Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card help

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Probably depends on if your motherboard supports PCI-E I imagine.

Also, some graphics card require an extra power connection from the motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

From the linked PDF:
    Slots
    Tower: (2) FH PCI, (1) FH PCIe 16x, (1) FH PCIe x1
    SFF: (1) LP PCI, (1) LP PCIe 16x
    Eco USFF: (1) LP PCI
    FH = full height
    LP = low profile

SFF = small form factor
    USFF = ultra small form factor

Looks like you'll definitely have room for a graphics card, unless you have the Eco USFF version.

The card you linked to seems fine for media centre stuff, but it looks really old. Newer cards similar to that would include the AMD HD5450 or an Nvidia GeForce GT610. Most ultra low-budget cards are low profile anyway, and usually have mounting brackets in the package too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I've just read up on displayport. The pc has a displayport port and I can buy a displayport to hdmi connector which apparently does as good a job as hdmi. Have you heard of this displayport and is it as good as hdmi?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭whizbang

Yep, the displayport is good enough, but very dependent on the adapter you plug into it. Good ones are not cheap either.

I seriously doubt you will find a graphics card that will fit the case you have.
    NEW Eco uSFF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If it is the Eco SFF model that only has low profile PCI, then this will be OK too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

jarvis wrote: »
    I've just read up on displayport. The pc has a displayport port and I can buy a displayport to hdmi connector which apparently does as good a job as hdmi. Have you heard of this displayport and is it as good as hdmi?

Since what you're using looks to be a business computer, I doubt that the displayport is powered by a separate graphics card, but rather direct from the CPU. I wouldn't recommend using that displayport, since the PDF you linked to lists a bunch of CPUs on page 3, none of which I'd consider using for smooth 1080p video playback. Get a Radeon HD 5450 or the 610 that someone mentioned earlier and go HDMI out from that card to your TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    Since what you're using looks to be a business computer, I doubt that the displayport is powered by a separate graphics card, but rather direct from the CPU. I wouldn't recommend using that displayport, since the PDF you linked to lists a bunch of CPUs on page 3, none of which I'd consider using for smooth 1080p video playback. Get a Radeon HD 5450 or the 610 that someone mentioned earlier and go HDMI out from that card to your TV.

Yes it's a business pc. I've been using it to watch 1080p for a year now both local hard drive and steaming an it handles it fine. I've a 1080 Sony Bravia connected via VGA and the tv resolution is 1080, streaming 1080p 5.1 sound files of up to 10gb without any stuttering or buffering. Why would displayport struggle?

Advertisement