Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Lights - No Coloured Wiring

Options
  • 31-07-2013 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all,
    I am trying to replace an old flurescent light with a new fixture in the kitchen.
    When I removed the flurescent light I had 4 cables exposed. None identified, and all just the same grey colour. all wires are separate !!
    Please see pic attached that I took before removing the Flurescent fixture.
    3 wires were connected together while another wire was on its own.
    So basically a 2 wire system for the flursecent light.
    New light fixture requires L N and E.
    I attached 3 wires to N and the single wire to N. The light doesn't come on.
    Can someone help me to identify each wire?
    There are 2 light switches in the kitchen. one for this light and the other for a outdoor Garden light. Are these connected together ?
    At the moment, I removed flurescent light fixture and just have the cables wrapped together as they were when the flurescent light was in place but now even the outdoor light will not come on.
    I also attach a pic of the inside of the flurescent light .
    Any help please.
    R

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭mikeoneill893

normally i use a non-contact tester to identify switch wire in those situations
    if i get mixed-up on colours

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuDbBVmaF4PP0xSPVcNRhQLxZ2kDosyffUhOP_8Tq5a0Y6bRHd

also fitting should be earthed

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rwaldron21

just to let you know it turns out that when I cut back the grey outer cover I had 3 black cables and 1 red cable .
    cables where bunched together black red black, and a black on its own.
    re-arranged the 3 blacks together ( neutral ) and the red seperate ( Live)
    all working now.

Advertisement