Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Michael O'Regan is getting worse. He should stop trying to be a stand up and go back to the straight reporting. He's a good reporter when he's not telling knock knock jokes.

The rot started with John Drennan :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    I don't agree. Pat's transfer to Newstalk hasn't gone as well as expected. Which I wouldn't blame him for, RTE Radio 1 is just too dominant and those expectations were unrealistic. And I think there is a very definite air of someone playing to the gallery when covers these two issues. Or playing to someone other then the audience.

What were the expectations? He was never going to get audiences anything like what RTE get. None of the independent stations do and they're unlikely to ever get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

What were the expectations? He was never going to get audiences anything like what RTE get. None of the independent stations do and they're unlikely to ever get them.

There was target of 150,000 listeners by a certain time mention by himself a couple of years ago, that deadline has long since been past. He's just about reaching those numbers now, although with the help of an extra half hour. I think the real surprise is he hasn't taken any listeners away from Sean O'Rourke. In fact, O'Rourke is doing better than Pat ever did over in RTE.

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    There was target of 150,000 listeners by a certain time mention by himself a couple of years ago, that deadline has long since been past. He's just about reaching those numbers now, although with the help of an extra half hour. I think the real surprise is he hasn't taken any listeners away from Sean O'Rourke. In fact, O'Rourke is doing better than Pat ever did over in RTE.

Are you sure you're not splitting hairs? He's now at 146k, up from 126k in Q1 2016. So what if that deadline has been past(sic)? He's slowly but steadily listeners and is doing well seeing as he's on a radio station that doesn't pull in huge numbers anyway. For what it's worth, I think his Newstalk radio show has improved over time and is better than it was. Let's not forget that he moved from a well-oiled and long-established program on RTE to one that seemed to be staffed by transition year students. I doubt the powers that be in Newstalk will be particularly perturbed by the figures. What's the alternative? Get rid of Pat and stick in a lightweight like Jonathan Healy? Newstalk's current affairs team is so threadbare, they had to recruit Paul Williams for their breakfast show!

He was always going to be up against it with Sean O'Rourke on RTE. For starters there are lots of people out there who never change radio stations and wouldn't even know where to find Newstalk on the dial. Secondly, Seán O'Rourke was a logical successor to Pat on RTE. Unless he made an utter bags of things, his show was always going to do fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Are you sure you're not splitting hairs?

No, I don't think so? I'm going back over two years ago, maybe more. There was an expectation that that he would break the 150,000 then. A portion of this books increase would be down to the extra half a hour. I still think that when Newstalk poached him they would have expected to have more listeners than he does nearly four years down the line. But he is up against the might of RTE Radio One and Ivan going walkabout for year hasn't helped either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Ruth Coppinger would drain every ounce of your will to live. Has she ever said anything positive in her life??

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Ruth Coppinger would drain every ounce of your will to live. Has she ever said anything positive in her life??

She is positively against everything, does that count???

lol... Matty is taking the p1ss now... "one woman protest against christmas". :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I think this is the first time that I agree with something that Coppinger says. There should be no religious trappings in the Dail, or in the constitution.

The McCanns, this should controversial.

• Advertisement

Deedsie wrote: »
    Ah of course she is right, it should be a non denominational spiritual reflection or nothing. That doesnt stop her unbearable whining any less palatable.

Any reasonable suggestion she ever makes is lost in the fact that she is always so negative and cynical. I have no idea how people ever voted for her, I guess it shows you where their own heads are at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

The McCanns, this should controversial.

Not really controversial. There is nothing new to report. The McCanns version of events remains just as implausible 10 years on as it did at the time. That is why the case still attracts attention.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Not really controversial. There is nothing new to report. The McCanns version of events remains just as implausible 10 years on as it did at the time. That is why the case still attracts attention.

Did you see that Embedded Confessions thing on youtube with the statement analyist up on youtube, Roger. Interesting viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Deedsie wrote: »
    Ruth Coppinger is some dose.

Mattie McGrath & Coppinger. Must be the two worst orators ever to step forth from this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I think the reason it still attracts attention is because of "missing white woman syndrome", which is something I only came accross yesterday! (i.e. I knew about the concept, but not the term).

Basically, if the McCanns were poor, we'd be hearing very little about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,202 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Fair play to Pat, he was just interviewing Ciaran Cuffe about the new traffic plans for Dublin City Centre.

Somebody who is getting married today text in to ask how they should get to their wedding (somewhere in the city centre) from Dorset St. Cuffe replied they should get a southbound bus. Kenny interjected saying 'its their wedding!' to which Cuffe said he got the Luas to his own wedding.

Kenny quickly ended the interview saying "Says it all really".

Couldnt help but laugh at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

BPKS wrote: »
    Fair play to Pat, he was just interviewing Ciaran Cuffe about the new traffic plans for Dublin City Centre.

Somebody who is getting married today text in to ask how they should get to their wedding (somewhere in the city centre) from Dorset St. Cuffe replied they should get a southbound bus. Kenny interjected saying 'its their wedding!' to which Cuffe said he got the Luas to his own wedding.

A funny one alright, but it's the exception that proves the rule that city centres are no place for private cars.

Unless we want congestion, of course.

Incredible such a childish man as Ed Byrne could lead a teacher's organisation. Surely all the teachers that he represents must be embarrassed by the level of the debate.

lol.. even arguments between teachers end in a reference to Hitler. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

BPKS wrote: »
    I thought Cuffe did brilliantly against Kenny's motorist centric views. Cuffe is right of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I wonder if Pat thinks women held their noses when voting for Bill Clinton as well, considering his attitude towards women wasn't much better than Donald Trump's? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Incredible such a childish man as Ed Byrne could lead a teacher's organisation. Surely all the teachers that he represents must be embarrassed by the level of the debate.

Mind you, that Alanis Morrissette routine was pretty smart:
    Team+UK+Film+Premiere+Red+Carpet+Arrivals+VJSZX36ofowm.jpg

Mind you, that Alanis Morrissette routine was pretty smart:

While I wouldn't be a big fan of that Ed Byrne, that's actually one of my favourite sketches. Certainly his finest hour, and very clever.

"The only thing that is ironic about the song, is that it is written by somebody who doesn't know what irony means". :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

'A traffic jam when you're already late'. That's not 'ironic', that's just a pain in the hole!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

How many times is that prick Redmond going to say "Nanny State"? Big " angry for cash" head on him.

God, what a miserable, unprofessional thing for that guard to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

God, what a miserable, unprofessional thing for that guard to do.

Isn't it strange that there are so many scandals about the guards coming to light right now?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Isn't it strange that there are so many scandals about the guards coming to light right now?

It's no harm that they are, regardless of whose agenda it is to. I don't know where you'd even begin to solve the problem but the Garda Siochana is rotten from top to toe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It's no harm that they are, regardless of whose agenda it is to. I don't know where you'd even begin to solve the problem but the Garda Siochana is rotten from top to toe.

Oh, I totally agree, it's an absolute disgrace.

I just always get suspicious when there are suddenly so many reasons for one topic to take up so much of the news broadcasts, when clearly the mismanagement has been going on for years and years.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4 cotton_picker

as a nation , we have always held our police force to an incredibly low standard , in truth , most people are not too bothered about garda corruption provided it doesnt effect them personally , in a small country like ireland , most families have a guard , teacher or nurse amongst them so support for public sector bodies is very high generally

Advertisement