Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

"They could be outside playing Eye Spy or Hide And Seek". :D

yeah, in the 1920s maybe pat.

Not much point in that album really, just reselling the same songs to the same fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Not much point in that album really, just reselling the same songs to the same fans?

Dunno about that. Normally I'd agree, but I'd forgotten just how good some of their songs actually were.

Although I will admit I never got the appeal of that Zombie song. What Stuart Clark was saying about them being huge in other countries is very interesting. I was in a bar in Cuba a while ago, the band did a fairly poor version of Zombie, but the place was absolutely heaving.

I'll admit it, felt pretty proud for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It sounds great, a different take on the songs, Zombie sounds pretty different than the original (which to go against the flow I always thought was under appreciated) and I always like the orchestra approach.

She's not going to do a better cover of her own song that Mike Masse.

• Advertisement

It would be gas to get Ian O'Doherty & Micheal Graham on the same show.

It would be interesting to see how far they would go to out controversy each other just to make sure everyone knows they're the outspoken one.

Of course, the subject of the conversation wouldn't really matter. It never does, the focus of anything either of these buffoons say is simply "Look at meeeee! Hey, everyone! Listen to me telling it like it is!".

He's not getting any easier to listen to is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

He's not getting any easier to listen to is he?

No..had to turn the dial

No..had to turn the dial

Wait, come back!

You're missing the celebrity hairstyle discussion!

Bit of a throwback to Tom Dunne's morning show here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    No..had to turn the dial

Wait, come back!

You're missing the celebrity hairstyle discussion!

Bit of a throwback to Tom Dunne's morning show here.

Worse, you may have missed another sob story about an asthma sufferer. Don't get me wrong, but there is quite enough tabloid radio with this stuff.

Is Kenny copping out? Early retirement? I'd switch over but RTE is becoming more and more the state mouthpiece, except the Sunday 1 o'clock show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Dunno about that. Normally I'd agree, but I'd forgotten just how good some of their songs actually were.

Although I will admit I never got the appeal of that Zombie song. What Stuart Clark was saying about them being huge in other countries is very interesting. I was in a bar in Cuba a while ago, the band did a fairly poor version of Zombie, but the place was absolutely heaving.

I'll admit it, felt pretty proud for a wuhile.
    I bought The Cranberries - 'Something Else' album today and I love it! It's more refined and less shouty than the ordinary recordings, the strings are a great addition......I'm not sure how objective I can be when it comes to The Cranberries as they provided the soundtrack to some very happy college days (and nights) in Limerick back in the late 90's. Limerick City has received a lot of bad press down through the years but I loved my time there <3

Name calling, is that the best that Pat Kenny can give us now. Him and his "psychologist" pal dont like somebody, and so they spend fifteen minutes calling him names. Larry Donnolly on to give us a few more derogatory names after the break.

Why doesn't the psychologist give us an analysis of Michael Lowry and Denis O'Brien, see if they come up with traits any different to Donald Trump?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Name calling, is that the best that Pat Kenny can give us now. Him and his "psychologist" pal dont like somebody, and so they spend fifteen minutes calling him names. Larry Donnolly on to give us a few more derogatory names after the break.

Why doesn't the psychologist give us an analysis of Michael Lowry and Denis O'Brien, see if they come up with traits any different to Donald Trump?

Because they were talking about how Kenny and Trump changed as they were in power. And what name calling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Some delusional Trumpechaun texted in saying that Trump is "playing a game of chess" while his detractors are only playing checkers...

Some delusional Trumpechaun texted in saying that Trump is "playing a game of chess" while his detractors are only playing checkers...

Hey, man, he's just telling it like it is.

Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Glad to have Pat back that Jonathan bloke is beyond woeful.

Did you coin that word? Trumpechaun? I love it. Sums up those angry little men perfectly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Did you coin that word? Trumpechaun? I love it. Sums up those angry little men perfectly!

I did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Glad to have Pat back that Jonathan bloke is beyond woeful.
    I used to like Jonathan a lot when he first started presenting Newstalk Lunchtime but somewhere along the way he turned into a smart Alec - know it all type. At times I felt his behaviour was very juvenile and when it wasn't, he was on his personal soapbox pontificating to the listeners. In the end, I just couldn't bear to listen to him anymore and I switched off.

On a purely human level, I feel very sorry for the guy, he is young man with a family to support - he once had a high profile daily programme every Lunchtime and lost it, he was then moved to Sunday Mornings and lost that too and is now down to standing in for Pat and making short feature reports. In someways he reminds me a bit of Alan Cantwell, another guy who had a very high opinion of himself but found himself out of work for a very long time. I hope Jonathan can get his career back on track, I feel he has the potential to be a decent broadcaster but he needs to rein in the snide/smart arse side of his personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

One of these days Denis O'Brien's media empire is going to come off the rails and there will be a lot more than Jonathan Healy in trouble. Even his own spin doctors have a difficulty explaining what is really going on at Communicorp.

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/newstalk-owner-has-63pc-boost-in-revenue-34220927.html

• Advertisement

I used to like Jonathan a lot when he first started presenting Newstalk Lunchtime but somewhere along the way he turned into a smart Alec - know it all type. At times I felt his behaviour was very juvenile and when it wasn't, he was on his personal soapbox pontificating to the listeners. In the end, I just couldn't bear to listen to him anymore and I switched off.

On a purely human level, I feel very sorry for the guy, he is young man with a family to support - he once had a high profile daily programme every Lunchtime and lost it, he was then moved to Sunday Mornings and lost that too and is now down to standing in for Pat and making short feature reports. In someways he reminds me a bit of Alan Cantwell, another guy who had a very high opinion of himself but found himself out of work for a very long time. I hope Jonathan can get his career back on track, I feel he has the potential to be a decent broadcaster but he needs to rein in the snide/smart arse side of his personality.
    That's exactly how I feel about him too.

I'd love to live next door to Jonathan Healy. He'd be polite as hell, would lend you his lawnmower, and there'd never be a miog out of him after 10pm. I probably wouldn't invite him over for beers on a Saturday, mind you, is that a bit mean?

Anyway, as a radio presenter, I could happily (okay, ambivalently) listen to his Lunchtime show. In fairness, it wasn't a difficult choice between listeneing to Jonathan Healy or Ronan Collins.

But if I catch him filling in for Pat, I immediately switch off. This isn't obloquy; I'm not saying any of this to be disparaging or personal, I just think that as Newstalk has grown and improved, Jonathan Healy hasn't.

That's exactly how I feel about him too.

I'd love to live next door to Jonathan Healy. He'd be polite as hell, would lend you his lawnmower, and there'd never be a miog out of him after 10pm. I probably wouldn't invite him over for beers on a Saturday, mind you, is that a bit mean?

Anyway, as a radio presenter, I could happily (okay, ambivalently) listen to his Lunchtime show. In fairness, it wasn't a difficult choice between listeneing to Jonathan Healy or Ronan Collins.

But if I catch him filling in for Pat, I immediately switch off. This isn't obloquy; I'm not saying any of this to be disparaging or personal, I just think that as Newstalk has grown and improved, Jonathan Healy hasn't.

You had me nodding in agreement until this. I think all Irish radio - at least those that I listen to (RTE/Today FM/Newstalk) have gone to the dogs. I have the Beeb on at night - go to sleep with World Service and wake up as it changes back.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Del.Monte wrote: »
    One of these days Denis O'Brien's media empire is going to come off the rails and there will be a lot more than Jonathan Healy in trouble. Even his own spin doctors have a difficulty explaining what is really going on at Communicorp.

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/newstalk-owner-has-63pc-boost-in-revenue-34220927.html

Y'know that link is 2 years old and brings you to a Denis O'Brien owned news website?

Jonathan Healy is just unbearable at this stage. Can you imagine having somebody that cynical and negative around the place, it must be toxic. Can you imagine what he must have been saying to the other staff when he got dropped? Even introducing the first topic yesterday he couldn't help himself. He reads out the first line of the story, and interjects his own cynical, smart ar$e aside on it. I just switched right off.

I switch on Tubridy when Healy is covering for Pat. THAT is how bad he is.

Jonathan Healy is just unbearable at this stage. Can you imagine having somebody that cynical and negative around the place, it must be toxic. Can you imagine what he must have been saying to the other staff when he got dropped? Even introducing the first topic yesterday he couldn't help himself. He reads out the first line of the story, and interjects his own cynical, smart ar$e aside on it. I just switched right off.

I switch on Tubridy when Healy is covering for Pat. THAT is how bad he is.

Heals for the LLS.

That what I say.

humberklog wrote: »
    Y'know that link is 2 years old and brings you to a Denis O'Brien owned news website?

Which is why I mentioned that even his own spin doctors have problems.

Heals for the LLS. That what I say.

Yeah, you know exactly what I'm thinking Donie..

I didn't think the bar could go any lower.

Oh just go away Coppinger, it's the weekend. Can you take one day off from being a negative whingebag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Oh just go away Coppinger, it's the weekend. Can you take one day off from being a negative whingebag.
    Thanks for the heads up. I was about to tune in but I think I'll leave it until SO'R @10. Or maybe until she is hone off the airways. I'm not in form for moan moan moan today.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

When the lad from Iona institute seems balanced and pragmatic, its a bad sign deputy coppinger

Advertisement