Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭jones 19

Anyone catch the text sent that mentioned golden shower, I may have to go to play back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

jones 19 wrote: »
    Anyone catch the text sent that mentioned golden shower, I may have to go to play back.

Yeah watersports!!!!

hahaha really weird hearing Pat Kenny reading that one out !

I only caught the end of it, I wonder did PK know what it all meant ? surely he must have .... then again ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

In future, if Pat Kenny is not available, just cancel the show altogether. Cos I'm not prepared to have Battle Of The W@nkers on my radio between Tubridy and Jonathan Healy.

I'm sick to death of Jonathan Healy popping up everywhere. Please Newstalk, get rid of him and all of his smart ar$e asides... Complete w*nker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I wasn't too impressed with the Jonathon's interview with the man from the circus talking about the animals in it. Now you can agree or disagree with using animals in circuses, but surely Jonathon should have come across in a neutral way. It was clear to me which side he was on.

Now the chap from the circus did have a point about these animals were never brought up in the Savannah, so if put there now, probably wouldn't survive there.

I could hear the PC -ness in Healy tone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Newstalk hacks like Healy believe that the PC view is the same as a neutral view - or am I being too charitable?

The crazy thing is .... I actually liked Jonathan Healy when he first started. The reports that he does for Pat Kenny show signs of talent as well. But the fact that he finishes every sentence with something like "but shur the politicians will be on their holidays when that is happening... ha ha ha" or "shur that sounds like something Donald Trump would say... ha ha ha". Cheap, unfunny, populist nonsense. If he cut that rubbish out, he would be soooo much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

...But the fact that he finishes every sentence with something like "but shur the politicians will be on their holidays when that is happening... ha ha ha" or "shur that sounds like something Donald Trump would say... ha ha ha". Cheap, unfunny, populist nonsense. If he cut that rubbish out, he would be soooo much better.

Nail on head. Those generalisations - especially the politician on holidays one - really cheapen what he does. They're the sort of clichéd comments I'd expect from an opinionated auld lad in a pub, not a supposedly competent current affairs presenter. We all give out about our TDs, some more than others. I freely admit that there are some in the Dáil who aren't up to scratch. But to dismiss every single one of them in the Dáil with such glib generalisations is an insult to the listener's intelligence. I'd rather have facts and make my own mind up, not have an opinionated smartass making that decision for me.

Oh ffs. AGAIN, Newstalk?? AGAIN??

That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

That is all.

Honestly, it feels like a 50:50 chance Pat'll be presenting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Honestly, it feels like a 50:50 chance Pat'll be presenting.
    Hold off on th'oul judgement there folks - Pat may have health problems or something else that we don't (need to) know about - I doubt when Newstalk signed him up they thought he's be off this often.

Presuming that he's an independent contractor with them (as he was with RTE), (you'd imagine) he'd be paid per show - no show, no pay.

I take the point though that "The Pat Kenny Show" it ain't, if Pat is only there half the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Pat's exasperation with the failed water charges is hilarious to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

No, it's not hilarious, it's a sad reflection on the failure of a large section of Irish people to grasp the reality that water is a utility which should be paid for in the same way as any other utility.
    I don't blame the politicians involved, I blame the idiots who voted for them.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    No, it's not hilarious, it's a sad reflection on the failure of a large section of Irish people to grasp the reality that water is a utility which should be paid for in the same way as any other utility.
    I don't blame the politicians involved, I blame the idiots who voted for them.

So, you don't blame the politicians who set up a shoddy gravy train quango that awarded meter installation contracts to their rich mates, but you do blame the ordinary people who took a stand against it and refused to financially prop it up? Nice logic there.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

So, you don't blame the politicians who set up a shoddy gravy train quango that awarded meter installation contracts to their rich mates, but you do blame the ordinary people who took a stand against it and refused to financially prop it up? Nice logic there.....

So, where did these politicians come from; did they arrive in a space ship from an alien planet?
    The politicians who did what you say were elected by the people and do exactly as the people who elected them expect. Otherwise they don't get reelected. In a democracy, the ultimate responsibility for all political decisions lies with the people.
    Voters don't cast their votes for the good of society or the good of the country. They vote for entirely selfish reasons. When they do that, they can't be surprised when the representatives they elect act in an entirely selfish way.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    So, where did these politicians come from; did they arrive in a space ship from an alien planet?
    The politicians who did what you say were elected by the people and do exactly as the people who elected them expect.
    Otherwise they don't get reelected. In a democracy, the ultimate responsibility for all political decisions lies with the people.
    Voters don't cast their votes for the good of society or the good of the country. They vote for entirely selfish reasons. When they do that, they can't be surprised when the representatives they elect act in an entirely selfish way.

Really? I seem to remember Enda Kenny saying that it was morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home. It didn't stop him from endorsing the property tax that his EU masters imposed on us. I also seem to remember the Labour Party constantly banging the drum in their opposition to water charges since the 1970's, yet the biggest cheerleader for water charges outside of Big Phil was that fool Alan Kelly, but you still blame the electorate for voting for these chumps who say one thing and then act completely differently when they get into government?

It was funny alright - Pat didn't even pretend to be non-biased ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Roger_007 wrote:
    No, it's not hilarious, it's a sad reflection on the failure of a large section of Irish people to grasp the reality that water is a utility which should be paid for in the same way as any other utility. I don't blame the politicians involved, I blame the idiots who voted for them.

Well said, number one problem in country is rent/mortgage costs followed by health service yet this has town blocked every Saturday by people who have housing and healthcare paid for by state and don't want to pay a cent for anything, really pisses me off, Pat's 100% correct.

Well said, number one problem in country is rent/mortgage costs followed by health service yet this has town blocked every Saturday by people who have housing and healthcare paid for by state and don't want to pay a cent for anything, really pisses me off, Pat's 100% correct.
    Every Saturday?

I drive between Drumcondra and Rathmines every weekend and plenty of weekdays, and although there was a water protest last weekend, that's been happening only a few times per year.

Prior to that, I honestly cannot remember the last time I took a detour because of a protest.

In each case, it cost me a few extra minutes (at most) to go via Gardiner Street or further down Dorset Street.

Are you certain that you're not exaggerating? It's not happening every month, let alone every weekend.

By the way, I agree with paying for water, and in fact, I agree with paying for my share of anything. But you seem to be way off the mark here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

Pats on about the water charges again. Can't imagine why;)

• Advertisement

Cervantes2 wrote: »
    Pats on about the water charges again. Can't imagine why;)

A Denis O'Brien mouthpiece with no sense of objectivity anymore.

A Denis O'Brien mouthpiece with no sense of objectivity anymore.
    IMO Pat was tending towards his now openly-expressed views before he left RTE, and so I do believe him when he said at the time that he jumped, that it wasn't simply about money.

Now, freed from RTE's shackles, he can express his views freely, which happily coincide with those of the person who is paying his salary.

Mind you, I thought that all radio stations were supposed to be balanced - if only there was some sort of Broadcasting Authority who would ensure that that was the case ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

serfboard wrote: »
    IMO Pat was tending towards his now openly-expressed views before he left RTE, and so I do believe him when he said at the time that he jumped, that it wasn't simply about money.

Now, freed from RTE's shackles, he can express his views freely, which happily coincide with those of the person who is paying his salary.

Mind you, I thought that all radio stations were supposed to be balanced - if only there was some sort of Broadcasting Authority who would ensure that that was the case ...

The last two things I've heard Pat get exercised to any degree about were Dail privilege and water charges.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

In fairness there's an awful awful lot to get exercised about on those two items.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    In fairness there's an awful awful lot to get exercised about on those two items.

Perhaps, but why these two issues in particular? Championing causes your boss has a personal interest in never harmed anyone's career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

As a broadcaster in Ireland he's reached every pinnacle, saying he's concentrating on certain topics because of where he works is for the conspiracy theories.

am I missing something. or is it impossible to listen to the full Pay Kenny show on the newstalk app?

I am pretty busy at work during Pat's timeslot, so I usually try to podcast what ive missed. But instead of being able to listen to the show, the NT app only offers a couple of highlights.

Is that it? I can listen to Sean Ó Rourke throughout, but I'd much rather hear Pat's sweet, sweet voice and searing logic. Love you, Pat xx

I can listen to Sean Ó Rourke throughout, but I'd much rather hear Pat's sweet, sweet voice and searing logic. Love you, Pat xx
    A bit tired and emotional while posting this, were we? :)

ThisRegard wrote: »
    As a broadcaster in Ireland he's reached every pinnacle, saying he's concentrating on certain topics because of where he works is for the conspiracy theories.

I don't agree. Pat's transfer to Newstalk hasn't gone as well as expected. Which I wouldn't blame him for, RTE Radio 1 is just too dominant and those expectations were unrealistic. And I think there is a very definite air of someone playing to the gallery when covers these two issues. Or playing to someone other then the audience.

• Advertisement

Michael O'Regan is getting worse. He should stop trying to be a stand up and go back to the straight reporting. He's a good reporter when he's not telling knock knock jokes.

Advertisement