Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

judeboy101 wrote: »
    When the lad from Iona institute seems balanced and pragmatic, its a bad sign deputy coppinger

what was the name of yer man on with Coppinger? i was listening this morning and was aghast at his disingenuousness... I normally wouldn't like to align myself with the PPPAAA crowd (or any politicians i suppose) but RC defo had the right side of this issue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

nhur wrote: »
    what was the name of yer man on with Coppinger? i was listening this morning and was aghast at his disingenuousness... I normally wouldn't like to align myself with the PPPAAA crowd (or any politicians i suppose) but RC defo had the right side of this issue...

David Quinn I believe. Director of Iona Institute.

If I posted my opinion of that man, I'd have to ban myself from the forum, so I'll just move on. Didn't hear the interview thankfully, when I heard he'd be on, I switched to 5 Live. Can't be dealing with him on a Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Can't be dealing with him on a Friday.

Ha! cheers. Yeah ... I was pretty irate when i got into work. I'm kind of appalled by the whole thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

My God, Newstalk even use a terrorist attack as an excuse to attack Trump on his lack of vocabulary. Pathetic from Pat Kenny, you think HE would have a bit of perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

My God, Newstalk even use a terrorist attack as an excuse to attack Trump on his lack of vocabulary. Pathetic from Pat Kenny, you think HE would have a bit of perspective.

Seriously Peter, it was just a a comment from someone that they read out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

My God, you even use a terrorist attack as an excuse to get outraged on behalf of Trump. Pathetic. You should have a bit of perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Jonathan Healy started writing for the Sunday Business Post last Sunday. I'm not sure if it's going to be regular thing but I wish him well as he isn't getting too much work from Newstalk these days.

Seanie Fizpatrick has been acquitted :eek:

Edit: https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0523/877300-sean-fitzpatrick/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Seanie Fizpatrick has been acquitted :eek:

Edit: https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0523/877300-sean-fitzpatrick/

What the f**k?

Wait now, so all you need to do to be acquitted of anything is to have to prosecution try too hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I didn't hear much of the show today but I did hear this. I absolutely love Pat Kenny but he sure reads the anti-Trump texts with gusto.

Last week he said Spicers deputy (Mike Huckabess daughter name escapes me) made a fool of herself when covering for him. I thought she did a good job given the unenviable situation and I couldn't find much online that slammed her like Pat suggested.

I wouldn't normally be a defender of Trump's vocabulary or general buffoonery in public but I can't say I saw anything wrong with his statement today and loser is quite an appropriate term for this person.

If nothing else it makes a change from the same old **** we hear from every other politician around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    What the f**k?

Wait now, so all you need to do to be acquitted of anything is to have to prosecution try too hard?

Don't be ridiculous.

The prosecution interfered with evidence, coached witnesses. That is completely unacceptable and your desire for a pound of flesh doesn't make it any more acceptable.

Cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I was very surprised the trial continued so long.

This was all reported as the trial progressed and it was always heading to this conclusion. As much as it pains to see Mr Fitzpatrick walk free you can't have evidence shredded and witnesses coached.

I'll amazed my TV survived his smug statement to the press :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Skid X wrote: »
    I was very surprised the trial continued so long.

This was all reported as the trial progressed and it was always heading to this conclusion. As much as it pains to see Mr Fitzpatrick walk free you can't have evidence shredded and witnesses coached.

Agreed, but what was shredded - that we will never know. The corruption in this country is quite unreal and the shredding could have been for any number of reasons and whose to say it wasn't motivated by .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,336 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Agreed, but what was shredded - that we will never know. The corruption in this country is quite unreal and the shredding could have been for any number of reasons and whose to say it wasn't motivated by .....

I think corruption is quite real in every country. But in Ireland and probably other countries it is a criminal offence, so the only real measure would be the number of convictions recorded.

However the perception of corruption is something which is also measured, by those who set themselves up to do so. They place Ireland at 19th best out of 176 in the latest index.

http://transparency.ie/news_events/corruption-perceptions-index-2016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Don't be ridiculous.

The prosecution interfered with evidence, coached witnesses. That is completely unacceptable and your desire for a pound of flesh doesn't make it any more acceptable.

Cop on.

I didn't say it was at all acceptable. My, my, you're defensive.

Perhaps I misunderstood, the prosecution messed up, so the case is effectively abandoned. So, there's no verdict, it's just let's all just forget about it.

What have I missed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

?height=528

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

poor aul pat.

he REALLY hates the water protesters winning.

:D

It goes without saying Leo Varadkar is an excellent communicator but I thought Simon Conveney performed well this morning, it was one of his better interviews.

• Advertisement

my money is on Simon to win TBH.

People always forget all the Machiavellian dark arts at work behind the scenes in political parties and reilly didnt resign as president of FG for a laugh.

Remember everyone wrote off enda in the heave and with two weeks to go theres loads that can happen.

that said if Leo won i'd be perfectly happy.

i wouldnt vote FG to save my life and nobody screams privileged Tory boy like Leo. he'll only attract the usual voting cohort of the blueshirts and precious little else.

People always forget all the Machiavellian dark arts at work behind the scenes in political parties and reilly didnt resign as president of FG for a laugh.

Remember everyone wrote off enda in the heave and with two weeks to go theres loads that can happen.

that said if Leo won i'd be perfectly happy.

i wouldnt vote FG to save my life and nobody screams privileged Tory boy like Leo. he'll only attract the usual voting cohort of the blueshirts and precious little else.
    I don't share your optimism (I wish I did).

I'm just after watching an interview Simon gave Vincent Browne, Vinny gave him some grilling, like only he can :D ...... but in all fairness to Simon, he performed very well. I've listened to Simon hum and hah his way through interviews in the past but in the two interviews I listened to today there was massive improvement in his ability to get his message across. He won't win the leadership contest but I reckon he will do well with the grassroots FG members. The guy has gone way up in my estimation, he has liathroidi.

I just don't see how you get this, not with the numbers where they are at the moment. Are you expecting a huge amount of them to swap. You would think that FG would be better off just calling Leo as the leader at this stage, as the debates (and further contributions from Kate O'Connell) may leave lasting divisions within the party.

thats exactly what i think is gonna happen.

leos' gotta keep EVERYONE happy. simon can sack the entire cabinet and stuff it with his people. thats a very powerful postion to be in. i bet you anything right now james reilly is schmoozing those he thinks are wavers and asking them "what do you want to switch your vote"

all he needs then is for leo to put his foot in his mouth and they'll be off like lemmings.

dont think any of these guys love leo, theyre polticians, theyre in this for themselves. this is gonna get DIRTY.

wait n see.

Last Friday, our two Clare Fine Gael TDs - Joe Carey & Pat Breen were like two nodding puppies beside Simon Coveney during a press conference in Clare. By midnight both TDs had declared for Leo as soon as Simon had safely exited the county.

In this week's Clare Champion Newspaper, the eight sitting Fine Gael county councillors were asked who they would be supporting in the leadership contest. So far, no one has declared for Leo, with the majority leaning towards Simon, as Clare is a rural constituency it's probably not that surprising. However, it would appear our two TDs are out of touch with the FG grassroots, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Cllr Pat Burke - still undecided
    Cllr Joe Cooney - Simon Coveney
    Cllr John Crowe - still undecided
    Cllr Johnny Flynn - Undeclared but 'I've a strong leaning towards Simon Coveney'
    Cllr Mary Howard - Simon Coveney
    Cllr Gabriel Keating - Undeclared 'At the moment I'd have a leaning towards Simon Coveney'
    Cllr Paul Murphy - Simon Coveney
    Cllr Bill Slattery - Undeclared

For the political anoraks out there like myself :o FG will be streaming the first of four FG leaderships debates at 8pm this evening on their website

https://www.finegael.ie/leadership-campaign-2017/

i know its a different show (and station) but the late debate on RTE tonight was pretty much all about that first hustings .

plenty of roaring from the panal for those interested in streaming it.

:)

Pats having a hard time with trumps first foreign visit goin off without a hitch.

:D

Between this and Leo losing the husting last night its a bad day for team dinny .

What can be done to make Jonathan Healy just go away forever. I swear to god their fire him from one job, and you come in to the office the next morning and he's making pancakes in the canteen.

I'm listening on playback to this man speaking about his daughter sleeping in his car with her five children.

My blood is boiling. I am very much on the political left but where is the family?

This man says his other daughter, this woman's sister, only has one spare room. well Jesus, put them in that! isn't it better to sleep there than all be crowded into one car?

He says he cant take them in because his wife is grieving for another dead son. I'm sorry, but take them in. These children's lives matter more than one who has sadly died.

The family will still eligible for social housing if living in unsuitable conditions with relatives, but for Christ's sake, whatever happened to family esponsibility?

I fully agree with the obligation of the state to house this misfortunate family, but that doesn't mean the family should be absolved of all its natural responsibilities in the meantime.

I'm disappointed Pat didn't challenge the woman's father on this point. He has a responsibility here as a father and as a grandfather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

I'm listening on playback to this man speaking about his daughter sleeping in his car with her five children.

My blood is boiling. I am very much on the political left but where is the family?

This man says his other daughter, this woman's sister, only has one spare room. well Jesus, put them in that! isn't it better to sleep there than all be crowded into one car?

He says he cant take them in because his wife is grieving for another dead son. I'm sorry, but take them in. These children's lives matter more than one who has sadly died.

The family will still eligible for social housing if living in unsuitable conditions with relatives, but for Christ's sake, whatever happened to family esponsibility?

I fully agree with the obligation of the state to house this misfortunate family, but that doesn't mean the family should be absolved of all its natural responsibilities in the meantime.

I'm disappointed Pat didn't challenge the woman's father on this point. He has a responsibility here as a father and as a grandfather.

How could you sleep at night knowing your daughter and grandchildren are sleeping in a car . I just don't get it.

Advertisement