mel.b wrote: »
    Where i used to live in Australia, we didn't get ticks, but as a new dog owner in Ireland i've just had my first encounter with one :( Cooper is always walked with a lead on and normally in paths, however yesterday evening we ended up doing a bit of bush bashing through some longish grass. I didn't think anything of it, however i've just home for lunch and discovered a tick in his food bowl :( it wasn't there this morning and his bowl is inside. Cooper is an Alaskan Malamute so he has thick fur and he also grooms himself much like a cat. Is it possible then that he has removed it himself or that it didn't attach properly due to his thick fur? What sorts of precautions should i be taking and how would i know (other than seeing one) that he has one?

As an aside, don't look at google images of 'ticks and dogs'...some of the images are pretty horific with the nimber of ticks on the dogs

http://www.frontline.com/Pages/default.aspx

you get get frontline from your VET, its the best for trying to keep ticks at bay.

was the tick, big , fat and round? if so its beacuse it has taken as much bood as it can fit inside...

or if it was a dark grey, probably means it was dead and thus it will fall off...

if it was a small ish size and not rounded means it probably didnt latch

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Have your sadistic fun popping them. Absolutely HATE them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

It looked like the 'Engorged american dog tick nymph' on this page... I could see little legs sticking out wiggling

http://lancaster.unl.edu/enviro/pest/tickphoto.htm

Will follow up on the frontline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

mel.b wrote: »
    It looked like the 'Engorged american dog tick nymph' on this page... I could see little legs sticking out wiggling

http://lancaster.unl.edu/enviro/pest/tickphoto.htm

Will follow up on the frontline

was it rounded and fat? if so it means it fed as much as it wants from your dog... and thats why it fell off.

Frontline works very well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Try getting the Frontline Combo instead of ordinary Frontline. This eliminates fleas, ticks and biting lice. Also you can buy a tick removal kit quite cheaply which removes the whole tick once it has attached to the dog's body.

• Advertisement
Advertisement