Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clever Camper

Options
  • 31-07-2013 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

More of lurker than poster here as don't actually have camper or caravan :(

However came across this, thought it was genius and some here would appreciate it, probably not really worth its on thread but didn't know where else to put, anyway enjoy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Love it !! Serious manoeuvrability.

:D
    That beetle won't last long towing that.
    1.2L air cooled rear engine with the ventilation blocked :eek:. I'd give it two days over 20°C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

How is the ventilation blocked? I remember vws towing trailers at home, that you wouldn't think of putting behind a small car nowadays. I don't know much about the mechanics of them but I remember a powerful fan driving the air, they just drove and drove.

The trailer bulkhead is preventing the draw off the back of the car. The heat will swirl more that stream. I suspect more heat will be retained as the drag is increased. 20mpg, that car is already under severe pressure (depending on what MPG report you believe for it). Say it needs second gear to climb a hill at 10kmp/h, I'd be dubious. My understanding is air cooled engines only work when they're moving, traffic and hills kill them.

Beetles are troopers, I drove one across South America in 30°C with the boot strapped up to the roof. No problems apart from 52 seater buses driving us off the road overtaking 40 foot trucks in the middle of the night.

I can't be sure but as a rule of thumb I wouldn't tow anything larger than the towing vehicle, the exception being tractors and 4x4's.

I know there's a big weight difference between the videos and the I'd take a bug over that French looking motor any day, this is what I thought of soon as I saw the OP post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Air cooled motors in auto use have a fan blowing ducted air around them. Usually big oil coolers too. The only fanless ones I know of are go karts and generators etc.

• Advertisement

:o Ah. Fair enough, disregard my earlier as misinformed then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

The trailer bulkhead is preventing the draw off the back of the car. The heat will swirl more that stream. I suspect more heat will be retained as the drag is increased. 20mpg, that car is already under severe pressure (depending on what MPG report you believe for it). Say it needs second gear to climb a hill at 10kmp/h, I'd be dubious. My understanding is air cooled engines only work when they're moving, traffic and hills kill them.

Beetles are troopers, I drove one across South America in 30°C with the boot strapped up to the roof. No problems apart from 52 seater buses driving us off the road overtaking 40 foot trucks in the middle of the night.

I can't be sure but as a rule of thumb I wouldn't tow anything larger than the towing vehicle, the exception being tractors and 4x4's.

I know there's a big weight difference between the videos and the I'd take a bug over that French looking motor any day, this is what I thought of soon as I saw the OP post.

Was that filmed on the way up to that new camp site at Dunmore East by any chance :D

Advertisement