Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

while truly insufferable

It's the battle of the insufferables at the moment. I turned on Healy, then over to Tubridy, then back over to Healy.... then threw the radio out the window.

The best play for Newstalk would have been to put Cuddihy in for Pat Kenny, as was suggested above. He's a journalist, and there's just something likeable about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

What I can't understand is why they persist in putting this annoying, second-rate broadcaster on air. Especially in the slot where they are trying to build an audience against the juggernaut that is RTE. I'd love to know how many people reach for the Off switch when they hear Healy's sanctimonious tones at the start of the show? Is there really nobody else out there they can call on when Pat Kenny takes his holidays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

I don't understand why they don't use Ivan more as a stand in for Pat. Anytime he has stood in for him, he was streets ahead of Healy.

People don't fly tip because they can't afford it. What a load of nonsense from Claire Daly. She never seems to hold her own constituents to the same high standards that she holds the Guards, Government Ministers, the US.....

Did I not hear an advertisement for Pat Kenny being on at 10am today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

FFS, its coming on a month now with Healey, Nice long Holiday for Pat, but they really need to get a better replacement in I just can't listen to him, I end up just turning off radio after 9 as I can't stand Tubs on RTE, Back on to RTE after 10. Ivan should be the goto replacement for Pat,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Oh thank Jesus.

Pats back .

Pat rabbitt was just on talking about RTE and the licence fee.

The hate he has for the general public is joyous to behold .

Clearly still raging they won't respect "their betters "

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Rascal Donoghue comin up...im out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Pat Kenny covering the story about a doctor in ww2 and a sword........again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Anyone remember the two drugs that that legend prof Luke O'Neill name checked for managing inflammation this am??

It seems managing and limiting inflammation is regarded as a primary factor in increasing life expectancy & quality of life. Bring it on, I say!!

• Advertisement

So Trump (the one the press hate) is terrible for not being able to speak poetically about French history, but Macron (the one the press love) is a great lad for being able to spin why they invited Trump.

Does Lara even listen to what she says, or can SHE not even stand the sound of her own voice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

So Trump (the one the press hate) is terrible for not being able to speak poetically about French history, but Macron (the one the press love) is a great lad for being able to spin why they invited Trump.

Does Lara even listen to what she says, or can SHE not even stand the sound of her own voice?

French history? Let's see. They ran away from the Germans in 1940 and they ran away from the Vietnamese in 1954. We might get somebody to write a poem about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

French history? Let's see. They ran away from the Germans in 1940 and they ran away from the Vietnamese in 1954. We might get somebody to write a poem about it.

But they do have nuclear weapons and a magnificent aircraft carrier that would have to be taken away from them in event of WW.III. as their navy had to destroyed by the Royal Navy in WW.II.

ive missed Pats daily rants against trump.

they get funnier as time goes by.

:D

they get funnier as time goes by.
    :D

It's actually getting scary though. I don't think that there has ever been a radio station in Ireland with such a defined agenda.

I think I even heard Pat defending Denis O'Brien this morning. He's dropped all objectivity since he moved to Newstalk. He is completely biased on the water charges issue as well. Now, I agree with him on the topic, but as a professional presenter he's meant to be biased to at least pacify the BAI.

I mean he doesn't want to end up with a list of misdemeanours like Ray D'arcy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

It's actually getting scary though. I don't think that there has ever been a radio station in Ireland with such a defined agenda.

I think I even heard Pat defending Denis O'Brien this morning. He's dropped all objectivity since he moved to Newstalk. He is completely biased on the water charges issue as well. Now, I agree with him on the topic, but as a professional presenter he's meant to be biased to at least pacify the BAI.

I mean he doesn't want to end up with a list of misdemeanours like Ray D'arcy

Yep, its kinda funny, everone says the newstalk presenters barring hook are all pc liberals. They arent, they just toe the line.

Still Jonathan Healy proved that Pat is still better than the alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

I think I even heard Pat defending Denis O'Brien this morning

Don't think you did, they were discussing parliamentary privilege, and Catherine Murphys comments in relation to DOB, as a recent example of PP being challenged in court, and posed the question, would the public be more upset about abuse of PP if a TD mentioned a family court issue for example? If he didn't mention that DOB owned Newstalk people would be given out about an agenda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Scary in what respect. Pat thinks Trump is a particularly poor US President. A view shared by 57% of the US public. He has the worst approval ratings of any President at this stage of their term ever. Outside of the states the number would be even far greater still. So Pat's view is hardly a contentious one. Nor is it one the BAI would be even vaguely interest in. They only ever get involved when a topic is related to a referendum.

If Newstalk does have an anti=Trump agenda, then Hook mustn't of got the memo.

Lol, what did Joe Higgins once say out trying to debate something with Bertie..."playing handball against a haystack". Kind of sums you up here Peter you never really did get the discussion aspect of this.. I'm sure you would be more suited to blogging.

If he didn't mention that DOB owned Newstalk people would be given out about an agenda

Fair enough I withdraw that part.
    foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Kind of sums you up here Peter you never really did get the discussion aspect of this.. I'm sure you would be more suited to blogging.

Just because I dont respond within forty minutes? Like everybody else (it seems), I don't spend as much time on boards any more.

It's not just about Trump. Any mention of his name gets half of a forum against you without saying anything else. Pat actually called him a "moron" yesterday though. When did you ever think you would hear a professional broadcaster like Pat Kenny call somebody a moron. The Spurs fans called Harry Kane a mong the other week and Kevin Kilbland / Off The Ball wanted them to be banged up!!

The point is that Pat is meant to be an objective party when he is carrying out debates. He was brilliant at this with RTE. You would almost never know what position he held on any topic. But since he's moved to Newstalk, he now holds strong positions going in to the interviews, opinions that are pretty much in line with the rest of the presenters on the station. Oh and of course, they are all supportive of water charges conveniently as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Pat Kenny is like a publican that I once knew and his opinion is always that of the last person he spoke to. Anyway, I'm sticking to my line that he's no more than a jumped up DJ.

Just because I dont respond within forty minutes? Like everybody else (it seems), I don't spend as much time on boards any more.

No, it's a constant thing. I could drag up volumes of your posts that I've replied to and got nothing back. And it's not just me, if someone disagrees with, you more often than not, you just ignore it.

Hook called Trump an old eejit yesterday. RTE is the state broadcaster. It has a onus to be balanced in a way that Newtalks doesn't. Which is one of the reasons why Morning Ireland is so deadly dull.

RTE is the state broadcaster. It has a onus to be balanced in a way that Newtalks doesn't. Which is one of the reasons why Morning Ireland is so deadly dull.
    What onus?

The same rules of broadcasting apply to RTE as to the commercial stations.

I don't see any moral onus either ... RTE is the station that gives us the likes of Liveline and Ray D'Arcy.

What onus?

The same rules of broadcasting apply to RTE as to the commercial stations.

I don't see any moral onus either ... RTE is the station that gives us the likes of Liveline and Ray D'Arcy.

RTÉ's Public Service Statement 2010

http://www.rte.ie/about/en/policies-and-reports/policies-guidelines/2012/0220/290062-public-service-broadcasting-charter/

I'm not seeing anything there that would preclude an RTE host from calling Trump an old eejit. I wouldn't be surprised if Tubridy or D'arcy had said something very similar on multiple occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

It's not just about Trump. Any mention of his name gets half of a forum against you without saying anything else. Pat actually called him a "moron" yesterday though. When did you ever think you would hear a professional broadcaster like Pat Kenny call somebody a moron. The Spurs fans called Harry Kane a mong the other week and Kevin Kilbland / Off The Ball wanted them to be banged up!!

The point is that Pat is meant to be an objective party when he is carrying out debates. He was brilliant at this with RTE. You would almost never know what position he held on any topic. But since he's moved to Newstalk, he now holds strong positions going in to the interviews, opinions that are pretty much in line with the rest of the presenters on the station. Oh and of course, they are all supportive of water charges conveniently as well.

Pat used to be a thoughtful broadcaster who had varied views on different issues.

In recent months I have noticed a change.
    He seems to have drunk deeply of the zzzzzzz mainstream media liberal kool-aid.
    Whether it is the influence of DOB I don't know. After all Hook is allowed.
    It is a total change of attitude after decades of enlightened scepticism.

I'm not seeing anything there that would preclude an RTE host from calling Trump an old eejit. I wouldn't be surprised if Tubridy or D'arcy had said something very similar on multiple occasions.

I doubt it, if you can find examples of them doing so by all all means do. Pat is free to express his opinions on Newstalk in a way he never was or did in his RTE days. Could you see Hook hosting a RTE Radio 1 show, or Williams.

Could you see Hook hosting a RTE Radio 1 show, or Williams.
    I agree with you, I can't see that happening.

Nevertheless, I don't see this as being due to any codified legal or contractual constraint, but is rather a product of the editorial outlook of RTE's senior management, which is perhaps a little more stern than Newstalk, but is still discretionary on their behalf.

They are not legally 'bound' to be more 'stuffy', it's an editorial decision, as far as I can see.

I agree with you, I can't see that happening.

Nevertheless, I don't see this as being due to any codified legal or contractual constraint, but is rather a product of the editorial outlook of RTE's senior management, which is perhaps a little more stern than Newstalk, but is still discretionary on their behalf.

They are not legally 'bound' to be more 'stuffy', it's an editorial decision, as far as I can see.

Yeah, I think you're right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Tbh I hate the whole CNN Trump pantomime news that most of the world's media seems to be following but I also don't think it's all that unreasonable to call Trump a moron or an idiot - he clearly isn't terribly intelligent. I am sure that's how Pat Kenny truly feels and it's representative of a lot of this country.

I'd much prefer somebody broadcast with gloves off and state their true opinions rather than everything being masked by forced neutrality. That is bull****.

Advertisement