Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Year / Thesis Tips

Options
  • 31-07-2013 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Going into my final year in September. (Finally!)

Basically was just wondering if any of you guys have any hints and tips that would be useful going heading into the last year of college, and in particular what does/will the thesis involve and do you guys have any recommendations in how to approach it??

(Is a thesis the same as a dissertation?)

What is the format like? For example is the document broken down into different pieces you do individually or do you treat it as one whole doc?

What are good ideas in deciding a good title and your areas of research?

I heard you get assigned a lecturer to guide you, is this true?

Do you go to classes and do exams in the same format as 1st to 3rd year?

Basically, is there anything I should be aware of that I might not be, or is there anything you guys think might be useful in preparing and completing the final year? :)

In typical DIT fashion we haven't been given any specific information in what to expect. At the end of last year I asked and was told' "Just think of idea's that you would like to research" and that was basically it... which I found quite vague....:confused:

Thanks,

Dork.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

What are you studying. I might be able to give you a few pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ardeehey

In terms of the year's format...when I was there you had classes for all of your subjects as usual and the dissertation was just treated like an extra subject. You got allocated a lecturer for it (depending on the topic) and had up until about 2 weeks after your exams finished to hand in the final product. During the year you usually have ongoing meetings and reviews with the assigned lecturer to go over your work to date, of course in true DIT form I only had one meeting and was a waste of time...still passed anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Hey,

Thanks, well in terms of the years format that clears up some things for me! :)

And, I'm studying Human Resources - not 100% what topic I'm going to go ahead with but was thinking something along the lines of Social Media as a 'HR tool'? :P

Advertisement